Gordie Clark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
Del Zotto over Carlson of the Caps? Another Clark mistake.I bam not enamoured with our drafts

Hindsights really great isn't it, it's real easy to trash a pick now that we've seen what the player has become, if Clarke was somehow a genius and could predict the future he'd be working in the stock market...

Also people complaining we haven't drafted a star look in net, there's about 25 other teams that wish they had the luck we did in getting hank.

RangersHank*

Hindsights really great isn't it, it's real easy to trash a pick now that we've seen what the player has become, if Clarke was somehow a genius and could predict the future he'd be working in the stock market...

Also people complaining we haven't drafted a star look in net, there's about 25 other teams that wish they had the luck we did in getting hank.

Call me crazy but i would rather have a star forward or star dman to build around. I love Hank but elite goalies are not a must for a cup. If we can strike gold again and Zetterberg and Hank are in the same draft in round 7 (not saying they were), who do you choose?

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Drafting 17 yr olds is sketchy no matter what sport were talking about. It's not a sure thing. Ever.

However, when you draft a consensus top 10 kid, you should have a player who not only plays as a pro but one that has a chance to be very good.

It's not only who you pick but where you pick. If you get a kid who has elite skills and smarts, you will find them in the top 10 almost exclusively every draft.

After that, things get dicey and after the top 50 kids, then numbers on average are against you.

The top 10 is not a place to fall in love with a project. It's the place you get an almost sure thing.

We are seeing what happens to a franchise that never gets a top 10 pick and hasn't had much success developing scorers with the picks we do make.

RangersHank*

Drafting 17 yr olds is sketchy no matter what sport were talking about. It's not a sure thing. Ever.

However, when you draft a consensus top 10 kid, you should have a player who not only plays as a pro but one that has a chance to be very good.

It's not only who you pick but where you pick. If you get a kid who has elite skills and smarts, you will find them in the top 10 almost exclusively every draft.

After that, things get dicey and after the top 50 kids, then numbers on average are against you.

The top 10 is not a place to fall in love with a project. It's the place you get an almost sure thing.

We are seeing what happens to a franchise that never gets a top 10 pick and hasn't had much success developing scorers with the picks we do make.

Well when there are good skilled players to draft, we pass them up so yeah.

bathgate

Jun 14, 2005

Not hindsight.People on these boards drooled about Tarasenko and Carlson in their draft years . Carlson was right handed and tough. Del Zotto was more offensive. Swap the two draft choices we took for the ones our draft board wanted and where would we be now

TheRightWay

May 16, 2012
Not hindsight.People on these boards drooled about Tarasenko and Carlson in their draft years . Carlson was right handed and tough. Del Zotto was more offensive. Swap the two draft choices we took for the ones our draft board wanted and where would we be now

People on these draft boards also threw a ****ing tantrum when Gordie Clark passed on guys like Petrov and Adam Comrie in order to pick some guy nobody heard of named Derek Stepan. I also remember a lot of people lamented Jordan Schroeder dropping down the board as the Rangers chose some risky high schooler named Kreider instead.

What you also conveniently leave out is that plenty of people were also on the Tedenby bandwagon and were disappointed when Del Zotto was chosen instead. So far, Del Zotto seems to be the far better asset.

You can play the hindsight game with every team. The Kings have been one of the best drafting teams and won a Cup largely because of it. Even so, they totally ****ed up the Thomas Hickey pick with guys like McDonagh, Couture, Gagner, and Alzner there for the taking.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
People on these draft boards also threw a ****ing tantrum when Gordie Clark passed on guys like Petrov and Adam Comrie in order to pick some guy nobody heard of named Derek Stepan. I also remember a lot of people lamented Jordan Schroeder dropping down the board as the Rangers chose some risky high schooler named Kreider instead.

What you also conveniently leave out is that plenty of people were also on the Tedenby bandwagon and were disappointed when Del Zotto was chosen instead. So far, Del Zotto seems to be the far better asset.

You can play the hindsight game with every team. The Kings have been one of the best drafting teams and won a Cup largely because of it. Even so, they totally ****ed up the Thomas Hickey pick with guys like McDonagh, Couture, Gagner, and Alzner there for the taking.

This, it's real easy to evaluate a pick 5 years down the line, outside of the kings I can't think of a team that has consistently made better picks.

bathgate

Jun 14, 2005

I am not sure you are correct. Go back to the draft years and see what people like Edge and others stated. Carlson and Tarasenko were no brainer picks. I agree Stepan was a find. Nevertheless, Carlson and Tarasenko can both be all stars for years to come. Imagine the left wings with both Kreider and Tarasenko and the first four defensemen of McDonagh, Girardi,Staal and Carlson. Should have happened

RangersHank*

Tarasenko aside, when has that happened?

Tarasenko isnt the only player we passed that year.

Jessiman over Getzlaf ,Parise, etc. Sanguinetti over Giroux, DZ over Eberle. Just saying, when there are players available, we pass on them.

RangersHank*

I am not sure you are correct. Go back to the draft years and see what people like Edge and others stated. Carlson and Tarasenko were no brainer picks. I agree Stepan was a find. Nevertheless, Carlson and Tarasenko can both be all stars for years to come. Imagine the left wings with both Kreider and Tarasenko and the first four defensemen of McDonagh, Girardi,Staal and Carlson. Should have happened

Basically. When those types of players fall into your lap, you have to grab them. This organization just doesnt.

RangersHank*

Difference between us and the Kings is that they can afford to **** a draft up, we really cant because we dont have the depth or talent. If a cant miss player is on the board, pick him for gods sake. All this crap about needing talent, needing scoring, we pass on those players and it bites us in the ass all the time. I dont care who is in the NHL and who isnt, the point is that this organization sucks at drafting top line guys

RangersHank*

Ah, right. Totally forgot we've had one draft pick since Clark took over. Are you going to get on his case again after this year's draft when he passes on someone you admittedly know nothing about?

Where are the top 6 forwards?

RangersHank*

Where are our consistent offensive threats? Stepan is nice but he isnt a #1 center, Kreider is good but will he be a top line forward? Where is our Getzlafs and Parises?

TheRightWay

May 16, 2012
Difference between us and the Kings is that they can afford to **** a draft up, we really cant because we dont have the depth or talent. If a cant miss player is on the board, pick him for gods sake. All this crap about needing talent, needing scoring, we pass on those players and it bites us in the ass all the time. I dont care who is in the NHL and who isnt, the point is that this organization sucks at drafting top line guys

Can we please use our brains here? Dylan McIlrath was drafted in 2010. Was Gordie Clark supposed to anticipate the Rangers desperately needing scoring in 2013? Another thing this team needed at the time was a bruising defenseman. There was a lot of whining about Hank getting run and everyone standing around as Dan Carcillo beat the **** out of Marian Gaborik. Gordie Clark took over at a time when the Rangers weren't very good and the prospect pool was ****ing terrible thanks to some miserable selections by his predecessors. To expect that he was going to address every need in a 4-5 years with one draft pick better than 15th overall and none better than 10th overall is ****ing ludicrous.

RangersHank*

Can we please use our brains here? Dylan McIlrath was drafted in 2010. Was Gordie Clark supposed to anticipate the Rangers desperately needing scoring in 2013? Another thing this team needed at the time was a bruising defenseman. There was a lot of whining about Hank getting run and everyone standing around as Dan Carcillo beat the **** out of Marian Gaborik. Gordie Clark took over at a time when the Rangers weren't very good and the prospect pool was ****ing terrible thanks to some miserable selections by his predecessors. To expect that he was going to address every need in a 4-5 years with one draft pick better than 15th overall and none better than 10th overall is ****ing ludicrous.

I thought you draft for the future? What happened to looking 2-3 years down the road and building for the future? You draft a player for NOW and he better play NOW, not in 2-3 years when the team decides they want a more siilled faster team.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Where are the top 6 forwards?

Yeah, I thought that's what you would come back with. Pretty easy to spot the anti-McIlrath posters. :laugh:

If your lone judgement of successful scouting and drafting is how many top-six forwards you produce, it's simply a waste of time to even discuss this.

RangersHank*

Yeah, I thought that's what you would come back with. Pretty easy to spot the anti-McIlrath posters. :laugh:

If your lone judgement of successful scouting and drafting is how many top-six forwards you produce, it's simply a waste of time to even discuss this.

Wow. I like McIlrath, but over Tarasenko,Schwartz, Coyle, Etem, i dont. I thought you draft for the future but i guess not. I hope McIlrath turns out to be good, but RIGHT NOW we can use some scoring.

TheRightWay

May 16, 2012

And imagine if St. Louis didn't take Phil McRae and instead took Stepan in 2008. Imagine if Washington took Artem Anisimov instead of Francois Boucher in 2006. Imagine if Washington didn't take Sasha Pokulok and Joe Finley in the 1st round in 2005 and instead took Martin Hanzal/Tuukka Rask and James Neal. Imagine if the Blues didn't pass on Pacioretty for Ian Cole in 2007, Toews for Erik Johnson in 2006. We can play this game with literally every team in the NHL. Nobody has a 100% success rate. And for every Tarasenko whose drop looked silly in hindsight there are a bunch of Angelo Esposito's that everyone champions as a coup yet never pans out.

TheRightWay

May 16, 2012
I thought you draft for the future? What happened to looking 2-3 years down the road and building for the future? You draft a player for NOW and he better play NOW, not in 2-3 years when the team decides they want a more siilled faster team.

You're still not explaining how Gordie Clark was supposed to predict what issues the Rangers would have years down the road.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Wow. I like McIlrath, but over Tarasenko,Schwartz, Coyle, Etem, i dont. I thought you draft for the future but i guess not. I hope McIlrath turns out to be good, but RIGHT NOW we can use some scoring.

So can you show me the posts where you were advocating any of those players back in 2009 or even at the draft? No, you can't. You're evaluating the draft in hindsight, and then complaining about "drafting for the future" before the guy we picked has even had a chance to establish himself.

Zero substance. Zero.

Every year we have a thread like this where people go to HockeyDB, start running down the list of players taken after our selections, and then whinging about how our scouts dropped the ball because someone better was taken after we picked. It's total garbage. If the draft was a science, it would be 2 rounds long because every player worth a damn would be gone in the first 60 picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad