Rumor: Gordie Clark Moving Towards Retirement?

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
There were a few guys the Rangers were pretty high on that year --- with varying results.

Stewart, Foligno, Sanguinetti, Giroux, Berglund and Summers were all guys I remember there being increased chatter around.

Oh wow, forgot about him!! There was a really funny Hartford video he did when he was with the organization. I'll have to find it...

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
There were a few guys the Rangers were pretty high on that year --- with varying results.

Stewart, Foligno, Sanguinetti, Giroux, Berglund and Summers were all guys I remember there being increased chatter around.

what a bust he turned out to be.
Foligno was one of the players I wanted .

vladmyir111

Mar 27, 2007
Lot of whataboutisms here. NYR drafting has been shit. Outside of Lundqvist and.......well honestly I can't think of a second legit star NY has drafted in the 25 years I've been watching. Every top level player we've had has been a UFA or college signing or trade. Almost every single team in the league during that time has drafted an absolute stud or 4.

Kaapo Hollweg

Jun 21, 2019
Lot of whataboutisms here. NYR drafting has been shit. Outside of Lundqvist and.......well honestly I can't think of a second legit star NY has drafted in the 25 years I've been watching. Every top level player we've had has been a UFA or college signing or trade. Almost every single team in the league during that time has drafted an absolute stud or 4.
OK

Rangerboy030

Apr 21, 2012
I think if we swap out those guys from our picks we're probably still top five.

Laf and Kakko plus Zegras is a bit different because that would've apparently cost us Buch to get Edmonton's pick.

That one is a bit more complicated. I think Buch would've exploded in Edmonton (and had extra padding on top of what we've seen, especially this year). How would that have impacted expectation for Zegras? Would people have been upset we didn't get the pick and then some? What impact would it have had on Kakko and Kravtsov?

Those are all fair questions and ones I don't necessarily have answers to.

Not to mention that if we didn't have Buch, it's a decent bet that we don't make the play-in round - so take Laffy out as well.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
this is the truth. We've drafted some solid players, a lot of them actually, but no studs. Shesty might be one but again, goalie.

Look at the past 20 years, list out the best players we've had. How many were drafted by us?

Jagr
Nylander?
Gaborik
Stepan <- an important player for us but never a true top line center
Nash
McDonagh
Zucc
Richards
Brassard
St. Louis
Zibanejad
Panarin
DeAngelo
Fox
Kreider <- was he ever our best or top 5 player? Maybe once or twice
Buchnevich -< this year he was a top 5 player for us.

not pretty.

Luckily our trading has been really good overall.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Players who exceeded their draft day expectations: Stepan, Moore, Callahan, Anisimov, Dubinsky, Sauer (until his injury), Hagelin, Fast, Duclair, Buchnevich and some others.

But the Rangers didn't have a top 3 pick for 45 f***ing years so let's complain we never drafted surefire stars :facepalm:

And no, focusing on the 1 or 2 exceptions each year isn't a valid argument. With that hindsight, I'm shocked you're not a billionaire through the stock exchange

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Does your analysis take into account where the team has been drafting or how many times they have traded away their first round pick?

Reactions: haveandare

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
this is the truth. We've drafted some solid players, a lot of them actually, but no studs. Shesty might be one but again, goalie.

Look at the past 20 years, list out the best players we've had. How many were drafted by us?

Jagr
Nylander?
Gaborik
Stepan <- an important player for us but never a true top line center
Nash
McDonagh
Zucc
Richards
Brassard
St. Louis
Zibanejad
Panarin
DeAngelo
Fox
Kreider <- was he ever our best or top 5 player? Maybe once or twice
Buchnevich -< this year he was a top 5 player for us.

not pretty.

Luckily our trading has been really good overall.
Trading is often a byproduct of good scouting.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Trading is often a byproduct of good scouting.

As is winning, which we did a lot of from 2005-2017.

I've said every point I've had to make on the whole "drafting stars" argument. Nothing new to add there.

Ultimately at the end of the day I care about winning. I'd rather have Laf and Kakko scoring 70-80 points on a balanced team that can send wave after wave against teams, rather than have them score 90-100 points and have a weaker team.

For the first time in a very, very long time, we have a chance to combine elite, top-end talent with valuable support talent. We've had the highest picks in modern franchise history and we've a string of multi-pick drafts.

For better or worse, the measure for 2017-2020 will be different than any other span in team history.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
As is winning, which we did a lot of from 2005-2017.

I've said every point I've had to make on the whole "drafting stars" argument. Nothing new to add there.

Ultimately at the end of the day I care about winning. I'd rather have Laf and Kakko scoring 70-80 points on a balanced team that can send wave after wave against teams, rather than have them score 90-100 points and have a weaker team.

For the first time in a very, very long time, we have a chance to combine elite, top-end talent with valuable support talent. We've had the highest picks in modern franchise history and we've a string of multi-pick drafts.

For better or worse, the measure for 2017-2020 will be different than any other span in team history.

If Igor does half or one quarter of what Lundqvist did but has one playoff where he plays his best hockey (I'm talking like 1986 or 1993 Patrick Roy level), we all sign up for that 11/10 times.

Reactions: Edge

ncmike

Aug 5, 2011
I'm sure they interviewed a lot of players and he may have been on their radar. I've seen nothing that ever said he was the pick if Sanguinetti was not available.
I read that Bobby Clark really wanted giroux so he was whispering to the right people to get the word out that he wanted Sanguinetti. Played head games with the Rangers to get them to skip on Giroux so the flyers could get him.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I read that Bobby Clark really wanted giroux so he was whispering to the right people to get the word out that he wanted Sanguinetti. Played head games with the Rangers to get them to skip on Giroux so the flyers could get him.
I know for a fact that is not true. Sanguinetti was #12 on the Flyers board and they tried to trade up to get him.

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
Players who exceeded their draft day expectations: Stepan, Moore, Callahan, Anisimov, Dubinsky, Sauer (until his injury), Hagelin, Fast, Duclair, Buchnevich and some others.

Good list but a bit misleading. To say some of them “exceeded their draft day expectations” is not accurate.

Several were 2nd round picks and had solid careers, made plenty of money with multiple contracts. Several matched expectations.

Callahan exceeded. Hagelin exceeded.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Good list but a bit misleading. To say some of them “exceeded their draft day expectations” is not accurate.

Several were 2nd round picks and had solid careers, made plenty of money with multiple contracts. Several matched expectations.

@Edge has been over the percentages per round already. 2nd rounders aren't a guarantee to make the NHL even and we drafted a couple guys playing 400+ games.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

Make a redraft list and compare to the original spot.

jaywills1020

Mar 14, 2004
I think fans tend to focus other team's steals (Point in the 3rd round, Marchand in the 3rd round) and our own team's blunders (McIlrath, Lias etc.) rather than the other way around.
This is exactly my thinking too. Except they screwed up with Lias. He was drafted for his character and you don’t draft a character player in the top 10. He never had the numbers to justify being a top 10 pick and if you want a character guy then do it through free agency.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
This is exactly my thinking too. Except they screwed up with Lias. He was drafted for his character and you don’t draft a character player in the top 10. He never had the numbers to justify being a top 10 pick and if you want a character guy then do it through free agency.

You should look at his numbers pre-draft.

P/GP in SHL in draft year
Holtz: 0.46
Andersson: 0.45
Raymond: 0.30

P/GP in SuperElit min 25 GP (u18)
Kopitar: 1.63
Andersson: 1.59
W. Nylander: 1.59

There were concerns, but production pre-draft wasn't one of them. Lias set the record for points by an u18 player with 59 back in 2016 despite missing a bunch of games because he spent weeks in the SHL as well (playing 22 games)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad