Rumor: Gordie Clark Moving Towards Retirement?

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Won't lie, I like Gordie. Think that he and his scouting staff has hit on a lot of the prospects that have come through this organization, especially while not having a 1st round pick in 4 of the 10 years in the 2010's. This move, to what seemingly is a senior advisor position, keeps him on still while moving on from the position for someone with a younger eye. Think of it like Sather is doing now, but with their scouting department.

I like the move, TBH. Wondering who gets the position, though. Feel like Bobrov or Morehouse might have the upper hand, ATM, while speculating of course...

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Not super surprising - he is getting to the age when people transition to more "Senior Advisor" type roles.

He's had some high profile misses, but overall think Clark has done a good job here. Grass is always greener when evaluating drafts in hindsight.

His replacement is one of the most, if not the most, consequential decisions Drury will have to make.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Hopefully Bobrov takes over but not surprising. More cleaning house is going to happen as Drury settles in

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Bobrov has been the Director of Euro Scouting since 2015. Which picks would have fallen under his territory?

Kovacs
Saarela
Bernhardt
Huska
Reunanen
Andersson
Chytil
Sjalin
Lakatos
Virta
Kravtsov
Lundkvist
Lindbom
Ragnarsson
Pajuniemi
Kjellberg
Edstrom
Aaltonen
Kakko
Henriksson
Tarnstrom
Ollas

IDK, some potentially big-time hits on that list with Kravtsov, Lundkvist, and Chytil, and then a whole bunch of "meh." The jury is obviously still out on some of those guys, but there is a fairly good chance that outside of those three guys taken in the first, the only other NHL regulars on that list could be Andersson and Kakko (who wasn't a "Bobrov pick" at all). Much like Clarke himself, I'm pretty lukewarm on Bobrov. I would guess Drury finds someone new.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Bobrov has been the Director of Euro Scouting since 2015. Which picks would have fallen under his territory?

Kovacs
Saarela
Bernhardt
Huska
Reunanen
Andersson
Chytil
Sjalin
Lakatos
Virta
Kravtsov
Lundkvist
Lindbom
Ragnarsson
Pajuniemi
Kjellberg
Edstrom
Aaltonen
Kakko
Henriksson
Tarnstrom
Ollas

IDK, some potentially big-time hits on that list with Kravtsov, Lundkvist, and Chytil, and then a whole bunch of "meh." The jury is obviously still out on some of those guys, but there is a fairly good chance that outside of those three guys taken in the first, the only other NHL regulars on that list could be Andersson and Kakko (who wasn't a "Bobrov pick" at all). Much like Clarke himself, I'm pretty lukewarm on Bobrov. I would guess Drury finds someone new.

Theres also players they targeted that they didnt have the opportunity to draft, which im sure would be part of his resume for drury's decision. Of what we know about, Pettersson was a big target for them, who knows who else they missed on/couldnt draft, for better or worse.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
re: Barbrov

Huska and Georgiev (ufa) are notable a good step above meh players.

Which kid is the sniper in the FHL? Is it Virta or Paguniemi?

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
The Thing about this that I find annoying is that JD's crew seemed to be good at drafting tough to play against. It was their specialty in CBJ and the Blues before that. It's a bummer if JD's team ends up leaving with him.

Reactions: Unpredictable1

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Won't lie, I like Gordie. Think that he and his scouting staff has hit on a lot of the prospects that have come through this organization, especially while not having a 1st round pick in 4 of the 10 years in the 2010's. This move, to what seemingly is a senior advisor position, keeps him on still while moving on from the position for someone with a younger eye. Think of it like Sather is doing now, but with their scouting department.

I like the move, TBH. Wondering who gets the position, though. Feel like Bobrov or Morehouse might have the upper hand, ATM, while speculating of course...
I like Gordie’s philosophy in drafting players. Almost all the players we draft I’m initially a big fan of, but I feel like he tries to be too smart at times and that bites us

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
The way the NHL draft sorts out, you can’t only look at draft in a specific round. I addition, there can be great movement between like D+5 and D+15.

Looking at Clarke’s record when it has played in 15 years or whatever, I am fairly certain that it will have been really good in relation to some kind of league average.

Reactions: Lion Hound

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008
Marc-Andre Cliche
Tom Pyatt
Artem Anisimov
Carl Hagelin
Derek Stepan
Dale Weise
Chris Kreider
Jesper Fast
J.T. Miller
Pavel Buchnevich
Anthony Duclair
Filip Chytil
Kappo Kakko

Marc Staal
Michael Del Zotto
Brady Skjei
Ryan Graves

Hopefully it's true. Good riddance

Reactions: ponzu4u

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
There were some big misses on GC's resume but so the f*** what. Every single scout in the history of scouting has more than one huge miss on their resume. It's not an exact science and when Sather was busy throwing away draft picks for a box of cigars and whisky, GC and his staff did a decent enough job getting any talent in here at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad