Confirmed with Link: Gord Dineen Named Head Coach Of Toronto Marlies

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
true, but IMO, i think there are better candidates out there than him. its nothing personal, but this is a position which is responsible for developing our youth. dineen doesn't have an impressive resume, and would have preferred someone with experience and someone who has success in developing youth. i.e. a chl coach (like spott hiring last year)

:laugh: but no one wanted Spott last year.
and again - if he was part of the program for five years... I doubt Shanahan would have been yeah - i know we're focusing on development - but here, you can try because what the hey.

AND Spott spoke very high of G.Dineen.

HeroNtF

Jul 9, 2012
For those wanting a up and coming coach just wait till next year when dineen and king are assisstants for spott, then there will be plenty of room for new ahl coaches

HockeyNightInBelfast

HockeyNightInBelfast
Mar 28, 2011
Belfast
www.facebook.com
For those wanting a up and coming coach just wait till next year when dineen and king are assisstants for spott, then there will be plenty of room for new ahl coaches

:laugh:

Like the idea of the internal promotion & that the duo have effectively "paid their dues" but I would;t call it an "inspiring" hire.

A safe one though & the stability+continuity will be good for the Marlies youngsters.

Very interested to see who the new assistant might be though.

DJ Smith may be a promising coaching prospect but he's still learning his trade just like Spott had to so prob best or him to remain as a head coach w/ Generals for now.

UllmansTiger

May 27, 2012
Very happy for him. I've chatted with a few Marlies over past couple years and they all raved about him.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
esq-lyle-lovett-0212.jpg

1297583801539_ORIGINAL.jpg

:yo:

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
Love these moves. Promoting Spott, promoting the assistants. The leafs could use this stability.

This is the biggest change this summer with the organization - stability. No rash moves, no quick fixes, showing if you do your time and perform you will be rewarded with an internal promotion. This will now start to trickle down to the players, giving young guys a chance to show what they can do once they earn it.

It may not seem like much, but I think it's a huge change. Eventually Shanny will replace Nonis and Carlyle, but not until he has people to replace them that can be here for a decade. I like it, and it shows top talent that if come to the organization in a lesser role, they can work and develop into more prominent roles - see: Detroit Red Wings (Holland was developed internally, their coaches were taken care of until provided opportunities elsewhere, etc)

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
This is the biggest change this summer with the organization - stability. No rash moves, no quick fixes, showing if you do your time and perform you will be rewarded with an internal promotion. This will now start to trickle down to the players, giving young guys a chance to show what they can do once they earn it.

It may not seem like much, but I think it's a huge change. Eventually Shanny will replace Nonis and Carlyle, but not until he has people to replace them that can be here for a decade. I like it, and it shows top talent that if come to the organization in a lesser role, they can work and develop into more prominent roles - see: Detroit Red Wings (Holland was developed internally, their coaches were taken care of until provided opportunities elsewhere, etc)

This will only work if the leafs roster reflects these changes. If carlyle limits all of the youngster to the fourth line/reserve then nothing has changed. For example:

JVR Bozak Kessel
Lupul Kadri Clarkson
Komarov Kontiola Santorelli
Bodie Smith Orr

Phaneuf Robidas
Gardiner Polak
Rielly Franson

Bernier
Reimer

Zero spots available for youngsters.

Tyler Biggs*

Can't argue that record and success on the farm team! Lots of prospects coming to age and experience right now. The future is looking friendly.

Tyler Biggs*

Both are qualified coaches that have tenure at the AHL level while working under both Eakins and Spott. Plus they are ex NHLer's who's history are not too shabby in the big leaguess. I would say this is a critical year for some of the Marlies who will either spend some time in the AHL and for the Leafs ...coaching will be very important for those players.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Both are qualified coaches that have tenure at the AHL level while working under both Eakins and Spott. Plus they are ex NHLer's who's history are not too shabby in the big leaguess. I would say this is a critical year for some of the Marlies who will either spend some time in the AHL and for the Leafs ...coaching will be very important for those players.

I think this will be the norm, with Shanahan he promotes from within and having continuity at both levels, with the Leafs and Marlies.

MuchoMacho

Jul 19, 2009
Penalty Box
This will only work if the leafs roster reflects these changes. If carlyle limits all of the youngster to the fourth line/reserve then nothing has changed. For example:

JVR Bozak Kessel
Lupul Kadri Clarkson
Komarov Kontiola Santorelli
Bodie Smith Orr

Phaneuf Robidas
Gardiner Polak
Rielly Franson

Bernier
Reimer

Zero spots available for youngsters.

This is the most realistic line up I have seen posted on these boards over this off season. The only thing I'd change is Holland for Smith, seeing how Holland signed a 2 year, one way contract and Smith is still a UFA.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
I would have preferred an outside hire, an up and comer from elsewhere....

why?shanny is loyal and rewards hard honest work.u can bet the players are also working hard this off season ,i love his moves ,accountability is always the key at higher management in a any bussiness ,i predict KESSEL will be the most fit hes been in his career this coming training camp ,,,,,peer pressure and accountability ....i love how shanny is progressing ,,,,,no hot air just very business like ,

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Had to hire one of those guys or fired them - can't keep passing them over - if it's a complete mess then move in a different direction next season. Never know maybe a retired Leaf like Tie Domi or development coach Steve Staois will job on board as an assistant with this type of an opportunity.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
i just personally think - we should give Dineen a chance before wishing we got other people. I trust Shanahan to put his program into place. Again - Dineen has been in the organization for five years, so I'm pretty sure he's had his hand with a lot of the developlement of the rookies we have so far.

because spott moved up, and the other guy is still around maybe this DJ Smith dude will be aproached to be an assistant - i doubt he's running with 1 AC.

The Gens showed they were invested in Smith, by promoting him to Asst GM.

EastVan

Jun 25, 2014
why?shanny is loyal and rewards hard honest work.u can bet the players are also working hard this off season ,i love his moves ,accountability is always the key at higher management in a any bussiness ,i predict KESSEL will be the most fit hes been in his career this coming training camp ,,,,,peer pressure and accountability ....i love how shanny is progressing ,,,,,no hot air just very business like ,

I posted in the leadership thread that Kessel needs to start training like MSL: http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl&...sch&ei=cWXLU6-REqeAiwKskYHADw&ved=0CAgQsCUoAg

Yes, I do like the idea of accountability. With the Dineen hire, at least maybe he'll stick around for several seasons if things go his way. It has been a bit of a revolving door the past couple years with Eakins leaving and now Spott.

GalacticaActual

Mar 23, 2010
Mississauga, Ontario
I'm not impressed by the hiring either. We are the Toronto ****ing Maple Leafs. Every coach (head coach, assistant coach, skating coach, conditioning coach) should be someone with a big name, pedigree, and a track record.

Conditioning coach should be Gary Roberts

Marlies coach should be Kevin Dineen, not Gord Dineen. You know, someone who actually did someone at the NHL level.

Carlyle's assistants should have been guys like Tony Granato or Kirk Muller.

Really sad that this organization doesn't flex its financial muscles and use its one actual advantage to hire the best and brightest minds in the league: unlimited cash.

No rookie should ever work for the Leafs (or any of its subsidiaries) at a coaching or managerial capacity, under any circumstances.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad