Confirmed with Link: Gord Dineen Named Head Coach Of Toronto Marlies

TheThrill81*

Solid move. He's got a good track record the past 5 seasons as the assistant coach, let's see what he can do now as head coach. :handclap:

EastVan

Jun 25, 2014
I would have preferred an outside hire, an up and comer from elsewhere....

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I would have preferred an outside hire, an up and comer from elsewhere....

why? Shanahan said he wants to promote within. Dineen's been part of the team that has been 3x division champs, 2 finals in 3 years... give him a chance.

EastVan

Jun 25, 2014
why? Shanahan said he wants to promote within. Dineen's been part of the team that has been 3x division champs, 2 finals in 3 years... give him a chance.

They could have brought in someone with a gift for developing players AND kept Dineen on board.

DoubleDouble*

They could have brought in someone with a gift for developing players AND kept Dineen on board.

What you want is a sexy hire that will make everyone go "oooooh".

Meanwhile, anyone who knows what they are talking about loves this hire because it's a great internal solution, and the guy has done nothing but be a part of exceptional teams.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Derek King was also named Associate Coach.

Good promotions. They've been in the system for awhile and had a pretty positive impact overall.

mikebel111*

Congrats to Gord. done well as an assistant coach for the Marlies. Nice to see King promoted to associate coach as well. Wonder who the assistants will be?

EastVan

Jun 25, 2014
I admit that I am not super familiar with the situation.

Just feel this position should be able to attract proven, high profile coaches.

We need all the help we can get creating a pipeline to the big team.

Our valuable assets such as Nylander will need someone with the right touch.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
i just personally think - we should give Dineen a chance before wishing we got other people. I trust Shanahan to put his program into place. Again - Dineen has been in the organization for five years, so I'm pretty sure he's had his hand with a lot of the developlement of the rookies we have so far.

because spott moved up, and the other guy is still around maybe this DJ Smith dude will be aproached to be an assistant - i doubt he's running with 1 AC.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
why not? He has been with the Marlies for a while and deserves his chance

true, but IMO, i think there are better candidates out there than him. its nothing personal, but this is a position which is responsible for developing our youth. dineen doesn't have an impressive resume, and would have preferred someone with experience and someone who has success in developing youth. i.e. a chl coach (like spott hiring last year)

7Vczt5Q.jpg

:p:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad