OT: Gooooooal!! The Association Football Thread #124 - USMNT, PL, MLS, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
BWP: The Ultimate Scoring Machine. But the greatest thing tonight was Kaka playfully slapping Collin on the back of the head and clearly joking with a friend. We then had a 10 minute VAR delay after which he was sent off for violent conduct. I've been following MLS literally since the day it started and this may have been the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. Also Sean Davis probably won goal of the week, and if he doesn't I would love to see the goal that tops it.

VAR took five minutes.... the ref extended stoppage time by 30 seconds. The red card was BS. Collin and Kaka are friends.

I'm glad we won. That was a hell of a game and a great crowd... but wow the officiating in this league is embarrassing.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Also I didn't mention this but the decision to do all the pyro in the pregame was incredibly dumb. We were doing the most important and meaningful tifo we've ever done and unless you were right near the South Ward you couldn't see a thing as there was just a giant cloud of smoke. I was especially pissed because I went to the opposite end of the building specifically to get the best picture of it possible and ended up not even being able to see it. At the least they should've coordinated it so that the pyro was after the tifo had been clearly displayed for all to see.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Also I didn't mention this but the decision to do all the pyro in the pregame was incredibly dumb. We were doing the most important and meaningful tifo we've ever done and unless you were right near the South Ward you couldn't see a thing as there was just a giant cloud of smoke. I was especially pissed because I went to the opposite end of the building specifically to get the best picture of it possible and ended up not even being able to see it. At the least they should've coordinated it so that the pyro was after the tifo had been clearly displayed for all to see.

The smoke from smoke bombs, flares, and pyro usually doesnt linger like that... I think the humidity caused that.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
That was a rollercoaster of emotions last night. I went from cursing the team for always blowing it in big games.... to absolute elation. I will be in Kansas City for the final.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I see games scheduled through late October though.

This is the US Open Cup final. The MLS season runs through the end of October. The playoffs are in November. The final is the first weekend of December.

The US Open Cup is a separate competition where all professional levels of soccer in the US enter a tournament. From the low USL teams to the NASL teams like the Cosmos and so on up to the MLS. This is the second time the Red Bulls have ever made it to the final and they are 0-1.

It would compare to the FA Cup in England. Several levels of professional soccer are involved.... theoretically a pub team could make it far enough and play Manchester United.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
This is the US Open Cup final. The MLS season runs through the end of October. The playoffs are in November. The final is the first weekend of December.

The US Open Cup is a separate competition where all professional levels of soccer in the US enter a tournament. From the low USL teams to the NASL teams like the Cosmos and so on up to the MLS. This is the second time the Red Bulls have ever made it to the final and they are 0-1.

It would compare to the FA Cup in England. Several levels of professional soccer are involved.... theoretically a pub team could make it far enough and play Manchester United.

Oh, sounds cool.
Has a lower level team ever won it?

Are the Cosmos kind of like the AHL?

NJDevils7

Feb 13, 2007
New York
Oh, sounds cool.
Has a lower level team ever won it?

Are the Cosmos kind of like the AHL?

1) Yes, the Rochester Rhinos beat Colorado Rapids in 1999. The Charleston Battery lost in the Final to D.C. United in 2008. Christos FC was a pretty cool story this year. They are essentially a pub/amateur team that barely even practices and they made it far enough to play DC United, and were actually winning 1-0 before losing.

2) Sort of, but without affiliation to an MLS team. More like ECHL or OHL I would say

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I never really paid much attention to the US Cup till I noticed my hometown won a couple of early-round qualifiers then forgot to check back how they were doing after the long winter layoff. Turned out they made it to the second round of the main draw, which was nice.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
My Red Bulls season tickets are going up by about $50 because I guess Leipzig needs the money (they sure as hell aren't going to spend it on us). At least they are introducing a 12 month payment plan which is nice for those of us on a budget.

Tonight in Portland we clearly don't care and after Tuesday I have no problem with this. BTW this is the game they moved from this Sunday and in the process screwed several of our traveling supporters who had already booked flights and hotels.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
My Red Bulls season tickets are going up by about $50 because I guess Leipzig needs the money (they sure as hell aren't going to spend it on us). At least they are introducing a 12 month payment plan which is nice for those of us on a budget.

Tonight in Portland we clearly don't care and after Tuesday I have no problem with this. BTW this is the game they moved from this Sunday and in the process s crewed several of our traveling supporters who had already booked flights and hotels.

Why was the game moved?

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Watching the boy ciddy-NE game and the field is an absolute embarrassment. It really is ridiculous that an alleged top flight league allows this, but the $100 million check for the MLS/Garber ponzi scheme cleared so here we are.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Guys, I'm just wondering where East Hartford is in NYC? I mean it has to be in the city, right. Boy city are playing a home game there because the Yankees have to make up a game and kicked them out. They are New York's team who represent New York more than anything you can think of. They don't play in JERSEY amirite? Wait, you mean to tell me East Hartford is in the middle of CONNECTICUT??? HaHaHaHaHa!!!!! Seeing their pretentious fans melt down is just beautiful, this is like Christmas come early.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
This has been an amazing week. First, they say they are looking at a stadium sight in Belmont like a half mile outside actual NYC city limits..... then the Yankees have a makeup game and kick NYCFC out of the stadium and they re-located to EAST HARTFORD CONNECTICUT and City fans actually need to PURCHASE TICKETS to the game because their season tickets aren't honored at that location!

I can tell you that the Viking Army capo will be on the stand wearing a Hartford Whalers jersey on Friday.

Man a win on Friday would make this even more amazing.

I'm sorry but they are a joke.

New slogan.... SUPPORT YOUR CT!

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
If I can find it I'll wear the John Cullen jersey I got for my 15th birthday in 1992. If not either the Ron Francis or Kevin Dineen knockoffs I got a few years back.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
is jackson street bridge open to peds after games?

i'm going tomorrow and want to park at seton hall law school like i do for devils games and just deal with the walk

Yeah, pedestrian bridge is always open.

Last time I was there there was construction on the Newark side near the river so some of the sidewalks were blocked off, but people were still walking along the construction fences.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad