OT: Gooooooal!! The Association Football Thread #124 - USMNT, PL, MLS, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
because Red Bull are only a New York team in name and Hartford City are horrible people from club to fans we all know jesus ****ing christ this discussion is tiresome

Anyway, speaking of Red Bull, Liverpool are getting Keita next year so yay.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Safe to assume you (and anyone who shares this sentiment) is not a Giants or Jets fan right?

It's not safe to assume though since its not the same.

Metrostars/Red Bulls home field has always been in NJ.

NFL teams migrated from NY.

With that said, yes, for me, I am not a fan of either Meadowlands NFL squad but as noted above its a little different than with the MLS team.

Red Bulls mgmt decided to capitalize on the NY name and play for New Yorkers and rep NY, not NJ.
Which is fine, but for me personally as a member of the NJ soccer community it does not sit well and I have chosen to not support them.

I don't speak for others not do I encourage others to follow my path. NJ soccer fans can come to their own conclusions.

Last edited:

NJDevils7

Feb 13, 2007
New York

With that said, yes, for me, I am not a fan of either Meadowlands NFL squad but as noted above its a little different than with the MLS team.

Red Bulls mgmt decided to capitalize on the NY name and play for New Yorkers and rep NY, not NJ.
Which is fine, but for me personally as a member of the NJ soccer community it does not sit well and I have chosen to not support them.

I don't speak for others not do I encourage others to follow my path. NJ soccer fans can come to their own conclusions.

Fair enough, you can make whatever decisions you want.

But to me, the fact that they "used to play in NY" is pretty irrelevant. Maybe its because I'm relatively young but that was over 40 years ago. And to say the RedBulls don't care about NJ couldn't be more wrong. They always have player signings, camps, advertising, events, ect in NJ. Their nickname is the "Metros".

Personally I'll never understand the "not rooting for the team because they are NY not NJ". It is still a local team that represents the NY Metro area. If they were called the NJ RedBulls they would be cutting off all of the NY fans that they have too? How are you supposed to deal with a team that represents the whole area when it is divided by state lines?

Maybe its just me, because I live in NY and root for the Devils, and also travel to NJ every day for work...its all the same area in my mind.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Fair enough at least you are consistent.

Although by that theory, you would have no problem rooting for NYRB if they played in NY (no NJ option). But u dont root dor them because they play in NJ? Lol

Correct, same logic; though I wouldn't if they were "New York's team", as the only soccer I dependably & reliably watch is USMNT (and USWNT too to a lesser extent).

That said, if the Red Bulls had started out as the NJ Red Bulls, will all the excitement they initially drew, etc... I can almost 100% guarantee I'd be a club soccer fan of theirs and casual fan who watches on TV and goes to a few games a year if they were "Jersey's team" like the Devils. I do casually enjoy soccer, I just dont feel like I have a team to follow. It's not like baseball in my family where I was basically "born" into fanhood.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ

This is where you lose me. While the Red Bulls are NY in name, they do a GREAT job with the youth soccer programs in New Jersey. They recently hired a ton of coaches and run camps and clinics all over the place. Most player signings are in NJ as well. Besides the name, they pay A LOT more attention to NJ as opposed to NY.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
This is where you lose me. While the Red Bulls are NY in name, they do a GREAT job with the youth soccer programs in New Jersey. They recently hired a ton of coaches and run camps and clinics all over the place. Most player signings are in NJ as well. Besides the name, they pay A LOT more attention to NJ as opposed to NY.

It's their home state so they should focus on NJ youth soccer. I'm glad they do.
But, why not go with Red Bull NJ or Red Bull Metro FC?

They want NY $ and its their choice but they won't get mine.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
They could have easily called them the NY/NJ Red Bulls.

Yep, be the area team and make people from both states feel a part of it.
Those we rep NY tv commercials were a turnoff.

How about Red Bulls Metro FC?

It's all about NY advertising $ though so very slim chances it ever changes.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Yep, be the area team and make people from both states feel a part of it.
Those we rep NY tv commercials were a turnoff.

How about Red Bulls Metro FC?

It's all about NY advertising $ though so very slim chances it ever changes.

I'm not saying I completely disagree with you. I just won't let that be a reason I don't support the team. North Jersey is part of the NY Metro Area. It just happens to cross as state line. Isn't RBA like 7 miles or something from the World Trade Center?

The state line is what causes the problem. There are several teams that aren't located in the city they "represent."

Real Salt Lake plays in Sandy, Utah
FC Dallas plays in Frisco, Texas
LA Galaxy plays in Carson, California
Philadelphia Union play in Chester, Pennsylvania
Sporting KC doesn't play in Kansas City, MO. They play across state lines in the actual state of Kansas.
Chicago Fire plays in Bridgeview, Il

Most of these place are actually a 20-30 minute drive outside the city they claim to represent. RBA is closer to NYC than than most of the stadiums that are located outisde the city as I mentioned above.

NYCFC is looking at Belmont as a stadium site.... if they go there, they won't actually be in the city limits of New York City. RB would be much closer to Manhattan than NYCFC at that point.

The NEW YORK in RBNY represents the New York Metro Area. Sure I would rather the team be called FC Metro or Metro FC and just be sponsored by Red Bull and rebranded red and black like the Devils but It's not going to happen.

Anyone that says the Jets and Giants are a different story are sadly mistaken. These teams take NJ taxpayer money from the construction of both stadiums and both practice facilities yet still call themselves NY. It's the same exact thing. If you feel one way about one team then it should apply to all 3.

NYCFC fans are too quick to talk trash about the location. If getting a stadium in NYC was possible, they wouldn't exist. The Red Bulls would already be there along with the Jets and probably the Giants too.

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
the jets have officially spent more of their history in new jersey than new york.

where are the pitchforks and torches?

anyway all this fabricated nonsense we argue over concerning major league soccer is exactly why i take the premiership more seriously, and no, it's not being a eurosnob when you support the usmnt.

as much as i ****ing despise them i agree that manchester united shouldn't go changing their name to trafford united. oh, and chelsea play in fulham. where's the outrage there?

Last edited:

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
The NEW YORK in RBNY represents the New York Metro Area. Sure I would rather the team be called FC Metro or Metro FC and just be sponsored by Red Bull and rebranded red and black like the Devils but It's not going to happen.

Imagine Celtic's crest, but in a red/black motif with single gold star in front of a skyline or bridge (so like kinda Mets-esque).

"The Metro Soccer Club 1996," as the fans call them "Metro '96" for short.

Anyway, the mere fact that Red Bull acknowledges "Metro" as an acceptable nickname for the organization is a miracle. Let's not get carried away.

Anyone that says the Jets and Giants are a different story are sadly mistaken. These teams take NJ taxpayer money from the construction of both stadiums and both practice facilities yet still call themselves NY. It's the same exact thing. If you feel one way about one team then it should apply to all 3.

+100,000,000,000

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
It's all about NY advertising $

100%.

Early on the decision was made that they'd make more money if they called themselves NY rather than NJ, even though it's a brand new franchise, and playing in NJ.

To what extent the above is true, I am not certain. But if people like me and DD are indeed such a minority in "caring" about this issue, than the financial loss should be minimal. If we're not a minority, well.......

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
the jets have officially spent more of their history in new jersey than new york.

where are the pitchforks and torches?

If tomorrow the Jets, realizing the truth in your above comment, made the move to become the NJ Jets, do you think the number of NY-based fans who would either reject them or switch to Giants fans is minimal?

For consistency sake, I'd have to believe most posters here would say very few Jets fans would reject the team, correct?

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Yes, and I would agree.

So if spending the first 20-something years of your existence in the Polo Grounds and Shea Stadium gets you a license to call yourselves "New York" forever, then I really want to know what 19 seasons of being the only representative of top flight professional soccer in the Tri-State area and attracting fans from New York City gets you.

njdev26 brings up a very good point:

If there was an opportunity to build a 25,000-seat soccer venue within the city limits of New York a decade ago, Red Bull would have been there yesterday. Hartford City are currently figuring this out the hard way and it's hysterical.

You're counting the Metrostars? I'm counting the sale and rebranding as a "new" start. Like the Devils rebranded anew post-Colorado.

Yes, I am. Because the Red Bulls publicly acknowledge the MetroStars portion of their history. (See: "Established 1996" inside the jersey collars; "20 Seasons" banners; allowing the South Ward to fly a "Metro" banner with a gold star after goals; and giving out half-red/white, half red/black scarves with both the RB and Metro crests.)

The team never moved 2,000 miles across a continent. Comparing it to Rockies/Devils is a joke.

Last edited:

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Anyone else going to the USA game on Friday? I've never seen the National team in person before so I'm excited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad