OT: Gooooooal!! The Association Football Thread #124 - USMNT, PL, MLS, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I half want to see Croatia win ANOTHER shootout, just to see if someone can actually win four straight do-or-die shootouts in a row to win the World Cup.

Reactions: BenedictGomez

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I half want to see Croatia win ANOTHER shootout, just to see if someone can actually win four straight do-or-die shootouts in a row to win the World Cup.

Croatia hasnt used a single sub, that could be big in extra time.

Croatia deserves this anyway, they've been playing to win, whereas England is playing not to lose.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Trying to watch some of the soccer this world cup. Was this considered a good game or a bad game?

Also are goalies pulled in soccer? Why didn't England?

njdevils19

Jan 11, 2007
Northern NJ
Trying to watch some of the soccer this world cup. Was this considered a good game or a bad game?

This was a pretty entertaining game from start to finish. As is the case with hockey, the game is a lot more exciting and nerve-racking when he really know how important build-up play is. People that don't watch hockey don't know to get nervous following a great break-out pass or to get anxious when a dump-in is going to mean trouble for the defense.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
This was a pretty entertaining game from start to finish. As is the case with hockey, the game is a lot more exciting and nerve-racking when he really know how important build-up play is. People that don't watch hockey don't know to get nervous following a great break-out pass or to get anxious when a dump-in is going to mean trouble for the defense.

true. Or an ill advised pinch and the start of a 2 on 1, or somebody lurking out of the box about to be sprung

Man I miss hockey

njdevils19

Jan 11, 2007
Northern NJ
true. Or an ill advised pinch and the start of a 2 on 1, or somebody lurking out of the box about to be sprung

Man I miss hockey

Pinch is a perfect example. Watching and knowing when a defender should pinch adds drama to the game that the casual hockey fan isn't experiencing.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Not per se but generally in the last minute or two goalies will come up for free kicks and corners. You can't really sub in a forward for a goalie though, on the fly subs aren't allowed and I don't think you can really use a sub to take out a goalie without putting the backup in, especially if there's a chance you get to a shootout.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Croatia hasnt used a single sub, that could be big in extra time.

Croatia deserves this anyway, they've been playing to win, whereas England is playing not to lose.
As it turns out England used all their subs and were stuck, via injury, playing with 10 guys for the final few minutes.

Oddly, that thought did float through mind as the game was in the 2nd half. Do you conserve a sub in case of injury?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
And while I couldn't help but root for Croatia in this game, especially with them being down a goal early, France vs England would have been fun.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
As it turns out England used all their subs and were stuck, via injury, playing with 10 guys for the final few minutes.

Oddly, that thought did float through mind as the game was in the 2nd half. Do you conserve a sub in case of injury?

in croatia's case they can confidently save their subs…when you have kovacic waiting on the sideline ..its a good thing

i cant wait for the match!

please win it for my recently passed father. i learned to play from him….and to play hard too

this is very emotional for me and my whole family seeing the team get this far …..and looking very good on the way……not happy about using the penalty shots to move past denmark and russia…. but, here we are.

ready to take the cup…

b5i9lxH.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: devilsblood

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Every World Cup and Euro tournament people say "could you imagine how good Yugoslavia would be if they stayed together?!" Hopefully this ends that stupid discussion.

Reactions: New Jersey

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ

It's a tactic not commonly used in soccer, but it should be in the last minute of stoppage time. Mexico used to have a goalie named Campos who I saw a few times go on attack in the last minute or so if they were losing an elimination game, but he actually did have some (minor) offensive skill. But even if the goalie has zero offensive skill, he could still be used to mark off a defender in the box to theoretically create space/opportunity for one of your star forwards. I have no idea why virtually no soccer teams do this in elimination games.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
It's a tactic not commonly used in soccer, but it should be in the last minute of stoppage time. Mexico used to have a goalie named Campos who I saw a few times go on attack in the last minute or so if they were losing an elimination game, but he actually did have some (minor) offensive skill. But even if the goalie has zero offensive skill, he could still be used to mark off a defender in the box to theoretically create space/opportunity for one of your star forwards. I have no idea why virtually no soccer teams do this in elimination games.

Yea. Seemed kind of strange. I was also wondering though if you can have a skilled player run onto the field to join play in the offensive zone and the goalie run off but I guess you can only make lineup changes during stoppages like football and basketball.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Every World Cup and Euro tournament people say "could you imagine how good Yugoslavia would be if they stayed together?!" Hopefully this ends that stupid discussion.

the development of players would likely different if yugoslavia still existed…..a lot has to do with how you run the country's soccer program…..look and canada, 35 millon people and hasnt qualified since '86…..croatia has just over 4 million people, theyre doing something right with what little they have

…anyone saying they would be better only thinks in the sense of tossing "the best" players together to create an all star team and going on the assumption it would be world beaters….it doesnt work that way….just look at the rags for years bring in "stars" and still amounting to jack f***ing shit

although i will admit i would have loved to see prime ibrahimovic play for croatia instead of sweden

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad