OT: Gooooooal!! The Association Football Thread #124 - USMNT, PL, MLS, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
canada, 35 millon people and hasnt qualified since '86…..croatia has just over 4 million people, theyre doing something right with what little they have

Yeah, but in Croatia 90% of boys might play soccer growing up, and in Canada maybe only 8% play soccer growing up.

View it that way, and whatever the true numbers are it wouldn't shock me if more youth in Croatia play soccer than in Canada.

Reactions: New Jersey

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Yeah, but in Croatia 90% of boys might play soccer growing up, and in Canada maybe only 8% play soccer growing up.

View it that way, and whatever the true numbers are it wouldn't shock me if more youth in Croatia play soccer than in Canada.
That, and the soccer infrastructure in Croatia is probably better to an unquantifiable degree.

Reactions: New Jersey

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto

That, and the soccer infrastructure in Croatia is probably better to an unquantifiable degree.

oh no doubt about that..…i guess using serbia (with 8.7 million people) wouldve a better comparison as ill bet there are just as many boys percentage wise playing soccer there but numbers dont mean much if you dont have the right system to exploit what you have.

(im not trying to dump on serbia by any means just trying to make the point that croatia has done extremely well for themselves)

look no further than the US and what hosting the 94 cup did for the country's soccer program. fifa granted them the tournament in part due to the US establishing a division 1 professional league which in turn gives them way to keep their player development on home soil

its unfortunate they didnt qualify this time as they've come along way since

Last edited:

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Croatia can avenge the defeat to the Zidane led French team in the 1998 WC semifinal with a win on Sunday. I almost forget how loaded that team was. Prosinecki (arguably the most talented Croat player ever despite being out of shape and a chain smoker), Suker, Boban, Asanovic etc.

Last edited:

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Croatia can avenge the defeat to the Zidane led French team in the 1998 WC semifinal with a win on Sunday. I almost forget how loaded that team was. Prosinecki (arguably the most talented Croat player ever despite being out of shape and a chain smoker), Suker, Boban, Asanovic etc.

my dad met suker a bunch of years ago, he got a few postcard sized pictures from him…..i still have one

16Mf2xH.jpg

but ya...that was a great run and an exiting time...simic and jarni have to be mentioned these guys deserve mentioning instead of just "etc"

loved that sqaud…..love the current one too

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Croatia can avenge the defeat to the Zidane led French team in the 1998 WC semifinal with a win on Sunday.

I've hated French soccer ever since the 2010 World Cup (technically right before), so I'm rooting for Croatia for sure.

That said, I'm going to say France wins 2-1.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
my dad met suker a bunch of years ago, he got a few postcard sized pictures from him…..i still have one

16Mf2xH.jpg

but ya...that was a great run and an exiting time...simic and jarni have to be mentioned these guys deserve mentioning instead of just "etc"

loved that sqaud…..love the current one too

Amazing accomplishment and with Alen Boksic injured.

Reactions: njdevils1982

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
My grandpa came here from letaj croatia in 1926, and I brought my family there in 2008 during the eurocup... I'll never forget the fireworks and screams and motorcycles revving when they scored late against the Turks.. and the silence when the Turks came back to tie..

I'm totally on board with the vatreni.

Reactions: njdevils1982

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Audi Field opened yesterday and a railing fell off and injured the scum sideline reporter, so the place is already falling apart. Even better was that the wifi/phone reception was awful, which is problematic when everything is a digital ticket. I mean, why print actual commemorative paper tickets???

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
If there's a sport where the better team loses more often, other than soccer, I am not aware of that sport.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
I'm curious if they ever considered making the field smaller and playing 7 on 7 or 8 on 8. It probably be more exciting with more scoring chances

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
You have to feel for soccer goalies the net is so damn big and you're pretty much helpless it seems

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Soccer is a JOKE on NYCFC's pitch. Just last week when I was at Yankee Stadium for the RB game, players were slipping and falling on the patchwork over the infield all game. Every time both teams attempted to play balls out wide, it was out of bounds because of the width of the field.

deadass. :laugh:

oh btw i was at the game on saturday, too. in the south ward, amazing result. rzatkowski has the potential to be quite an exciting player for rb.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
deadass. :laugh:

oh btw i was at the game on saturday, too. in the south ward, amazing result. rzatkowski has the potential to be quite an exciting player for rb.

Yeah his impact was outstanding... both goals were awesome.

I hope Armas realizes that Lade and Muyl cannot be starters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad