Leonardlizard

Dec 3, 2021
He did hit the ice kinda cheek-first.

View attachment 847066
Adobe_Express_20240406_1109590_1.png

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Yeah Ekholm stated in his post game presser that he held up, stopped skating prior to the hit, and could have hit him harder than he did.
Clean hit. Rantanen hit his head on the ice and it bounced like a basketball. From what I’ve seen on multiple replays Rantanen didn’t see the hit coming, and didn’t brace himself and fell awkwardly.
I don’t wish injury on anyone but man that was an amazing display of newtons laws of motion in action.
Yeah I agree completely.
The pic posted by @syz clealry shows the impact on the ice. As you said though it was a clean hit and I was really glad that Ekholm didnt allow himself to be taken out of the game for 5 minutes.

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta

yeah but kaner's not well liked in the room and is a toxic cancer because anna kane says so!

I think also shows that Kane's reaction to goals are probably more competitive, a degree of "yeah about time" so to speak, and not really indicative about anything.

Watched a podcast with JJ Redick and in his view pro athletes are some of the most anxious people in the world because they put SO much pressure on themselves, and wouldn't be surprised if Kane was feeling some of that frustration and it was nice to get a load off.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think also shows that Kane's reaction to goals are probably more competitive, a degree of "yeah about time" so to speak, and not really indicative about anything.

Watched a podcast with JJ Redick and in his view pro athletes are some of the most anxious people in the world because they put SO much pressure on themselves, and wouldn't be surprised if Kane was feeling some of that frustration and it was nice to get a load off.
Great to see him have some success. It was a long drought.
The ONLY issue I have with Kane is that when he gets frustrated he tends to speak out when he would be best served to say nothing.
I attribute that to his brand of competitiveness as well but it absolutely can (and has been) misinterpreted.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
He let in 2 goals on 5 shots and we didn’t even give up a scoring chance.

You could have put up a .913 tonight, that’s not a proud number in a game like tonight.

Good game oilers! Total domination
Yes, a guy off the street could have put up a .913 SV% against an NHL team. Not a hint of bias at all.

Amazing take.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG

JJ Reddick is beyond intense. Watched him on First Take a few times and he is definitely wound up. As long as he's not rude, I don't mind him. He once mentioned that he had to sleep on the couch because his wife was pissed off at him for his behaviour on TV.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Yeah I agree completely.
The pic posted by @syz clealry shows the impact on the ice. As you said though it was a clean hit and I was really glad that Ekholm didnt allow himself to be taken out of the game for 5 minutes.
Or get hurt for that matter. We have big picture goals, we don't need arguably our 3rd best player to get hurt because he made a legal hockey play.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Could you link that podcast up for me please?

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
Could you link that podcast up for me please?

If you're a basketball guy, I strongly recommend watching the Mind the Game podcast with JJ and LeBron. It can get pretty basketball heavy, but the part I linked above is some commentary about online discourses, and JJ goes into "pressure" and while I technically misspoke as he was just referring to NBA players, I do think that it's likely true of a ton of pro-athletes.

Just that many of them want to be the best, were actually used to being the best, and do put a ton of pressure on themselves which is why we can recognize when players are in slumps and why Connor Brown was able to put in a few goals in quick succession once he got one, as in his own word scoring that first was a huge monkey off his back.

If you don't want to watch the whole podcast, the channel does break down segments into smaller pieces and you can see some interesting discussions that aren't necessarily as basketball specific.

I think some of the other stuff in one Episode that LeBron talked about was that if you want to be the best, some of the things that you sacrifice are often your personal relationships. LeBron skipping on parties with friends because he wanted to work on his game, etc. Reminds me of McDavid taking his bye week and doing mountain running lol.

Anyhoo I could ramble, but enjoyed this and it took me to some other interviews JJ had on his personal channel with Ray Allen, Jamal Mashburn, and whatnot and okay okay I'll stop :D

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

BurnabyJoe7

Not an Avalanche fan
Apr 12, 2019
Nice to see the boys show up after playing f***ing awful earlier this week.

We dominated them that game but you know all the incel avs fans are blaming injuries and goaltending on the loss. Avs aren't even the team to beat this year as they're a shell of their 2022 team. Vegas and Dallas are going to be the tough outs in the West.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Just lots of threats fuelled by alcohol. Normally it’s just good natured ribbing that goes back and forth but this was nasty and mean spirited and as the game wore on and the Coors light went to their heads it got ugly. They were mad because we wouldn’t respond I think and their team was kicking the crap out of us but there were a couple scrums - maybe a scrap can’t recall - and the morons around us wanted to start something in the stands.
You can run in to those types of idiots anywhere but I would have tried to identify the seat/row numbers and then contacted the club when I got home.

I did that one year with the Eskies at Commonwealth Stadium and the club contacted the seat owners--never saw those idiots again. Ultimately, nobody wants anything to do with that type of behavior.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
You can run in to those types of idiots anywhere but I would have tried to identify the seat/row numbers and then contacted the club when I got home.

I did that one year with the Eskies at Commonwealth Stadium and the club contacted the seat owners--never saw those idiots again. Ultimately, nobody wants anything to do with that type of behavior.

You don’t understand. I have been almost every rink in the NHL to watch the Oilers and it’s never happened before. I’ve had a couple clowns post game outside the rink in Toronto, Washington and Tampa be mouthy but that’s to be expected when wearing the enemies jersey and I just ignore it.

And it wasn’t just one or two guys. It was on the concourse. In the food lineup. In the bathroom. On the walk into the rink.

In the seats it was all around us. I swear the fans in Denver have collective brain damage combined with a severely low alcohol tolerance.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Was at Alestorm last night and checked the highlights.

God damn, Ekholm f***ing erased Rantanen. That's the kind of bounce back I was hoping for after that abortion of a Dallas game.

When this team is firing, they're tough to beat, but the West is gonna be an absolute bloodbath this year.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Exactly.
There are enough idiots at some Oilers games too...it shouldnt reflect on the fanbase as a whole.

Reactions: MoontoScott

Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Apr 22, 2023
Really solid hit by Ekholm but such an unusual hit in that Rantenen ended up with what looks very much like a concussion.
I couldnt see how his head was impacted from that collision. Ekholm didnt hit head and Rantenen didnt appear to hit his head on the ice or boards. At least not from what I could see,
Maybe it was just the sheer heaviness of the hit that caused the damage. :dunno:

His head hit the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad