Post-Game Talk: Google predicts the future

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Georgiev isn't a great goaltender. This game wasn't a one off for him. He's one of the reasons the Avalanche might struggle in the playoffs this year.

If people watched other contenders play more often I think they'd be shocked at how good we have it with Skinner.
I will acknowledge Georgiev and Thompson were making convincing arguments of that. Both were horrible. But to a degree you even wonder what they're thinking about. Look at the 4-2 goal late in period. Its a shot from McLeod, few secs left. It might even be going wide, Its going glove hand, all he has to do is catch it and maybe throw puck in corner to end period. Instead he fumbles it, instead of catching it knocks it to Kane and it bounces in. 1 sec left. Georgiev created that goal.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
People will hate on you for hating on Draisaitl but I saw him play a poor game as well. He needs to start locking it in like we know he can
What was poor about his game? Yes, he missed two wide open looks on the PP. Something is clearly wrong with his shot this year and it's frustrating. Maybe the slash in last year's playoffs has something to do with it. That being said, he's still on pace for over 40G.

I thought he also created quite a bit. Of course, no one mentioned his beautiful pass on Ekholm's goal. Or hitting the 100-point plateau for the FIFTH time, thus putting him in elite company. Or getting a career milestone in his 500th assist. Nope. Zero mention of any of that. Just people berating him for a random turnover and for hitting a f***ing post.

I am so f***ing sick of this fanbase and the way that it treats this player. I hope for Draisaitl's sake he leaves this organization and succeeds elsewhere just to spite the toxic fanbase.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This. Nuge will defer at any sign of an incoming opponent, doesn’t matter if it’s a 5-6 defenceman or a raw rookie- here you take it. Try to beat a guy one on one? Nope.
Yet I see McDrai doing it all night long, hell, damn near every forward we have atleast attempts to beat the opponent one on one.
But not little Nugey.
Its hilarious that the 2nd most productive player in the league the last 8 seasons gets disparaged 200X a night here and I just make a comment that it was hard to spot Nuge out there because he was again doing little and its "an attack" on Nuge. lmao his whole family must post here.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The strangest thing is it wasn't even the hardest hit Eckholm could lay out. He actually let up on it a bit as he stated. He didn't give him all and it was completely legit hit. Rantanen gets concussed because like an idiot he lets his head hit ice instead of raising arms to protect fall. Listen kids, never fall head first, if you don't know that don't go skateboarding, don't go BMX, just wrap yourself in bubblewrap.

When in doubt twist, curly, go fetal or anything when falling, don't go down like a f***ing bowling pin being knocked over. Most kids know this.

Just in the past week several Oilers got hit harder than that and they knew how to fall. Stecher the other day is hooked going straight into boards and because he knows how to fall he avoided serious injury. He was going full speed. Rantanen looks like an imbecile on this play.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Agree with this. I saw some of the Dallas game and other than the huge mistakes and some iffy goaltending, we didn't look all that bad. But those mind blowing errors that creep into the game from certain players from time to time are absolute killers.
Not going to go overboard with that game or this one. We played well against a very good team that looked a little tired and disinterested, but we still got the job done, so mission accomplished.

- Ekholm is by far the best dman on this team and might be top 5-7 in the entire league at this point. If anyone is worth 9 million a year, it's him.

- the much maligned Cody Ceci had another strong game and was our 2nd best dman. Made some really good solid exit plays and was robbed of a goal by a great post save.

- the PP continue to struggle as they insist on being perimeter darlings that are constantly looking for the pretty goals. Struds said it best, when he said that Ek and Nurse are always looking to shoot on the 2nd unit, and with multiple guys crashing the net, the chaos is opening things up. Interesting to note that a dman showed the way in crashing the net for success, and then Kane followed that up with another lesson on his first goal.

- Perry continues to amaze and perform. On a team that likes to overpass and stay on the perimeter too much, he is the antithesis of that, and he and Kane and Hyman lead the way to the net. We need lots more of that to be successful in the playoffs.

- Skinner has a decent game, not great, not bad, and after a couple early burps, shut the door. Would like him to come up with more big saves early, but no one is perfect and he is playing well overall and getting the job done, so not going to nitpick too much.
I think that you are spot on here. :nod:

Ekholm is so important to this team that they wouldnt even be a consideration for the Stanley Cup without him IMO.
I like that you acknowledged Ceci as well. He player very well.
I would just add that Kane (although got some luck on his goals) was doing what he needed to do to get involved...go to the net. Having him and Perry on the same line is hard for the other team to handle and I really like putting McLeod at centre on that line.
I fully expect that line to be an impact line in the playoffs.
Regarding the PP...they seem to struggle the most with aggressive PK's. So if they can move the puck quicker and take more shots from both sides of the ice (not just the Drai side) that would help IMO.

Reactions: Stoneman89

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
So were they throwing things at you or making physical threats?

Just lots of threats fuelled by alcohol. Normally it’s just good natured ribbing that goes back and forth but this was nasty and mean spirited and as the game wore on and the Coors light went to their heads it got ugly. They were mad because we wouldn’t respond I think and their team was kicking the crap out of us but there were a couple scrums - maybe a scrap can’t recall - and the morons around us wanted to start something in the stands.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
He let in 2 goals on 5 shots and we didn’t even give up a scoring chance.

You could have put up a .913 tonight, that’s not a proud number in a game like tonight.

Good game oilers! Total domination
How does it feel to be a fraud?:laugh:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Just lots of threats fuelled by alcohol. Normally it’s just good natured ribbing that goes back and forth but this was nasty and mean spirited and as the game wore on and the Coors light went to their heads it got ugly. They were mad because we wouldn’t respond I think and their team was kicking the crap out of us but there were a couple scrums - maybe a scrap can’t recall - and the morons around us wanted to start something in the stands.
How many horse piss Coors lites does one have to drink to even get a buzz? I wouldn't know as the taste of one repulses me. Maybe they're all upset about the beer and price? ;)

Are these people 16yrs old getting drunk first time?

Reminds me of the saying that Colorado and Denver would be nice places without all the cracked people that live there. This being a State where Hunter S Thompson was considered normal and just a good solid guy. Whoops, I'm on a RANTanen

Yeah you know this but reminds me why I don't go to games anymore. The worst I get in my rec room watching a game on the big screen is my cat pouncing on me for attention or when Coyotes are yelling constantly like last night. lol

I liked the post pre edit. lol

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Really solid hit by Ekholm but such an unusual hit in that Rantenen ended up with what looks very much like a concussion.
I couldnt see how his head was impacted from that collision. Ekholm didnt hit head and Rantenen didnt appear to hit his head on the ice or boards. At least not from what I could see,
Maybe it was just the sheer heaviness of the hit that caused the damage. :dunno:

Reactions: Morpheus

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
What was poor about his game? Yes, he missed two wide open looks on the PP. Something is clearly wrong with his shot this year and it's frustrating. Maybe the slash in last year's playoffs has something to do with it. That being said, he's still on pace for over 40G.

I thought he also created quite a bit. Of course, no one mentioned his beautiful pass on Ekholm's goal. Or hitting the 100-point plateau for the FIFTH time, thus putting him in elite company. Or getting a career milestone in his 500th assist. Nope. Zero mention of any of that. Just people berating him for a random turnover and for hitting a f***ing post.

I am so f***ing sick of this fanbase and the way that it treats this player. I hope for Draisaitl's sake he leaves this organization and succeeds elsewhere just to spite the toxic fanbase.
Yeah, 2 assists and a goal post and near miss would be enough for most folks. But if its Drai,, and here, lets burn him in effigy. "WTF up Drai, do something"

The strange thing is if Nuge hits a post in a game "he played great" "He practically scored" and "he's so good and does so much" If Drai who scores twice as many goals as Nuge hits a post he's some useless lazy hack that should try harder. He gets criticized for hitting posts. lol like its a "terrible" play. Anybody else gets credited for nearly scoring.

Reactions: Duke74

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Really solid hit by Ekholm but such an unusual hit in that Rantenen ended up with what looks very much like a concussion.
I couldnt see how his head was impacted from that collision. Ekholm didnt hit head and Rantenen didnt appear to hit his head on the ice or boards. At least not from what I could see,
Maybe it was just the sheer heaviness of the hit that caused the damage. :dunno:
He did hit the ice kinda cheek-first.

1712426421236.png

Reactions: Leonardlizard

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I grumbled about the forward lines.
I still dont think that its an effective long term solution but it sure worked against the Avs,

Solid bounceback win. Not a single passenger.
Aside from the Avs looking quite fatigued that was the defining factor in the game IMO.

Ekholm showing once again that he is the driving force on this defence.
KK is a pretty methodical, deep thinking coach. His comments after the game about the lineup were quite telling about what to expect going forward. He mentioned that line combos will be based on a whole whack of things, like how the other lines have been performing and if they need a jumpstart, if he has last change, the strengths/weaknesses of the opponent, etc. I like that he puts a lot of thought into each upcoming game and opponent. I don't get crazy over line combos, and how guys need to play together forever to maintain chemistry. These guys are all seasoned pros, and have played with just about every line combo imaginable this year, so tweaking them on a game to game basis if required to get the best matchup shouldn't be an issue for the boys. Most lines are like a jug of milk, they are great until suddenly they aren't. I know it's easy for us in our plush chairs to pretend we know about what the ideal lineups should be, but I've been more than impressed on what KK has done so far with strategy, and will give him the benefit of the doubt until we lose our last game of the season. ;)

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Such a crafty first goal by Perry. I have a ton of respect for his game. He really could have just gone somewhere like Arizona to play out the string. Nope - he's out there clobbering guys. He's a great vet and I really hope he and Kane can continue to work together

It’s kind of crazy to think Perry is the one still going out of the Ducks duo when you look back 8 years ago and Perry declined to a 50 point guy while Getzlaf was still PPG, and then 3 years ago Getzlaf was still a 50 point guy and Perry was a 30 point guy. Goes to show how much he loves hockey and still wants to win.

Hell of a game from the boys after an absolutely atrocious game against Dallas. Next season we need to get someone to deal with d-bags like Manson and Trenin. I said in the GDT that hopefully Connor would solve Georgiev and he did with 2 goals and setting Drai up with 2 shots that he scores more often than not. Ekholm nailed Rantanen not once, but twice. I'm guessing that he might be out for the rest of the regular season or maybe longer. That'd be a huge loss for the Avs. They will undoubtedly try to goon it up against us in our last game against them.

Disagree. We don’t need a 7 minute a night face puncher. Look at how bad Reaves has been in TO. We already have Nurse, Kane, Desharnais, Perry, and Carrick who won’t hesitate to drop the gloves and can hang with pretty much anyone. Even guys like Nuge, Gags, Henrique, etc will drop the gloves once in a while. Obviously they won’t all be back next year, but before these guys we had Kostin, Kassian, Khaira, etc. It’s been years since we’ve iced a team that wasn’t among the toughest in the league.

After what was his worst game as an Oiler, Nurse had a very strong game.

As did Ceci. That pairing was buzzing last night.

Has Rantanen had concussions before? That hit didn't look that bad. I know his head hit the ice but even that didn't look especially vicious; though I guess it doesn't matter sometimes.

I don’t know if I’d agree. That was about as big of hit as you’re going to see in the modern NHL. It was clean as can be, but any time you’re getting hit that hard there’s a chance of injury.

Apparently Landeskog slapped Ekholm around for messing with ( the Moose) Rantenen when he was a Predator and still hates him for it. According to an Avs fan on Reddit.
LMAO... That fanbase has a lot of nerve when they're still struggling with the basic rules of the game for them to comment on specifics. Empty Pepsi center when team struggles. Fairweather F ......

I don’t see why Avs fans are so proud of Landeskog for that. He grabbed Ekholm out of a scrum and started teeing off on him without Ekholm even dropping his gloves. I’m actually surprised Landeskog wasn’t suspended considering Nurse got 3 games for a similar incident (mind you, I shouldn’t be surprised, considering Parros is incompetent)

Well, one went in off his chest and the other was a weak one that dribbled in on an overworked goalie, so it's not like he sniped it into the top corner.:D As far as I'm concerned, he's still in his slump until he pots some hard snipes, and it looks like he feels the same. Have no issues with him at all though, he's still playing hard and going to the greasy areas. He usually doesn't get too excited when he scores anyway, I like that about him. Very even keeled.

Disagree. Look at Brown. Kane banked it in off his skate and suddenly he pots a few more, and has as many points in the last 10 games as he had in the 54 previous. Sometimes you just need to get the monkey off your back.

Reactions: Captain Fantastic

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
How many horse piss Coors lites does one have to drink to even get a buzz? I wouldn't know as the taste of one repulses me. Maybe they're all upset about the beer and price? ;)

Are these people 16yrs old getting drunk first time?

Yeah you know this but reminds me why I don't go to games anymore. The worst I get in my rec room watching a game on the big screen is my cat pouncing on me for attention or when Coyotes are yelling constantly like last night. lol

It’s the US. A Coors light down there is like a Chimay Blue up here but without the flavor and a fraction of the alcohol. 6 or 7 and they are wasted. Plus it’s Denver. Pretty sure most of them rode in on their cattle from the ranch sipping the potatoe juice from their still through a straw.

• Haha
Reactions: Drivesaitl

Gnome17

Mar 4, 2016
Sweden
The thing is that the Oilers can only play the team in front of them regardless of any of the other factors.
I thought that the Avs looked fatigued as well but there have been times when the shoes has been on the other foot.
The Oilers took care of business.
I am not going to read too much into this win just like we shouldnt read too much into the loss against Dallas.

So has this team proven to me that the Oilers can beat the Avs in a 7 game series?
Yes...I think that they can BUT I think that everything has to fall into place for this team to be able to do that. The Avs and the Stars are the elite teams in the League and to beat them in a 7 game series everything has to go right. It can absolutely happen though.

So the Avs are a better team IMO but if this team plays a tight defensive 4 line game and gets solid goaltending they can absolutely win.
Yeah for sure. Agree with everything you said.

Reactions: guymez

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
Yeah Ekholm stated in his post game presser that he held up, stopped skating prior to the hit, and could have hit him harder than he did.
Clean hit. Rantanen hit his head on the ice and it bounced like a basketball. From what I’ve seen on multiple replays Rantanen didn’t see the hit coming, and didn’t brace himself and fell awkwardly.
I don’t wish injury on anyone but man that was an amazing display of newtons laws of motion in action.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Its hilarious that the 2nd most productive player in the league the last 8 seasons gets disparaged 200X a night here and I just make a comment that it was hard to spot Nuge out there because he was again doing little and its "an attack" on Nuge. lmao his whole family must post here.
You certainly are not one to talk. From making up crap about Skinner "demanding to play every game" and " insisting on wearing Grant Fuhr type goalie pads for the Heritage game" and trashing him every time he loses a game, and then doubling down, saying "the team can't stand Kane" , you are the last one that should criticize anyone for making disparaging remarks about individual players.

None of us have ever been hit by a Viking. There must be a special type of heaviness in it, that can't be replicated by mere mortals of this earth.:D

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
It’s kind of crazy to think Perry is the one still going out of the Ducks duo when you look back 8 years ago and Perry declined to a 50 point guy while Getzlaf was still PPG, and then 3 years ago Getzlaf was still a 50 point guy and Perry was a 30 point guy. Goes to show how much he loves hockey and still wants to win.

Disagree. We don’t need a 7 minute a night face puncher. Look at how bad Reaves has been in TO. We already have Nurse, Kane, Desharnais, Perry, and Carrick who won’t hesitate to drop the gloves and can hang with pretty much anyone. Even guys like Nuge, Gags, Henrique, etc will drop the gloves once in a while. Obviously they won’t all be back next year, but before these guys we had Kostin, Kassian, Khaira, etc. It’s been years since we’ve iced a team that wasn’t among the toughest in the league.

I don’t know if I’d agree. That was about as big of hit as you’re going to see in the modern NHL. It was clean as can be, but any time you’re getting hit that hard there’s a chance of injury.

I don’t see why Avs fans are so proud of Landeskog for that. He grabbed Ekholm out of a scrum and started teeing off on him without Ekholm even dropping his gloves. I’m actually surprised Landeskog wasn’t suspended considering Nurse got 3 games for a similar incident (mind you, I shouldn’t be surprised, considering Parros is incompetent)

Disagree. Look at Brown. Kane banked it in off his skate and suddenly he pots a few more, and has as many points in the last 10 games as he had in the 54 previous. Sometimes you just need to get the monkey off your back.
The same Reaves that allowed Toronto to take liberties with us because no one wanted that smoke?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

I never said he wasn't playing well and didn't deserve goals. Quite the opposite in fact. Just that I think he really needs to snipe one to really start feeling good about himself and get some confidence to truly be over the hump. But getting anything into the net with his name attached to it should help.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad