Good tv series to watch?

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Just a couple I haven't seen mentioned

The Expanse (one of the best Sci fi shows ever made imo. If you're into that. Push through the first two to four episodes. First season starts climbing in quality and skyrockets by the mid point of season 2)

The Good Place (a consistently strong and upbeat comedy that actually has a fair bit to say about human morality and has a fair share of touching moments)

Harley Quinn (Wouldn't say it's worth getting DC's streaming service but if you can get it for a month or on a trial it's a fun animated comic book show. The jokes at times feel forced but enough of them got genuine laughs out of me that I didn't mind)

Stranger Things (it's not consistent in quality all the way through but I think even the weakest season is still a good binge.)

The IT Crowd (might not be everyone's cup of tea but for a show with a laugh track I found most episodes hilarious. Def an easy Netflix comedy to binge all the way through.)

Limited series: The People vs OJ Simpson (I think it's worth the watch even if you know the whole saga front and back)

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
The following are my absolute favorites (in no particular order):

Carnivale - abruptly canceled after two really good seasons... gorgeous and atmospheric work of dustbowl-era fantasy and there's been absolutely nothing like it since.

Boardwalk Empire - beautifully filmed and well-acted crime drama... and the women characters are well-written (a plus for a gangster-themed series).

Garrow's Law - one of those series almost no one's seen and is an absolute corker... it's about a barrister in 18th England - intrigue, romance, mystery, everything!

Escape at Dannemora - full of wit, soul, humour and you'll definitely cry .. the actors, the soundtrack are tremendous, and one of my favorite types of stories - a prison break.

The Affair - okay, the premise might throw you off and this is occasionally pretentious... but still, what a whirlwind of emotions and great actors ... and unbelievable twists and turns and delightfully weird (the final season turns into sci-fi???) and wow what a finale!

Poirot - pure comfort television ... the short ones are sometimes poor, but the feature-length episodes are mostly good .. David Suchet is amazing.

Star Trek TNG - Do I really need to explain? Good light fun... but also not too light ... sometimes surprisingly deep and philosophical. But mostly fun.

Line of Duty - the finest currently running show? Quite possibly. Think Prime Suspect, but much more action. Unbelievable and shocking surprises. Characters you'll love to hate. You'll be on the edge of your seat.

Happy Valley - one of the best currently running British shows... a mix of procedural and dramatic elements and excellent acting all around. They've been really slow to get to series 3.

The Night of - the first episode is maybe the finest I've ever seen in a series - to such an extent that the rest is a letdown. But still quite good.

Mrs. America - I wasn't expecting much, but what a delightful surprise. If you're into American politics, don't miss this one. An insightful and droll stroll through the 1970s.

Damages - First three seasons are lots of fun... at times really silly, but thoroughly entertaining. One of Danson's finest roles too... avoid seasons 4/5 like the plague.

Wind at My Back - My favorite Canadian series, set in depression-era Ontario .. a little cheesy at times, but altogether irresistible.

The Simpsons - the greatest American television satire, period. Seasons 1-8 only. Okay, maybe 9.

Sitcoms (you need these during the pandemic)

Roseanne
Frasier
Seinfeld
Third Rock from the Sun
Everybody Loves Raymond

Edit:
Added Damages. ;)

Last edited:

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
Lonesome Dove is the greatest miniseries of all time. If you like westerns and haven’t seen it I really can’t recommend it enough. Hell even if you don’t love westerns I would still give it a shot, the acting and story are top notch. Tommy Lee Jones and Robert Duvall give the performances of a lifetime, I can’t count how many times I’ve rewatched it.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Does anyone watch network sitcoms on ABC, NBC, CBS or FOX? It seems like most are suggestions from streaming networks.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Another series I liked but don't see talked about much is "Humans". I think it was on either AMC or BBC America. They only did three seasons, all were good.

Humans-N-for-Nerds.jpg

Reactions: explore

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Started watching Babylon 5....not a big fan from the first episode, it's pretty cheesy, but the comedy dryspell on TV means I can try out some shows I normally wouldn't watch.

Does anyone watch network sitcoms on ABC, NBC, CBS or FOX? It seems like most are suggestions from streaming networks.

Used to but the good ones all dried up by the mid-2010s. Some occasional ones worth a watch like The Good Place and Ted Lasso on Apple feels very sitcomy but most of the new ones aren't really worth a mention imo. They tend to get cancelled after a season or two for a reason. Mr. Mayor has some potential though and Brooklyn Nine-Nine looks like it's still going on its final legs.

Last edited:

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I'll mention some shows that haven't been mentioned in here already.

Nathan For You - A comedy about Nathan Fielder trying to help struggling businesses with unorthodox techniques. One of the most absurd shows you will watch, but there's a fair amount of cringe and deadpan humour. My favourite part of this show is there is a very thin layer of wholesomeness where you can tell Nathan actually really cares about these people, but it often goes unnoticed in the comedy.

Rick and Morty - It's become a bit overhyped, but the first couple of seasons are peak adult cartoon humour. It's basically Back to the Future if Doc was a raging alcoholic and Marty had aspergers.

Watchmen - great miniseries that is a totally different take on the Watchmen graphic novel.

Arrested Development - the first season is comedy gold, the next two seasons are still great. The reboot was pretty weak though.

Chernobyl - reimagining of the nuclear meltdown, if that interests you. I love the cinematography of this show - beautifully shot and really captures the eeriness of the situation.

Silicon Valley - it peaks in the first few seasons, but the whole show is hilarious and the storyline, while repetitive, is still engaging.

Reactions: explore

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
Best season evah.... evah evah.... forever evah !

Honestly, that last season ruined the show for me. It was that bad.

Yeah, me too. That's why it's just a single watch recommended show for me. I honestly have not watched a GoT episode since that last one and probability won't. No rewatchability thanks to season 8, but I'm still glad I watched it for all the epic moments and surprising story telling that came before the end.

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
curb your enthusiasm
Fringe
person of interest
the last dance
the office us
true detective season 1
counterpart
babylon berlin
dark
Chuck
when they see us
godless
13 reasons why season 1
tiger king
homeland
house of cards season 1 and 2
the jinx the life and deaths of robert durst
chapelle show
unbelievable
manhunt unabomber
the good doctor
the crown
succession
fauda
the mandolorian
archer
outlander
The umbrella academy
kingdom (the zombie show)
Raised by wolves
My brillant friend
Killing eve
the witcher
casa de papel
Sex education
South park
The handmaid,s tale season 1
Barry
Making a murderer
narcos
GENIUS
Taskmaster uk

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
The Affair - okay, the premise might throw you off and this is occasionally pretentious... but still, what a whirlwind of emotions and great actors ... and unbelievable twists and turns and delightfully weird (the final season turns into sci-fi???) and wow what a finale!
That might be my favorite finale of any series I've seen. Having two of the core cast members leave forced them to change whatever the original plan was for the final season. The "Joanie" storyline in Season 5 was very ambitious, but executed perfectly.

I highly recommend the series to anybody (except for Season 3, which was somewhat of a mess) . The show has great rewatch value just to spot the subtle differences in two characters version of the same scene.

Reactions: Fantomas

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
Spartacus- Its seems really shallow the first 3 episodes but I promise you there is some depth and good character work in the series. Ultra violents, ultra sexual, and ultra beauty. One of a kind show. Pure testosterone fun.

Upload- Really fun sci fi rom com. A person dies and gets uploaded to a utopia computer program. Really heart warming.

Waco- A 6 episode mini series was the 1992 siege of Waco. Heart wrenching and well done. I would suggest a podcast or documentary to get a more balanced view of events. Its more sympathetic to David and painting the government as really bad.

Patriot- A dark comedy heist with superb acting. About a miserable guy going with the flow and ends up doing Oceans 11 stuff. The comedy is really subtle and there is plenty of drama. Very underrated show.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad