Good tv series to watch?

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
For Netflix shows- Breaking Bad, Queens Gambit, Shameless, Ozark, Peaky Blinders, etc...are all good shows.

If you have HBO- The Sopranos, Band of Brothers, The Wire, etc...are amazing shows.

If you're willing to spend a bit of money or have AMC- Mad Men is the GOAT. Best show ever, imo. The Americans is also a pretty good show but can drag a bit every now and then.

I'd rank them like this:
1) Mad Men

2A) The Wire
2B) The Sopranos
3) Band of Brothers (limited series)

4) Breaking Bad
5) Shameless
6) The Americans

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few, though.

Reactions: frisco

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
For me
(if you haven't seen them)
1)Breaking Bad: honestly one of those shows where every season is better than the last one.
2)Black Mirror: an anthology series, ala Twilight Zone, that deals with the consequences of technology. It might be a bit dour but it has amazing story telling.
3)Game of Thrones: despite the divisive final season, it still truly is one of the biggest tv spectacles ever made.
4)The Boys: a great deconstruction of superheroes in a real capitalist world.
5)The Wire: probably the most realistic crime drama and has, imo, the deepest ensemble of characters, there's like 30-40 characters in this show that are memorable.
6)Battlestar Galactica: a sci-fi that was ahead of its time, it asks interesting question and deals with a variety of themes. It's well told naval space opera.
7)The Leftovers: a really under appreciated drama. If you're a fan of marvel's MCU and ever wondered what a Thanos snap like event would play out in the real world, this show does that. Strange and gut wrenching are the words I'd use to describe this show.
8)The Expanse: a political space sci-fi series, that has it's lows, but when it hits those high moments you'll be the edge of your seat and intrigued .

Mini-series
1) Watchmen: the writing on this is unparalleled for me. Though, you might need to read the graphic novel which this series is a direct sequel to.
2)Band of Brothers: the writing and acting are top notch, and the cast is amazing.
3)Chernobyl: another gut wrenching show, it was tough to sit through but it's told so well and the acting is top notch.

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
For me
(if you haven't seen them)
1)Breaking Bad: honestly one of those shows where every season is better than the last one.
2)Black Mirror: an anthology series, ala Twilight Zone, that deals with the consequences of technology. It might be a bit dour but it has amazing story telling.
3)Game of Thrones: despite the divisive final season, it still truly is one of the biggest tv spectacles ever made.
4)The Boys: a great deconstruction of superheroes in a real capitalist world.
5)The Wire: probably the most realistic crime drama and has, imo, the deepest ensemble of characters, there's like 30-40 characters in this show that are memorable.
6)Battlestar Galactica: a sci-fi that was ahead of its time, it asks interesting question and deals with a variety of themes. It's well told naval space opera.
7)The Leftovers: a really under appreciated drama. If you're a fan of marvel's MCU and ever wondered what a Thanos snap like event would play out in the real world, this show does that. Strange and gut wrenching are the words I'd use to describe this show.
8)The Expanse: a political space sci-fi series, that has it's lows, but when it hits those high moments you'll be the edge of your seat and intrigued .

Mini-series
1) Watchmen: the writing on this is unparalleled for me. Though, you might need to read the graphic novel which this series is a direct sequel to.
2)Band of Brothers: the writing and acting are top notch, and the cast is amazing.
3)Chernobyl: another gut wrenching show, it was tough to sit through but it's told so well and the acting is top notch.

Excellent list

I would add Better Call Saul right after completing Breaking Bad.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I just finished Yellowstone which I think I’d the best series created are there any other good ones out there now?

My favorites (in no order):

- Friday Night Lights
- Too Old to Die Young
- Twin Peaks

After that there's a huge gap, but I've enjoyed stuff like Bloodline too.

I had not heard of Yellowstone, just watched a teaser and it looks pretty good, I'll have a look.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site

- Friday Night Lights
- Too Old to Die Young
- Twin Peaks

I had not heard of Yellowstone, just watched a teaser and it looks pretty good, I'll have a look.

My wife and I recently started a re-watch of Friday Night Lights. We were looking for just low stress, but high quality stuff to watch, and this fit the bill perfectly.

We're watching the usually dreaded season 2 right now, and are still enjoying it. Even with some if the ridiculous plotlines, the characters are so much fun to spend time with.

Reactions: Pranzo Oltranzista

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
My wife and I recently started a re-watch of Friday Night Lights. We were looking for just low stress, but high quality stuff to watch, and this fit the bill perfectly.

We're watching the usually dreaded season 2 right now, and are still enjoying it. Even with some if the ridiculous plotlines, the characters are so much fun to spend time with.

Season 2 is not ttooooo bad. It feels it gets away from the realistic general tone with the murder mystery, but... well, I've worked with kids and I've been a coach for the last 11 years, and my gf works in a high school, so we identify quite a bit to the main characters and the coach's experiences are really close to a lot of stuff I went through. The murder plotline is not that far out, I had worse (well, to me at least it feels like worse).

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
A few that I haven't seen mentioned:

Lost: A lot of people weren't happy with the final season/episode but there is a lot of awesomeness over 6 seasons
Broadchurch: Original British version, not the American remake. Season 1 is excellent, season 2 is meh, season 3 is very good
Downton Abbey: Sort of an early 20th century British version of Yellowstone (saving the family estate in the face of changing times) without all the killing and profanity and weirdness.
Good Omens: David Tennant as a demon, Michael Sheen as an angel, trying to prevent the coming of the antichrist and the end of the world as we know it. Good fun.
Sherlock: modern (loose) adaptation of Sherlock Holmes.

Last edited:

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
A few that I haven't seen mentioned:

Lost: A lot of people weren't happy with the final season/episode but there is a lot of awesomeness over 6 seasons
Broadchurch: Original British version, not the American remake. Season 1 is excellent, season 2 is meh, season 3 is very good
Downton Abbey: Sort of an early 20th century version of Yellowstone (saving the family estate in the face of changing times) without all the killing and profanity and weirdness.
Good Omens: David Tennant as a demon, Michael Sheen as an angel, trying to prevent the coming of the antichrist and the end of the world as we know it. Good fun.
Sherlock: modern (loose) adaptation of Sherlock Holmes.
This right here. Such a great show

Reactions: Jack Straw

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Season 2 is not ttooooo bad. It feels it gets away from the realistic general tone with the murder mystery, but... well, I've worked with kids and I've been a coach for the last 11 years, and my gf works in a high school, so we identify quite a bit to the main characters and the coach's experiences are really close to a lot of stuff I went through. The murder plotline is not that far out, I had worse (well, to me at least it feels like worse).

What I find interesting is that it actually went to show how great an actor Jesse Plemons was, and how he was one of the better success stories off that show. He was able to make a pretty poorly written plotline compelling based on his performance. Adrianne Palicki as well.

I first watched that show right before my first kid was born, and I think it's hitting me different as a parent.

Reactions: Pranzo Oltranzista

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
What I find interesting is that it actually went to show how great an actor Jesse Plemons was, and how he was one of the better success stories off that show. He was able to make a pretty poorly written plotline compelling based on his performance. Adrianne Palicki as well.

I first watched that show right before my first kid was born, and I think it's hitting me different as a parent.

Yes, absolutely one of my favorite on the show too!

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
Twin peaks is fun if you skip over the James "arc" in season 2. I use a quotation mark on arc since it's literally filler and doesn't do anything move the plot along.

DynamiteKid

Aug 12, 2005
Stony Plain
We are in the middle of Yellowstone right now (S2, Ep5) and I agree, it's great.

A criminally underappreciated show is Teenage Bounty Hunters from Netflix. Had a great cliffhanger at the end of season 1, but got cancelled for some stupid reason.

Jack Ryan (Amazon Prime) is great. I was leary about Jim from "The Office" starting in it, but he (and the story) are both amazing.

Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (Amazon Prime) is very funny. I think I liked S2 best of the 3. My wife loves the 50's era, so that helps.

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
Based on you liking Yellowstone, I'll recommend these:

Justified, Deadwood, Hatfields & McCoys, Sons of Anarchy, The Shield, Ozark, and Breaking Bad

Reactions: SniperHF

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020

- Friday Night Lights
- Too Old to Die Young
- Twin Peaks

I just watched the first episode of Friday Night Lights last night...

I don't think I'll make it to episode 2... I just didn't care about any of the characters... and the cocky black running back was too much of a caricature/stereotype that it pretty much turned me off of the series

Last edited:

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Game Of Thrones
Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul
The Sopranos
Fargo
Entourage
The Killing
Mindhunter
Justified
Ozark
The Wire
Jack Ryan
Dexter
Vikings
Sons Of Anarchy
Hell On Wheels
Hannibal

And a couple of miniseries worth checking out...

Chernobyl
The Queen's Gambit
Klondike

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad