Good players that you never respected

Florbalista

Jul 28, 2019
One way player who almost never rose to the occasion, no matter where he was playing.

Since the poster above me mentioned Game 7 as the ultimate test of one's value to their team due to the pressure and importance, I went and checked Jagr's Game 7 stats. I mean, if someone almost never rises to the occasion, you expect them to blow in that particular regard.

That's why I was surprised to find him at 11 points in 8 games, 10 in 7 for the Pens. 1,42 PPG for the Pens, mind you. What shocked me even more was that in all of the Game 7's he ever played, he was held pointless exactly once, against the Islanders in 93.

Even in 2013, he assisted on the game-tying goal that sent Game 7 between the Leafs and the Bruins into the overtime.

'That ImporterExporter, he sounds like he knows his hockey though," me thinks. So let's check some other boys.

Sid got to see the Game 7 hell seven times. He was held scoreless on four occasions. Managed to score 5 points, three of those in that vintage game against the Caps. In other six of those, he amassed two assists.

Malkin? Six points in seven games.

"Well, maybe Mario!" me thinks again. So me digs, and me finds. Yes, Mario better than both Sid and Geno in Game 7, because Mario 6 in 6, held scoreless only once.

But one man not like the others there.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Also, when I think of clutch players, you can score 10 goals in games 1-6 but if you consistently no-show for game 7, when it’s really show time, then I don’t consider you a money player.
That doesn't really make sense. Of course, if you get to game 7, it's important to show up for it, but -- esp. in Iginla's case when he was the only scoring 'star' on his team -- if he scored 10 goals in the first six games, then he would be the only reason his team made it past a four-game sweep loss. That is, they'd never have made it to game seven except for him.

Speaking of game 7's, you seem to be overlooking game 7 between the Flames and Canucks in 2004, when Iginla came up with 2 goals and 1 (primary) assist in overtime on the Flames' three goals that won the series. I think Mike Keenan said it was the greatest performance he'd ever seen in the playoffs by a player.

2005 game 7? We've been over it, but the Flames collectively scored 1 goal combined in games six and seven. In that series (vs. Ducks), Iginla scored 5 goals. The rest of the Flames' forwards combined scored 9. He led both teams in that series in goals, points, shots-on-goal, and shooting percentage. And you're blaming him for the loss...? Okay.

2008 game 7? When the Flames lost (to the Sharks), Iginla again led both teams in goals and points. And he scored in game 7.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
I will go with Patrick Marleau.

What a vanilla , bland , emotion less player. He puts up good numbers but doesnt seem to have a burning desire to actually win hockey games. Hes just out there putting numbers and playing like a professional but his game leaves me indifferent.

He seems happy to be considered a good player and to play in the NHL for a long time , wich is great for sure but not cutting it if you want to make it to HHOF and be remembered.

I was just thinking yesterday about Marleau in regards to what he brought to the Leafs over the last couple years. Maybe what the current young Leafs team needed a couple years ago what an example of professionalism, but now what they need is a kick in the ass and some fire in their belly, and Marleau certainly isn't the guy to bring that.

Seems like a good guy, but as you say, I never really sensed any urgency in his game. I'd kill a man to get old Gary Roberts or even a 40 year old Gilmour back in the fold.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Not disagreeing with people hating Messier, but I'm just curious if those people hold Rocket Richard, Bobby Clarke, and other similar all-time great players to the same standard with regards to dirtiness (and specifically in this case, stick infractions). If you hate Mess for being dirty, then surely you hate those guys as well? Hell, Gordie Howe was arguably as well known for his elbows as he was for his goal scoring...

It's absolutely great that the league has cracked down on violent stick infractions, but it's also important to judge players based on the standards of their time.

That's fair enough. For the most part the players will go as far as the league allows. The league is accountable for allowing games to turn into WWF circuses.

That said, Bobby Clarke is a douche, and not just for what he did as a player.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

8LX7psQ

Apr 13, 2010
Not really, no. Messier had great respect for all his opponents.

A half-dozen times or so in a 26-year career he crossed the line into dangerous plays, but in all cases I've seen he simply lost his temper in the heat of the battle. He was an intense player with a physical edge. I never once saw Messier wack a guy with his stick.

Also, Messier didn't go after elite players like Mario or Yzerman, ala Gary Suter. (Yeah, I know he elbowed Mike Modano in a collision, but that's more an example of him raising an elbow to protect himself in anticipation of a hit. He didn't know who the player was. Also, we got that stretcher-fail clip from that incident, which makes it worth it.)

Sometimes he hit smaller guys, but Messier also answered the bell by fighting with McSorley (3 times, I think), Peplinski, Roberts, many others, etc.

If you're going to call Messier the dirtiest guy ever, you have to do the same for Gary Roberts, Eric Lindros, Gordie Howe, etc. It was a different time with different standards.

Man I love the Oilers and really enjoy your posts but... Mess was a killer. His elbows were legendary. The game was just different.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad