Post-Game Talk: Good effort but Jets lose 5-3

None

Feb 22, 2012
I'd be willing to bet he tweaked the thing he tried so hard not to tweak. What a shame. At least we have a couple days between games to see if it settles down

Yeah, a broken collarbone makes less sense the more I think about it. I don't think he had a noticeable sagging shoulder and he definitely wasn't keeping his arm straight while hunched over on the bench.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I mentioned it a couple times already but I really liked Kupari last night. Great speed and what really impressed me is his lack of panic with the puck. There were a couple of times where the Jets were looking like they were going to start running around in their zone and he make a couple of quick elusive moves with the puck, and bought himself enough time to make a smart exit play.

I thought there was too much panic with the puck from guys like Dillon and Schmidt. These guys are vets and freaking out and icing the puck was unneccesary on a number of occasions. One thing you can notice with defensemen who aren't feeling confident is when they go in for a puck retrieval instead of picking the puck up off the boards and staying in motion, even if to do a quick stop or a turn back - they turn their back to the play and eat the puck, almost inviting a board battle. I saw a lot of that from those two. They will need to be much better there.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Should have won that game
I think Calgary scored on all 3 chances they had that game
I can't think of much we did wrong all night other then not score enough
We broke out of zone with ease. We entered the O zone with ease.
Don't think we got hemmed in our zone all night till the end
I think at one point we had give up 8 shots against about half way through the game and maybe 12 shot attempts.
Thought all 4 lines looked solid. All 4 had chances to score and multiple chances at that. Can't think of too many weak points other then Perfetti in the faceoff dot.
I thought the D looked really good for the most part. Morrissey got better as the game went along. Samberg looks like a bonfide top 4 D and made Pionk look good. The bottom pair is the weakest part of the team and for the most part I thought they played fine.

Not going to comment about the last part of the game. It happens. It was game one. You move on and take the positives which there was a lot of. Calgary fans are going to be "happy" they won but jesus they looked terrible.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
If the team plays like that, and has metrics like that, they're win more often than not.

Really liked a lot of the forward play, and I thought Ehlers looked really good for a guy who hadn't been able to play a game or practice past game 1 of the pre season. Made some nice plays out there. Liked the forwards for the most part. Overall the team held the Flames to pretty low shot totals. Bad break on the 1st and 3rd goals.
Only negatives for me is that they need to bury more of their chances, Helle needs to be better, and as much as I don't expect players or teams to be perfect, it seems like this team is always good for bonehead plays and mental breakdowns. The icing at the end of the game, and then the complete inability to maintain your positions and get to OT is mindboggling. Kupari, Schmidt, and Dillon all lost after the faceoff.

Krauser

Oct 3, 2017
all Jets games with a 5v5 xGF% (score- and venue-adjusted) over 75%, since the 2018-19 season

82.41% -- Jets 5 Blackhawks 1, Nov 2021
81.98% -- Flames 5 Jets 3, Oct 2023
77.84% -- Jets 3 Red Wings 0, Jan 2022
77.23% -- Jets 6 Sharks 2, Apr 2023
75.07% -- Jets 4 Coyotes 2, Apr 2019

...so last night was the Jets 2nd most dominant game by scoring chance share in the last 5+ seasons.

Last edited:

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
I liked the aggressiveness all over the ice. Definitely noticed more stick checks and generally giving the Calgary players no space. Play like that nightly and we will win lots. Bones and Lauer talk to Brindamour over the off season I guess cuz Jets looking like they playing or trying to play Like the Canes do.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
If Ehelers is OK I'm curious to see how the second line evolves over the next few games. To me I felt Cole didn't get enough puck touches in the offensive end which imo was part of the reason he really wasn't able to get into the game offensively. He spent a lot of time sitting infront of the net while Ehlers had the puck on the outside. I'm curious to see how he modifies his game to his linemate. We know Nik is going to want to have most of the puck so maybe Cole is going to need to get used to being more of a link man/trigger man in the ozone instead of the play driving playmaker. He might have to get back to playing like he did in the Hilinka.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
If Ehelers is OK I'm curious to see how the second line evolves over the next few games. To me I felt Cole didn't get enough puck touches in the offensive end which imo was part of the reason he really wasn't able to get into the game offensively. He spent a lot of time sitting infront of the net while Ehlers had the puck on the outside. I'm curious to see how he modifies his game to his linemate. We know Nik is going to want to have most of the puck so maybe Cole is going to need to get used to being more of a link man/trigger man in the ozone instead of the play driving playmaker.

He missed a grade A chance when he wasn't able to get a shot off. It didn't seem like he was expecting a pass there but he was in a prime spot all he had to do was probably put it on net.

I don't think he was awful, I think his line was pretty good. If Neids puts in one of those early chances he has, we are probably praising Perfetti.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Can't call timeout on icing..
It was great pass back by the Flames not Schimdt's or Helly fault ... that was Kupari's man.
The bad play which cost the game was the icing ... Schimdt had time to move it out.
Over all ... I'm not upset. Jets played good ... the power play looks awesome without Wheeler.
Jets play like this they win 9 out of 10 times.
I take the summer off from hockey and apparently forget the rules. Kupari blew it on his guy but Schmidt could have not vacated the front of the net so quickly. Oh well, we outside of seeming to be too easy to score on the team played pretty well.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
He missed a grade A chance when he wasn't able to get a shot off. It didn't seem like he was expecting a pass there but he was in a prime spot all he had to do was probably put it on net.

I don't think he was awful, I think his line was pretty good. If Neids puts in one of those early chances he has, we are probably praising Perfetti.

I thought he played very well off the puck but was not really feeling it offensively with the puck on his stick like he can. I'm sure Bones has tasked him with taking care of his end first so I'm sure that is occupying a lot of his focus. But you are correct that if Nino pots one he's walking away with atleast one assist in addition to his 90 plus XGF% on the night. There was a lot to like in his first game at center and I'm not worried about his offense. He'll find his niche on that line, just might take him a couple of games. I'm just curious what that may look like.

Reactions: wraithsonwings

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Neo could have had 2 goals easy last night, i like him too. Maybe his visor got in his eyesight.:naughty::laugh:
Nino is awesome. One of the OG analytical darlings.
Yeah, a broken collarbone makes less sense the more I think about it. I don't think he had a noticeable sagging shoulder and he definitely wasn't keeping his arm straight while hunched over on the bench.
Feel like if you broke your collar bone you'd know right away. AC joint sprain / separated shoulder? Think he had something similar couple years ago.

None

Feb 22, 2012
Feel like if you broke your collar bone you'd know right away. AC joint sprain / separated shoulder? Think he had something similar couple years ago.

I originally thought he was holding his ribs or midsection. Might've just been cramping or tension if we're lucky.

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
Just want to say well done board on not having a complete meltdown right now

Some teams boards are in complete panic mode already
the skaters played excellent and dominated the flames. we lost because markstrom stood on his head and helley played like shit. im sure that can be resolved. so im not surprised people arent melting down.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
What do you think of his performance over the past several years? That has a lot more value than this one game. It predicts how he'll do in future games a lot more than this one game.

But that is not his point, at least right now. Helle was a lot less than great. The D corps in front of him was a lot less than great. I don't think it was just Schmidt.

There are reasons beyond just luck and bounces why we could massively outplay another team and still lose on the scoreboard.

Speaking of Schmidt ...... What was his problem during TC? How ready was he for the first game? Clearly not very ready but he missed a lot of TC so still rusty.

I don't want to make excuses for anyone at this point. All in all, the Jets played a very strong game but mistakes did them in. They created a lot of scoring chances but didn't finish enough of them. They had a few defensive/goaltending lapses that cost them the game.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad