Good column on the Jackets season ticket holder dilemma

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
I'm not a PSL holder but surprised the PSL lasted this long. They stopped advertising them several years ago and I've been under the impression the cost to purchase one in recent years was very small.

I believe my brother got $100 for his pair of PSL's (lower bowl), 6 years ago.

:shakehead

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
There is ONE simple thing the CBJ can do for STH that is simple to do, won't cost all that much and will be greatly appreciated. A private high-speed Wi-Fi network for STH only. It's maddening that I can't send out a simple tweet or check the scores of other sporting events while I'm in the Arena.

Skraut

Jul 31, 2006
Enter city here
There is ONE simple thing the CBJ can do for STH that is simple to do, won't cost all that much and will be greatly appreciated. A private high-speed Wi-Fi network for STH only. It's maddening that I can't send out a simple tweet or check the scores of other sporting events while I'm in the Arena.
but how do you stop a friend of a friend from passing it on, and pretty soon the network is unusable for all.

They posted the password last season in the Social Suite, and I routinely saw media members tweeting, asking Social Suite members to quit giving the password out, because it was unusable for them.

Last edited:

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
but how do you stop a friend of a friend from passing it on, and pretty soon the network is unusable for all.

They posted the password last season in the Social Suite, and I routinely saw media members tweeting, asking Social Suite members to quit giving the password out, because it was unusable for them.

There are a few possible solutions.

1) Have an app available for download, with access to wifi only coming through that. I don't know if that's actually possible

2) Boot anyone who gives out the wifi password from the Social Suite

3) Force anyone who taps into the network without access to spend 24 hours with me, with them only being allowed to ask one-sentence questions and then having to listen to my sermons in response. There's a test at the end.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
i don't have issues with getting tweets or FB posts out during games...i guess TMobile is good for something after all

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
or all you youngins' could live without social media and the rest of that stuff for 3 hrs. Take it from an oldtimer, its possible. :)

Or maybe us old guys should get together and audition for one of those uverse commercials - :laugh:

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio

You log in with a username and password like you do at First Watch or other restaurants with free wifi. If someone else logs on with your username/password, you get knocked off. Incentive enough to keep from sharing the account information.

Regarding the geezer advice, life and business go on while I'm at the game. I'd like to be able to check up on it during intermissions (the absolute WORST time to use cellular data at NWA)

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Regarding the geezer advice, life and business go on while I'm at the game. I'd like to be able to check up on it during intermissions (the absolute WORST time to use cellular data at NWA)

Um, pay phone?

Really, I understand that constant connectivity has become the norm and agree that wifi (or whatever comes next) should be available in the Arena. Eventually, I imagine it will be everywhere, anyway (otherwise, the NSA might miss something!).

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
You log in with a username and password like you do at First Watch or other restaurants with free wifi. If someone else logs on with your username/password, you get knocked off. Incentive enough to keep from sharing the account information.

Geezer? Didn't your mother tell you to respect your elders? :laugh::laugh:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
There are a few possible solutions.

1) Have an app available for download, with access to wifi only coming through that. I don't know if that's actually possible

Sortakindamaybe. iOS sandbox restrictions might render it impractical on that platform (I've never looked into whether or not Apple allows for that sort of thing. I suspect they don't.)

2) Boot anyone who gives out the wifi password from the Social Suite

This could be the right way to handle it, or it could be thoroughly useless. If this password is being given to Social Suite folks in advance and they're sharing via Twitter or something, it's useful. If it's being given at the time and other folks are getting it by being told face-to-face, or being texted, or by sneaking in and reading it from documentation there, this would accomplish nothing.

3) Force anyone who taps into the network without access to spend 24 hours with me, with them only being allowed to ask one-sentence questions and then having to listen to my sermons in response. There's a test at the end.

There are people who pay good money for things like that. :)

Do they keep the same password for multiple games? If so, then that's an obvious and quick workaround - change the Wifi password for each game.

The maybe-overkill solution would be to have one username/password per person in the Suite set up, and a maximum of two or maybe three concurrent logins for each such username/password - that way someone who does give out a login does a limited amount of damage and yet folks who use, say, a laptop and an iPad side-by-side don't get screwed over. But that implies a lot of obvious administrative overhead in terms of assigning those usernames and passwords.

Personally, I just use my cellular plan. :) Never have had any troubles.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
I've not read the entire thread but this is something they should do, start using bar codes on their tickets so people can buy, sell and print tickets in their own home via stubhub...

Last edited by a moderator:

Arch City Zach

Jun 10, 2011
Columbus, OH
archcityarmy.com
Sortakindamaybe. iOS sandbox restrictions might render it impractical on that platform (I've never looked into whether or not Apple allows for that sort of thing. I suspect they don't.)

This could be the right way to handle it, or it could be thoroughly useless. If this password is being given to Social Suite folks in advance and they're sharing via Twitter or something, it's useful. If it's being given at the time and other folks are getting it by being told face-to-face, or being texted, or by sneaking in and reading it from documentation there, this would accomplish nothing.

There are people who pay good money for things like that. :)

Do they keep the same password for multiple games? If so, then that's an obvious and quick workaround - change the Wifi password for each game.

The maybe-overkill solution would be to have one username/password per person in the Suite set up, and a maximum of two or maybe three concurrent logins for each such username/password - that way someone who does give out a login does a limited amount of damage and yet folks who use, say, a laptop and an iPad side-by-side don't get screwed over. But that implies a lot of obvious administrative overhead in terms of assigning those usernames and passwords.

Personally, I just use my cellular plan. :) Never have had any troubles.

Could totally bring all that up on Thursday.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Totally agree with this guy

:handclap:
Speaking for the group who can't afford to be a STH and doesn't have the time (due to work schedule) to be a STH, please accept and say to the other STH a humble THANK YOU for your support. Your dedication goes unappreciated by many, but due to STH and those willing to pay PSL we have a team we can follow. Thank you. And that is no joke:)

I haven't been a STH since the first cuppla years, but I certainly appreciate their loyalty and value. :handclap::handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad