Good column on the Jackets season ticket holder dilemma

KeithBWhittington

Going North
Jun 14, 2003
Brick by Brick
Visit site
It does hurt the STHers... but as is the case, spending money on an experience that you are vastly overpaying for in the term of a season is a choice all these people have. The majority of STH that left this offseason probably left because the chances of the playoffs this season (New coaches, Same unproductive players) were very low before the season even started.

Someone posted in the interesting info thread a few weeks ago (Robert?) about Tampa giving STHers jerseys with a microchip in the sleeve and to take advantage of perks such as discounted food and merchandise, tickets to other events at the Forum, etc, the sth just had to swipe their sleeve over a scanner.... I think this is a great idea.

I've never been a STH of this team, but I am finding it hard to sympathize with those that pay for the tickets then want to complain because walk ups are getting similar treatment for sometimes only a quarter of the price.

plong123

Litebrite Stinger
Mar 3, 2008
I've never been a STH of this team, but I am finding it hard to sympathize with those that pay for the tickets then want to complain because walk ups are getting similar treatment for sometimes only a quarter of the price.

Why are you finding it hard to sympathize? Because you can't understand how dumb we are for buying season tickets? Yes, we're idiots for keeping the franchise afloat, jokes on us, though! Our tickets are worth less than half their value! Ha, ha, good joke! :rant:

KeithBWhittington

Going North
Jun 14, 2003
Brick by Brick
Visit site
Why are you finding it hard to sympathize? Because you can't understand how dumb we are for buying season tickets? Yes, we're idiots for keeping the franchise afloat, jokes on us, though! Our tickets are worth less than half their value! Ha, ha, good joke! :rant:

I sympathize that the franchise doesn't do enough for STHers. I sympathize that STHers receive what basically equates to a "minor league experience". I won't sympathize with someone that wants to complain about their underwhelming experience with the CBJ while still shelling out money for it.

I havent seen a game in person in three years, havent bought any team merchandise in the same amount of time... My financial investment in this team is practically zero (paying for basic cable to have FS Ohio). I'm glad there are people that will spend 5-10k a year on this experience, because it allows us to come on this board and complain as fan about the on ice product, but I'm not sympathizing with someone that wants to complain about their experiences but is all too willing to hand over another check for a similar experience next season when their rep calls them in a few weeks, asking them to renew. If you're unhappy, the choice is still ultimately yours.

I've distanced myself slightly from this team in the last few season and have found that its much easier to accept what is simply just a very poor product at this time.

Last edited:

joshjoshjosh

ಠ_ಠ
Feb 15, 2010
Guam
I sympathize with the STH, ticket prices need to level or go down for a 41 game package.. I don't have a control group (other franchises) to compare treatment, team access, and prices breaks, etc. But it's my opinion that the Blue Jackets could be doing more.

However, I'm not about to sharpen my pitchforks if a team that averages 10,000 on a weekday wants to grow some low lying fruit.

As for the secondary market that lands me $18 row A seats in 201-204 on a regular basis, winning will take care of that I think.

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio

Speaking for the group who can't afford to be a STH and doesn't have the time (due to work schedule) to be a STH, please accept and say to the other STH a humble THANK YOU for your support. Your dedication goes unappreciated by many, but due to STH and those willing to pay PSL we have a team we can follow. Thank you. And that is no joke:)

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
I sympathize with the STH, ticket prices need to level or go down for a 41 game package.. I don't have a control group (other franchises) to compare treatment, team access, and prices breaks, etc. But it's my opinion that the Blue Jackets could be doing more.

However, I'm not about to sharpen my pitchforks if a team that averages 10,000 on a weekday wants to grow some low lying fruit.

As for the secondary market that lands me $18 row A seats in 201-204 on a regular basis, winning will take care of that I think.

Actually, it's a 45 game package. STH pay full STH price for 4 pre-season games too.

The whole thing is a real dilemma, and I am a PSL holder/full season ticket buyer who spends about $10,000 per year on this team.

If I didn't buy season tickets and only bought single game tickets, I would never buy 45 games. Not only that but now I attend 35-40 games per year and usually give the others to friends. If I bought on the secondary market, I think I would go to most of the weekend games and a few weekday games. I suspect I might attend about 15 games per season. That's the real problem for any NHL or NBA team. Those weekday games and games against less attractive opponents would have almost no attendees, which guarantees the team leaves the market, either through a move of by folding. The Jackets should really look into this dilemma.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
I remember seasons 1-3, trying to buy lower bowl tickets from STH friends, that charged a little premium over face value for their seats when they were willing to sell. It was a hard ticket to come buy and often my wife and I would just pay ticketmaster roughly $80 a seat to get lower bowl seats. Now I can take my family of 4 for about $30 a ticket using stub hub to locate lower bowls tickets a few weeks in advance. One of my old STH friends recently gave his PSL's away because they wouldn't sell :shakehead

10 years of losing will take its toll.

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
I remember seasons 1-3, trying to buy lower bowl tickets from STH friends, that charged a little premium over face value for their seats when they were willing to sell. It was a hard ticket to come buy and often my wife and I would just pay ticketmaster roughly $80 a seat to get lower bowl seats. Now I can take my family of 4 for about $30 a ticket using stub hub to locate lower bowls tickets a few weeks in advance. One of my old STH friends recently gave his PSL's away because they wouldn't sell :shakehead

10 years of losing will take its toll.

And this is what upsets some of us about the lack of urgency of Howson. Here he is needing to upgrade the D, watching as most the defensman have already been traded, much like how he didnt do anything in FA when it was a well stocked defensive crop, and was left with scraps.

This team can ill afford to miss the playoffs, yet, we're waiting for the Malkin for Jake deal to pop up, which will never happen. He doesnt have the stomach to pay what it costs to upgrade at the trade deadline....which sadly, is looking like mostly just draft picks being traded.....what, we cant afford to get rid of a 2nd and 5th pick?! This mentality of 'we'll see how we're doing, and if we're doing well near the deadline, we'll add', which inevitably ends up as 'there were no trades that were right and we didnt want to make a bad deal for the sake of making a deal', is not a good strategy for this market

If we yet again miss the playoffs, what is their selling point next year...there's always next year?? Perks for things you will never use, arent perks, especially when they equate to coupons, certainly not enough to entice people to buy a psl and THEN season tickets. 10% off food.....great, that means its only 20% overpriced now

CBJ Tiffin

Jan 2, 2011
Speaking for the group who can't afford to be a STH and doesn't have the time (due to work schedule) to be a STH, please accept and say to the other STH a humble THANK YOU for your support. Your dedication goes unappreciated by many, but due to STH and those willing to pay PSL we have a team we can follow. Thank you. And that is no joke:)

Well said Fred! Thank you STHs!

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
And this is what upsets some of us about the lack of urgency of Howson. Here he is needing to upgrade the D, watching as most the defensman have already been traded, much like how he didnt do anything in FA when it was a well stocked defensive crop, and was left with scraps.

This team can ill afford to miss the playoffs, yet, we're waiting for the Malkin for Jake deal to pop up, which will never happen. He doesnt have the stomach to pay what it costs to upgrade at the trade deadline....which sadly, is looking like mostly just draft picks being traded.....what, we cant afford to get rid of a 2nd and 5th pick?! This mentality of 'we'll see how we're doing, and if we're doing well near the deadline, we'll add', which inevitably ends up as 'there were no trades that were right and we didnt want to make a bad deal for the sake of making a deal', is not a good strategy for this market

If we yet again miss the playoffs, what is their selling point next year...there's always next year?? Perks for things you will never use, arent perks, especially when they equate to coupons, certainly not enough to entice people to buy a psl and THEN season tickets. 10% off food.....great, that means its only 20% overpriced now

The biggest perq is priority access to playoff tickets. Probably the next is discount on prepaid concessions vouchers, then s 10 or 15% discount at the Blue Line.

JACKETfan

Real Blue Jacketfan
Mar 18, 2006
Tampa
The biggest perq is priority access to playoff tickets. Probably the next is discount on prepaid concessions vouchers, then s 10 or 15% discount at the Blue Line.

1. Playoff tickets are not THAT hard to get in this type of market.
2. The food and beer is overpriced.
3. The sales and pre/post season clearances negate the Blueline discounts.

Suggested Perks:
--Half Price STH Parking in the Ludlow Garage
--Drop the seat license fee

KeithBWhittington

Going North
Jun 14, 2003
Brick by Brick
Visit site
I'm sort of curious how you can come to this conclusion given your already stated "distance" from supporting the team in any way.

I highly doubt the Dispatch, Hockey Writers, etc. write these stories just to stir the pot. I doubt this article along with the countless others written about the poor experiences of STHers is just for kicks. Even someone like me, who doesn't regularly attend games, can find this out.

I think you've misunderstood my point above about distancing. I've distanced myself financially from this team. I still do watch some games, and I do have a dispatch subscription. I still read about the team and still come on here and voice an opinion, I just don't find the need to spend money on this product anymore, at least until things change.

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008

Suggested Perks:

Not true. I didn't have season tix that year and the pickings were very slim gfor both games. For the first game, I was able to get section 205 from ticketmaster and the second game stub hub. the second (home) game all that was left was section 113 in the TWC seats. I paid through the roof for the second game and was lucky to get the tickets. I bought these tickets as soon as they went on sale at 9:00 AM, so no not easy to get tix unless you are a STHer. Even in this market.:shakehead

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio

Suggested Perks:

OK, JF there's always the "town halls," free food night, the party at the zoo, a few con calls and "PSL holder appreciation day."

Of course, the STH don't always receive an invitation to all of them.

KeithBWhittington

Going North
Jun 14, 2003
Brick by Brick
Visit site
OK, JF there's always the "town halls," free food night, the party at the zoo, a few con calls and "PSL holder appreciation day."

Of course, the STH don't always receive an invitation to all of them.

I'd argue that with arena issue hanging over their heads, and one playoff appearance in 10 years, this franchises priorities as far as "discounted/guarenteed Playoff tix" and other current STH perks aren't helping STHers much. The arena is privately owned, how much say can the STHers really have on these conference calls and town hall meetings? Or rather, how much falls on deaf ears?

Discounted food, exclusive promotions, discounted parking, discounted merchandise, discounted tix to other events at the Nat.... All these would be more enticing, I would think, then "Guarenteed seats for potential playoff games"... Which also should be a given...

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
I'd argue that with arena issue hanging over their heads, and one playoff appearance in 10 years, this franchises priorities as far as "discounted/guarenteed Playoff tix" and other current STH perks aren't helping STHers much. The arena is privately owned, how much say can the STHers really have on these conference calls and town hall meetings? Or rather, how much falls on deaf ears?

Discounted food, exclusive promotions, discounted parking, discounted merchandise, discounted tix to other events at the Nat.... All these would be more enticing, I would think, then "Guarenteed seats for potential playoff games"... Which also should be a given...

Your sarcasm detector needs a tuneup.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Everyone has their own reasons for how they support the home team. I'm a STO because I like feeling "involved" with the team, having the choice of our seats, knowing which games I'm attending (with the 20-2-1 package), getting a few discounts, having a few "exclusive events" (Sunday's Arena gathering was fun and we really enjoyed the dressing room tour and seeing the view from the bench), and having first call on playoff tickets. Of those, seat location and "involvement" are probably most important to me. Not everyone values things in the same way and that's just fine and dandy with me.

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
If they were to tell me, 'we cant offer any perks because we're going to be aggressive at doing whatever necessary for this team to compete for the Stanley Cup', I would have no problem with that. I dont purchase food, beverages or merchandise at the arena because it is so marked up in the name of entertainment, so those perks dont do anything for me either. All I want is a team that is concerned about winning now AND in the future. Missing the playoffs should be a unacceptable failure to everyone in this organization. Howson seems more concerned about the future then the now, where as teams that content, expect to do both.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad