Confirmed with Link: Gonchar to the Rescue... as Defensemen Development Coach.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
This is great news. :handclap:

Jokes about Scuderi aside, Sarge might actually be able to help Letang be more effective on the PP.

Also, doesn't Sarge speak a couple languages beyond Russian and English? Could be especially helpful in terms of eastern European players making the jump to the NHL.

He doesn't speak stupid.

Seriously, Letang would be more efficient on the PP if he just wrist the pucks rather then full on wind up.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
These signings are always bleh. We don't know if he will be good as we never see the result from his development. The only constant is seeing ex-Pens and Mario's buddies take over positions that could probably be had by other people. Happens in the NFL and MLB, too.

I'm just skeptical because the Pens constantly just hire friends.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Yeah but some of the Pens' 'friends' could really help us, and I think Sarge may become one of them.

If he becomes the assistant coach in charge of defensemen and the power play, I'll be happy.

Hopefully, Johnston's replacement will also be happy to have Sarge. ;)

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
He doesn't speak stupid.

Seriously, Letang would be more efficient on the PP if he just wrist the pucks rather then full on wind up.

That's probably one of Letang's biggest issues on the powerplay, IMO. That stupid double/triple clutch thing he does on nearly every. Single. Shot.

Like you said... if he'd just flick a quick screened wrister towards the net... that's going to be the better play 9/10 times. Especially with Hornqvist in front. It's like he thinks he has to get absolutely everything on every shot on the powerplay. One thing that made Gonchar truly great on the powerplay was that ability simply to get shots through.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Also, doesn't Sarge speak a couple languages beyond Russian and English? Could be especially helpful in terms of eastern European players making the jump to the NHL.

Most of us do around these parts. But he'll be especially useful as a scout in the Baltic area and for KHL teams.

I like the recent focus on Central/Eastern Europe for obvious reasons.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
That's probably one of Letang's biggest issues on the powerplay, IMO. That stupid double/triple clutch thing he does on nearly every. Single. Shot.

Like you said... if he'd just flick a quick screened wrister towards the net... that's going to be the better play 9/10 times. Especially with Hornqvist in front. It's like he thinks he has to get absolutely everything on every shot on the powerplay. One thing that made Gonchar truly great on the powerplay was that ability simply to get shots through.

Well, I think I'd argue that during Gonchar's tenure here he had probably the second best, if not the best slap shot on the team. Something Letang doesn't really use or have.

I like how Letang is always the goat on the power play. I'd argue if they actually ran the power play through Letang you'd see a hell of a lot more performances like that five assist effort in Winnipeg, versus letting Crosby continually try to do cross ice passes to set up Phil Kessel for slap shots.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I know you're a big Letang fan. I am, too. He's as dynamic as a defenseman as you'll find, league-wide and regardless of what some are saying now... a big reason this offense CAN click. But I wouldn't want to run a powerplay through him. I believe he could be a contributing element to a powerplay (as he has in the past) as can Crosby... were it drawn up and executed correctly. But I wouldn't ideally want either one of them being the guy to run it. That should either be Kessel or Malkin, presently.

But that isn't to say Letang doesn't have the raw ability to do it. Ability has never, ever been the problem with Letang. I think despite some of the "dumb" commentary... he simply overthinks things sometimes... particularly in a "set" situation like the powerplay.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I still don't get why we didn't scout here for YEARS. Hopefully, Plotnikov, Simon, and Uher will help people realize you can find decent, non-Malkin hockey players in Europe again.

But can they Get To Their Gameâ„¢ over there in Commie-land?

I think not.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Most of us do around these parts. But he'll be especially useful as a scout in the Baltic area and for KHL teams.

I like the recent focus on Central/Eastern Europe for obvious reasons.

This is your time to shine, I've always considered you the Jiri Dopita of this fan base.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Put Gonchar / Letang on the practice rink, lock the door, and throw away the key... then perhaps Letang might know how to actually deliver a pass on the PP. The guy is just horrible at passing.

Big fan of this move though. Gonchar was a great Penguin and I think he can teach a lot to these young guys..

Last edited:

Phil68

Jun 13, 2009
Gonchar also helped Subban... Hmmm maybe just maybe he can do wonders for Letang, Maatta and Pouliot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad