Confirmed with Link: Gonchar to the Rescue... as Defensemen Development Coach.

gdsmack267

Sep 11, 2010
Rochester, NY
I like the move a lot. Gives him a chance to really help some of the young guys now that hes not trying to compete with them for a roster spot.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I think most of us assumed it was coming in one form or another.

I guess it's nice to have a guy like Gonchar remain in and around the organization. It's gonna be awfully tough to find much bad to say about the guy as a player or as a person. Hopefully it translates into teaching and coaching... and scouting, evidently.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
Yeah, the only way this wasn't coming is if he got a last gasp contract in the KHL (assuming they could actually, ya know, pay him)

No idea what to expect from him as a coach but to echo Mr. McHurt, can't imagine anyone has anything bad to say about the guy personality wise. By all accounts, he's been a pseudo on ice coach for the last however many years anyway.

If only he can teach Pooh that power play qb super-composed backward blue line walk, this will have been worthwhile.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
If only he can teach Pooh that power play qb super-composed backward blue line walk, this will have been worthwhile.

Words cannot really describe how much I miss this.

Oh... and his ability to, you know... set up a one-timer more than once every two seasons.

He's taking Rob Scuderi under his wing.

Before you know it... he'll be banking those pucks off the glass and OUT!

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
Whenever I watch Rob Scuderi skate, I immediately think of Sergei Gonchar....drunk after that unfortunate bear trap 'incident' out near Chelyabinsk.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Sure, but it feels like we find positions for everybody. Like next we're gonna hire Max Talbot as Senior Facial Hair Consultant / Director of Beard Development.

I'm just quoting this because it's ****ing terrific.

Whenever I watch Rob Scuderi skate, I immediately think of Sergei Gonchar....drunk after that unfortunate bear trap 'incident' out near Chelyabinsk.

I heard Marty Straka was there.

ibar726

Aug 6, 2013
May as well just announce that Craig Adams will be our next head coach.
Coach_Craig_Adams_v1.jpg

HandshakeLine said:
Sure, but it feels like we find positions for everybody. Like next we're gonna hire Max Talbot as Senior Facial Hair Consultant / Director of Beard Development.
I would not be opposed to this. Some of Sid's playoff beards have been rather atrocious.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Heh, I saw Straka play here in his retirement year. I'm not gonna lie, I rooted for Plzeň just for Marty.

Absolutely one of my all-time favorite Penguins... as oddball as that might sound to some. I got into the sport/team in the 90s, though... so I guess it isn't completely out of left field.

The guy had an incredible motor. AND ability. Great underdog story, too.

He was basically ACTUALLY what the team desperately tries to paint Pascal Dupuis as.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

Yeah, but I think this team needs someone to teach its young defenders much more, than someone to develop players' beards. On the other hand, if you mean the playoffs beards...

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
This is great news. :handclap:

Jokes about Scuderi aside, Sarge might actually be able to help Letang be more effective on the PP.

Also, doesn't Sarge speak a couple languages beyond Russian and English? Could be especially helpful in terms of eastern European players making the jump to the NHL.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I like the move, but is there any club in the NHL who hires alumni at the rate we do? Yeesh.

Wings are pretty close. Draper, Fischer, Chelios, Maltby, Howe and formerly Yzerman all have roles in hockey ops. Osgood, who's also on the broadcast, has something to do with the team, but I'm not exactly sure what.

Compared to Guerin, Tocchet, Recchi, Gonchar, EJ, Young and Meloche (if he's even still with us).

Cronyism sure, but it's not unprecedented in the sport.

Edit: Er, checked the Flyers.

Lemme take a deep breath

Holmgren
Hextall
Clarke
Murphy
Mullen
Laperriere
Dave Brown
Nittymakki
Bill Barber
Kjell Samuelsson
Brad Marsh
Bob Kelly
Bernie Parent
Chris Therien
The entire broadcast apparatus, which is first party, unlike the Wings and Pens TV

and Berube still does something for them, but he's not listed on the site. I probably missed a few, as well. Cote definitely works for them, but his name isn't on the site either.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
And like Jagr he went back and bought the team that gave him his start in hockey. I respect that. I've got a Straka jersey (and my unfortunate Milan Kraft jersey) to show my love.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Yeah, but I think this team needs someone to teach its young defenders much more, than someone to develop players' beards. On the other hand, if you mean the playoffs beards...

No, I mean everything I say all the time. WE. NEED. BETTER. FACIAL. HAIR.

tumblr_mwlig5Avel1si06gdo1_400.jpg

Check. Mate.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Wings are pretty close. Draper, Fischer, Chelios, Maltby, Howe and formerly Yzerman all have roles in hockey ops. Osgood, who's also on the broadcast, has something to do with the team, but I'm not exactly sure what.

Compared to Guerin, Tocchet, Recchi, Gonchar, EJ, Young and Meloche (if he's even still with us).

Cronyism sure, but it's not unprecedented in the sport.

Edit: Er, checked the Flyers.

Lemme take a deep breath

Holmgren
Hextall
Clarke
Murphy
Mullen
Laperriere
Dave Brown
Nittymakki
Bill Barber
Kjell Samuelsson
Brad Marsh
Bob Kelly
Bernie Parent
Chris Therien
The entire broadcast apparatus, which is first party, unlike the Wings and Pens TV

and Berube still does something for them, but he's not listed on the site

WOW. I stand corrected. Apparently we're behind the curve.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad