Confirmed with Link: Gonchar to the Rescue... as Defensemen Development Coach.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Damn. Yeah... I had not idea. That level of cronyism is downright impressive.

Who can argue, though... what with all that success they've enjoyed.

flaneur

Jul 17, 2013
i like it.

gonchar seems to be well liked and respected by the players and he has already been essentially used as mentor/coach for the past few seasons.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Potash is that guy who always shows up at parties even though no one knows who invited him.

"Kill the lights, it's Daaaaaan."

"****, he's seen us. Goddamn it."

"Hey guys, I heard about the party. I brought combos and a case of Sunny D!"

"Thanks Daaaaaan. (Who ****ing invited him? Not me. Must have been one of the ****ing rookies.)"

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Wings are pretty close. Draper, Fischer, Chelios, Maltby, Howe and formerly Yzerman all have roles in hockey ops. Osgood, who's also on the broadcast, has something to do with the team, but I'm not exactly sure what.

Compared to Guerin, Tocchet, Recchi, Gonchar, EJ, Young and Meloche (if he's even still with us).

Cronyism sure, but it's not unprecedented in the sport.

Edit: Er, checked the Flyers.

Lemme take a deep breath

Holmgren
Hextall
Clarke
Murphy
Mullen
Laperriere
Dave Brown
Nittymakki
Bill Barber
Kjell Samuelsson
Brad Marsh
Bob Kelly
Bernie Parent
Chris Therien
The entire broadcast apparatus, which is first party, unlike the Wings and Pens TV

and Berube still does something for them, but he's not listed on the site. I probably missed a few, as well. Cote definitely works for them, but his name isn't on the site either.

They hired Danny Briere in some capacity too

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I like the move, but is there any club in the NHL who hires alumni at the rate we do? Yeesh.

I think so.

Just glanced at a few teams around the league, the Red Wings employ Jiri Fischer, Draper, Chelios & Maltby in some front office capacity. The Avs have Brett Clark, Roy, Sakic, Foote, Brian Willsie, Billington. It's pretty common.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I'd be more excited about this if Gonch had a say in which defensemen actually played. Or maybe not since he could be boys with Scuds. Ah whatever, it's cool I guess.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Project #1, Kris Letang and PPQB 101

Yep. Project #2, make Pouliot as good offensively as people are praying he'll be in order to cover up for his defensive liability.

I figured we'd hire him when he came back this summer. Didn't think there was a chance in Hell he'd make the team, but I knew for sure he'd be hired as some kind of PP/defensive coach.

Great move. Couldn't ask for a better mentor for guys like Letang, Maatta, Dumoulin, Pouliot and Desp--err, scratch that last one. ;)

sf expat71

Nov 10, 2008
Atlantic Ocean
Yep. Project #2, make Pouliot as good offensively as people are praying he'll be in order to cover up for his defensive liability.

I figured we'd hire him when he came back this summer. Didn't think there was a chance in Hell he'd make the team, but I knew for sure he'd be hired as some kind of PP/defensive coach.

Great move. Couldn't ask for a better mentor for guys like Letang, Maatta, Dumoulin, Pouliot and Desp--err, scratch that last one. ;)

You underestimate this team.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Project #3 is a vulcan mind meld with that dip**** Tocchet.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh

that's the way to hold down the fort....make ic proud! if we can just hold on long enough, he'll get over it and come back. it will take some time, but he's young, and I have faith. :)

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I agree with the consensus that Gonchar basically needs to shuttle back and fourth between WB/S and Pittsburgh spending his time exclusively with Pouliot and Letang for the next little while. Maybe some 1-on-1 time with Dumoulin as well.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I agree with the consensus that Gonchar basically needs to shuttle back and fourth between WB/S and Pittsburgh spending his time exclusively with Pouliot and Letang for the next little while. Maybe some 1-on-1 time with Dumoulin as well.

I'm sure that will be the plan when he's not scouting.

But, let's not pretend that the odds are high for Gonchar doing much to help Letang. You can't teach smart.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad