OT: Golf Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
I never bragged about my round at Torrey last week...it was pretty awesome! I had a 7:30am tee time and arrived around 6:45. When I got there, the placed was completely covered in the marine layer. I thought for sure I'd be playing without being able to see a single shot. The guy in the shop said the sun was out earlier and the marine layer should be burning off soon. He also mentioned that the pins for the day were in the same place as they were on Sunday at the US Open.

Got to the first tee and the marine layer was burning off and it was turning into a beautiful morning. Got paired up with another single who was visiting his parents from San Fran, found out he lived in Philly for a year, and two brother-in-laws who were on vacation from Minnesota. Got lucky as a it was a great group. The front 9 was full of everything but a par, seriously. I bogeyed the first two holes and then followed that up with a birdie on the signature par 3 looking out over the Pacific. Hole was playing about 135, into a little breeze. Hit a 9 iron to about 12 feet and sank the putt. Followed that up with two more bogeys and then another birdie on the par 5 6th. Doubled the 7th, bogeyed the 8th and then did something I've done only once before, I eagled the par 5, 9th. Hit a beautiful drive, dead center in the fairway. Had 240 in, slightly downhill, downwind. Hit a hybrid to 6 feet and drained the putt for eagle. What an awesome feeling that was. Ended up shooting a 38 on the front.

Started the back 9 out with two bogeys and then finally made my first part of the day on the 12th hole. Made another par on 13 and then bogeyed the next 4 holes before making par on the par 5, 18th. Shot a 42 on the back for an 80. I figured the guy was just blowing smoke and telling people what they want to hear when he mentioned the pins being in the same position as Sunday at the US Open, but he wasn't kidding. These pins were tucked in some crazy spots. A lot of front pins tucked over bunkers or pins tucked in the back corner.

It was a pretty awesome experience that'll I remember for a long time.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
PXL_20210802_140031061.jpg
PXL_20210802_141350510.jpg

Tee shot into the par 3 which lead to bird
PXL_20210802_151027530.jpg
PXL_20210802_153552760.jpg

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Crazy playoff at the Wyndham. Should have been 7 guys, but Henley missed a 4 footer on 18 to join the other 6.

First playoff hole is 18. Only Scott and Sloan hit the green, Scott at 4 feet, Sloan at 15. Everyone pars, leaving Scott an easy birdie for the win. He misses.

They go back to 18 again. 4 on the green this time, Kisner within 4 feet. He almost holed out from short of the green for birdie on the first playoff hole.

And Kisner finishes it off.

Last edited:

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Another 80 today. I've shot between 80 and 83 on 15/17 18 hole rounds this year. With one 77 and one 104 on a day with gale force winds.

On one had being consistent is nice, on the other plateauing f***ing sucks.

Edit. Actually I think I had a 90 something for my first round of the year. But I never count the first round in my stats because my off season is like 7.5 months long and we start the year on train wreck temporary greens haha.

Last edited:

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Another 80 today. I've shot between 80 and 83 on 15/17 18 hole rounds this year. With one 77 and one 104 on a day with gale force winds.

Edit. Actually I think I had a 90 something for my first round of the year. But I never count the first round in my stats because my off season is like 7.5 months long and we start the year on train wreck temporary greens haha.

I have been playing like garbage lately. I shot a 92 last time I played I haven’t shot in the 90ies in at least a year. I haven’t played a lot of golf lately tho. I played a lot more last year.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004

I hear ya man, I’m starting to get angry. I know i have a 72-74 in me , but just end up with the same damn score every round.
upload_2021-8-23_19-48-59.png

Reactions: VladDrag

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
I hear ya man, I’m starting to get angry. I know i have a 72-74 in me , but just end up with the same damn score every round.
View attachment 462235

What drives me insane too is that I basically make the same handful of mistakes that make the difference every time.

Usually one bad drive that adds to extra strokes. 1 misread that leads to a 3 putt. One green where I catch a flyer and sail a green that turns into 2 or 3 extra strokes. One medicore chip per round where I leave it on the wrong tier which leads to a 3 putt.

Its like clockwork. Those 7 or 8 extra strokes every time. And its usually 3 or 4 shots that let me down, and half the time they aren't even bad shots, just missing at the wrong time in the wrong place.

I know what I really need to do is tighten everything up by just a few percent so I can start getting more birdies and give myself more wiggle room for those little mistakes. But it just feels like I have maxed out my ability and won't ever quiet get there.

Drives a guy nuts.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
My biggest struggle has always been short putts. But right now, and I know this will sound so stupid , I am hitting my drives too straight lol. I have a very consistent baby fade so I aim down the right, but right now I’m getting In Trouble for hitting my tee shots into right rough or bush.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
My biggest struggle has always been short putts. But right now, and I know this will sound so stupid , I am hitting my drives too straight lol. I have a very consistent baby fade so I aim down the right, but right now I’m getting In Trouble for hitting my tee shots into right rough or bush.

Your problem is you are a dirty lefty.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
It's stupid that this man has a hole in 1 and I don't...and neither do any of my usual 3 golfing partners. And we have been playing for 30+ years each.

Also...what shit video....lol

It truly is the greatest feeling, it is impossible to describe.

Even the 2nd one :)

Reactions: Cody Webster

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
I would love to get out and butcher a course..have only been twice..once when I had to go as "homework" for a golf class in college..and once again after..that was years ago so I am sure I would be brutal

Reactions: Young Sandwich

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
I would love to get out and butcher a course..have only been twice..once when I had to go as "homework" for a golf class in college..and once again after..that was years ago so I am sure I would be brutal
You took a golf class in college and still have only been on a course twice in your life? That's absurd man.

Hit up a range and see how you feel before diving head first into the deep end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad