OT: Golf 2.0

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
St.Charles would be #1 , Niakiwa has nice facilities but i don't think the actual course is a whole bunch better than St.B . Southwood is ok but i would put Elmhurst and Pine Ridge ahead of them. Playing the Ridge today so I'll let you know. :thumbu:
I haven't played St.Chuck but it looks really nice. Maybe next year. Agree on Niakwa, layout does nothing for me, but it's in great condition. Been member at both Pine Ridge and Southwood and can't decide which I prefer. If you're a member, having challenging greens is a plus. but I am really fond of both courses.

If you're wild off the tee, Pine Ridge is probably best, because once you know the course, you can defend against your miss (ie miss in the right spots) and usually advance your ball decently on the second shot. The course is all about the approach shot because the greens a dastardly.

Southwood's layout is fantastic. Just looks like a golf course. The greens can take a beating from the wind and the heat, but the structures are generally very well designed.

Elmhurst does nothing for me. Similar to Niakwa, but not as good. might as well start talking about Breezy and Glendale if we're going to talk about Elmhurst.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
Southside today and larters Sunday which will probably be last round of the year. Did larters last week for first time, nice looking course.

After golf once or twice a year, if that, in the last 20!years, I'll probably end with about 20 rounds this year. Still terrible but going out and just playing consistently the last 4-6 weeks really helped. I'm going to keep at it over the winter if I can find time. I have 5 lessons left at golftec that I'll use.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I haven't played in 5 weeks, damn life getting in the way!

That sucks... especially if you live below 40 deg Latitude...

Comes with the territory in Winnipeg...

It's Hockey, Curling, Irish Whiskey and Beer season... it's always beer season...

Will begin practicing again at Golftec in the New Year...

Words of advice... make time....

:thumbu:

Last edited:

R Zardo

Oct 4, 2022
The nicest course in MB for me is St.Charles. Only played once but it was in immaculate shape.

Three favorite places to play in the province are Elmhurst PRidge and Falcon.

Favorite course in the city is Rossmere.

Niakawa and Pinawa are the two I've never had a chance at.

Reactions: Jets 31

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Bump from the depths...

Looking at getting a couple of new wedges since two in my bag are probably >15 years old.

My first inclination is to order a couple of Vokeys online. As a leftie the selection out there to look at in real life is generally pretty poor. I play Titleist irons.

I know a couple of folks on here have SM8s or another version in the black. I'm wondering how it holds up? I'm torn between that color and the brushed steel. My regular irons are chrome, so they'd stick out regardless in the bag, but that's not a bad thing to me.

With some luck, on the course in three months, with last year's luck, five.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Bump from the depths...

Looking at getting a couple of new wedges since two in my bag are probably >15 years old.

My first inclination is to order a couple of Vokeys online. As a leftie the selection out there to look at in real life is generally pretty poor. I play Titleist irons.

I know a couple of folks on here have SM8s or another version in the black. I'm wondering how it holds up? I'm torn between that color and the brushed steel. My regular irons are chrome, so they'd stick out regardless in the bag, but that's not a bad thing to me.

Colwyn Abrigall at Golftec fitted me with Mizuno JPX 921's, a full set including a Gap Wedge, has lots of bounce so I will use as a sand wedge as well. You have seen my play with my Mizuno's... great irons...

The one specialty wedge he highly recommended and I purchased was a 56 degree "milled face" wedge from Taylor made...

Wedge 1.jpg

Wedge 2.jpg

The idea of the face is to let it corrode... I couldn't stand to let it corrode all winter, so it's clean... the idea is the face becomes more textured and ball will stick/get spin out of bad lies...

The Hi-Toe gives you more effective club space/ sweet-spot, so if you are in a so so lie in moderate rough this thing is killer... I always get contact that is effective... even higher up on the face.

The not overly big bounce makes it effective in tight lies as well. Love the thing...

I really need this club at Carman Golf Club my 2nd Membership (along with Southwood)... lot's of tight lies... Rob Hamm our greenskeeper wants people to play golf, therefore always rough outside the fairways...and because the old side has lots of big trees which suck up the moisture, lots of tight lies as well...this club is indispensable

We will have to get you out to Carman this summer Buggs... I need to learn more colorful words... :thumbu:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Bump from the depths...

I have the black SM8 Vokey wedges and play alot of golf and they still look new, especially in the middle of the club face. :laugh: I would definitely say they are very good clubs.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I have the black SM8 Vokey wedges and play alot of golf and they still look new, especially in the middle of the club face. :laugh: I would definitely say they are very good clubs.
I guess God must be reading these forums, and felt guilty for giving us such a bad winter last year and cutting @Jets 31 golf season short, so he decided to make amends, and give us a cream puff of a winter so far. Hope it continues.

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I guess God must be reading these forums, and felt guilty for giving us such a bad winter last year and cutting @Jets 31 golf season short, so he decided to make amends, and give us a cream puff of a winter so far. Hope it continues.
So far yes this winter has been great compared to last year. Here's hoping our golf season starts in April instead of May 7th like last year.

Reactions: GNP

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
This needed a bump... in spite of what it's like outside...

We are getting closer...

:laugh:

Yup getting the golf itch now for sure, hopefully we don't get anymore snow and what we have will melt quite fast especially compared to last year. As I've told the boys a few times over the winter i can't wait until golf season starts because i can really use the money.:naughty::laugh:

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Are you warming up at Golftec this winter?
Yes.

Fully recovered from my Cancer treatments and cancer free. Set up a 3 month practice & 2 lessons package with Colwyn Abrigall. One lesson and 1/2 way through so far.

Working on use of ground force to aid proper hip clearance/leading and containing/slowing take away for consistency in contact aka getting out of my own way. Promising so far.

👍

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
How is the masters going? I watched for about 40 minutes on Friday and really enjoyed it. I will try to tune in but we have my nieces B Day party at 1-5 so I might need to sharpen up the PVR.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
How is the masters going? I watched for about 40 minutes on Friday and really enjoyed it. I will try to tune in but we have my nieces B Day party at 1-5 so I might need to sharpen up the PVR.
Koepka is in a different league so far
He has 30 holes to play today weather permitting.
The pin placement later today will be the difference.
Mind you his lead is so large it’s unlikely anyone would catch him although the Jets say hold my beer.

Last edited:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Koepka is in a different league so far
He has 30 holes to play
The pin placement later today will be the difference

Ok I am living under a rock.

Why the hell does he still have 30 holes to play on Sunday?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad