OT: Golf 2.0

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Got back into town late afternoon... went straight to Southwood...

20 minutes of a west, in your face wind - cool...

Then the wind died down and the sun was soothing...

Got an hour of solid drill 1/2 shots in... felt so good and is giving confidence...

Didn't touch any other club other than the 7 iron... 1/2 shots... then some full on... then some 1/4's here and there...

And when I felt I had it down... I hit a 5 iron... then a 1 iron... then then a PW' ... then the 3... then the Driver...

Were they perfect...? No but they would've been in play, crisp, penetrating...

I only hit a few of each of the... 5, 1, PW, 3, and Driver...

Mission accomplished for today... I hit those clubs in a small sample size... and that's good enough for Me...

24111dbf04530730f9f69170a9dcba4f.gif

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Got back into town late afternoon... went straight to Southwood...

20 minutes of a west, in your face wind - cool...

Then the wind died down and the sun was soothing...

Got an hour of solid drill 1/2 shots in... felt so good and is giving confidence...

Didn't touch any other club other than the 7 iron... 1/2 shots... then some full on... then some 1/4's here and there...

And when I felt I had it down... I hit a 5 iron... then a 1 iron... then then a PW' ... then the 3... then the Driver...

Were they perfect...? No but they would've been in play, crisp, penetrating...

I only hit a few of each of the... 5, 1, PW, 3, and Driver...

Mission accomplished for today... I hit those clubs in a small sample size... and that's good enough for Me...

24111dbf04530730f9f69170a9dcba4f.gif
My man, a 1 iron?? You crazy haha.

Reactions: Jets 31

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Took a few minutes out after practicing at Southwood...

Had a couple Copper Ale's...

It was nice to see the Jets taking a day off in what has to be a grinding schedule...

Chef, Copper and who I think was Purr'Oh (masks) getting a take home lunch in the clubhouse after a round...

Then a very tall man came in... a Tree... with someone smaller with a mask on...

It's in My nature to give space... so did not care to ID the other... most everyone is small next to Logan Stanley...

A beautiful day off before the grind gets going again...

Go Jets Go...

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Took a few minutes out after practicing at Southwood...

Had a couple Copper Ale's...

It was nice to see the Jets taking a day off in what has to be a grinding schedule...

Chef, Copper and who I think was Purr'Oh (masks) getting a take home lunch in the clubhouse after a round...

Then a very tall man came in... a Tree... with someone smaller with a mask on...

It's in My nature to give space... so did not care to ID the other... most everyone is small next to Logan Stanley...

A beautiful day off before the grind gets going again...

Go Jets Go...

Great story John!

Something great about having a beer or two and just enjoying the moment being outside on a beautiful day in April.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Southwood open with temp greens. I’ll stick to the range, I hate temp greens. If I played at Niakwa and they had a temp green for 3 freaking years, I’d want a rebate of some sort. That’s bush league.

Reactions: GNP and Jets 31

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Southwood open with temp greens. I’ll stick to the range, I hate temp greens. If I played at Niakwa and they had a temp green for 3 freaking years, I’d want a rebate of some sort. That’s bush league.

Southwood is run like a business to the core...

You are right...

Drives Me nuts actually witnessing it... when a golf course is a community and park at it's best...

It was still a beautiful day... and I can be happy for others as well... that's what matters to Me...

Reactions: ps241 and Jets 31

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
You'll like this then, buddy just told me they are blowing another green up this year. :confused: They will play a old par 3 instead, the hole that's getting blown up is a par 4 so now they are a par 71 for the year. Was told we will have 2 temps to start just because the 2 greens are new last year and they want to baby them for a little while. I can handle 2 temps for a week or 2 though.

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

I noticed you mentioned Niakwa's share fee, and transfer costs in one of your posts. I remember about 30 years ago when my friend joined, and is still a member, and he told me it was about $ 10 - $ 15,000 dollars. So, I would think today, it would be around $ 35,000 to $ 40,000. Big bucks if you ask me, especially if you don't golf every second day. I could be out on this figure, but it will be "very high."

I think Niakwa's target market is the very wealthy, and they seem to have done a good job over the years at attracting that market. A lot of business people join there, just for the connections.

I can see Jets 31 is no fan of all their policies :laugh:
Transfer fee isn't that much but between the transfer fee and the share you are looking at 10,000 then 5,000 a year for dues, way too rich for this Dude especially considering we can't play year round.

Reactions: GNP

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
St.B is in great shape, shorts and no jacket by the 8th hole, just beauty weather. Shot 87, meh . Can't wait to get my new clubs, that will make everything better. :laugh:

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Swung the sticks at Tuxedo yesterday. Nothing pretty, but probably overall better than they'll swing the rest of the year. :laugh:

Appreciate all the membership info on the thread as I'm looking at joining a club in the next year or two. Was always thinking Niakwa, but now I'm rethinking it. Southwood was in the mix always as well. Mostly I need to figure out where I'll be living I think as I won't be in Whyte Debt, er, Ridge when I retire.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Swung the sticks at Tuxedo yesterday. Nothing pretty, but probably overall better than they'll swing the rest of the year. :laugh:

Appreciate all the membership info on the thread as I'm looking at joining a club in the next year or two. Was always thinking Niakwa, but now I'm rethinking it. Southwood was in the mix always as well. Mostly I need to figure out where I'll be living I think as I won't be in Whyte Debt, er, Ridge when I retire.

I am a Social Member at Southwood... I joined to re-enter the game and practice intensely last year and this year... I will continue to carry this membership... this is a huge benefit in any membership to Me...

Southwood's plus's... membership is extremely friendly, personable, very relaxed and mature.... food is good, is very reasonably priced and service is good... the clubhouse is being upgraded, will see how that works out...

I have not played Southwood that much... I have no complaints about it... I actually feel it has forced Me to work hard on My mechanics as wind is always in play...

As for some of the comments here on HFJets that are negative... and I stated the management/ directors can be a little too business oriented with some decisions, it really isn't a deal breaker for Me as I have enjoyed My experience there and continue to... the temp greens are a necessity given the openness in winter and very dry winter... the other courses are more sheltered so are healthier as a result... they are not being bush league... only early April... lots of time for high quality greens to be in play...

If you are on the South side of Winnipeg in the future I would be positive on it...

I am a shareholder and member at Carman... worked and lived there when I was Support Services Director for the Healthcare District... maintained my share for 18 years in the hopes I would be back playing... really looking forward to doing 2 to 3 rounds a week... Carman is a sweet course... and I have been gone but people have remembered Me and that is nice in this day and age...

Depending on where you are living in Winnipeg you might look outside the city regarding memberships...

Speaking of Tuxedo... as a young punk with dumb friends we packed a bunch of beer on the course and got stupid... played the round requiring everyone to hit their drives off a beer bottle with an old putter... a guy behind us was teaching his wife how to play golf... I think he resented how cavalier we were with the round... we didn't break any bottles or break any rules nor slow him down... personally I think it grinded him that a good number of our drives were better than his... he got mad and told us to stop, so we did... they disappeared when we pulled out the "proper" clubs as we pulled ahead pretty quickly with that adjustment... silly things we did to challenge ourselves and throw a curve into the game... I wouldn't think of doing anything like that now... but it was fun just the same...

Good luck in your search for a club buggs' ...

Reactions: ps241 and Jets 31

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

It depends on so many things, do you care about price? or are you a true Winnipeg'er and you want bang for your buck. :laugh: I care about the golf course first and price, St.B is great for that. Also are you joining with friends or by yourself? Some clubs aren't that friendly if you are a single and want to join their group. Do you like a wide open course or a tree-lined course or a little of both? Lots of questions to answer but the main thing is you want to look forward to going not, shit i gotta go again. :laugh:
Good Luck in your decision making.:thumbu:

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I am a Social Member at Southwood... I joined to re-enter the game and practice intensely last year and this year... I will continue to carry this membership... this is a huge benefit in any membership to Me...

Southwood's plus's... membership is extremely friendly, personable, very relaxed and mature.... food is good, is very reasonably priced and service is good... the clubhouse is being upgraded, will see how that works out...

I have not played Southwood that much... I have no complaints about it... I actually feel it has forced Me to work hard on My mechanics as wind is always in play...

As for some of the comments here on HFJets that are negative... and I stated the management/ directors can be a little too business oriented with some decisions, it really isn't a deal breaker for Me as I have enjoyed My experience there and continue to... the temp greens are a necessity given the openness in winter and very dry winter... the other courses are more sheltered so are healthier as a result... they are not being bush league... only early April... lots of time for high quality greens to be in play...

If you are on the South side of Winnipeg in the future I would be positive on it...

I am a shareholder and member at Carman... worked and lived there when I was Support Services Director for the Healthcare District... maintained my share for 18 years in the hopes I would be back playing... really looking forward to doing 2 to 3 rounds a week... Carman is a sweet course... and I have been gone but people have remembered Me and that is nice in this day and age...

Depending on where you are living in Winnipeg you might look outside the city regarding memberships...

Speaking of Tuxedo... as a young punk with dumb friends we packed a bunch of beer on the course and got stupid... played the round requiring everyone to hit their drives off a beer bottle with an old putter... a guy behind us was teaching his wife how to play golf... I think he resented how cavalier we were with the round... we didn't break any bottles or break any rules nor slow him down... personally I think it grinded him that a good number of our drives were better than his... he got mad and told us to stop, so we did... they disappeared when we pulled out the "proper" clubs as we pulled ahead pretty quickly with that adjustment... silly things we did to challenge ourselves and throw a curve into the game... I wouldn't think of doing anything like that now... but it was fun just the same...

John I know you mentioned the details about the social membership at Southwood but what is that again and what’s the cost? I know it was access to the driving range, club house?

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
St.B is in great shape, shorts and no jacket by the 8th hole, just beauty weather. Shot 87, meh . Can't wait to get my new clubs, that will make everything better. :laugh:

I'm just waiting for @Jets 31 to get his new clubs, so he can take pictures of those gloss black Titleist heads on the woods, and the beautiful set of irons. I'm waiting to see them. All in black -- must be nice. :nod:

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
John I know you mentioned the details about the social membership at Southwood but what is that again and what’s the cost? I know it was access to the driving range, club house?

$945 for the Social Membership. Range and Clubhouse access. Up to 6 rounds at an additional fee. You must use services, dining & Pro Shop up to around $350 per year - piece of cake literally.

Reactions: ps241 and GNP

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
$945 for the Social Membership. Range and Clubhouse access. Up to 6 rounds at an additional fee. You must use services, dining & Pro Shop up to around $350 per year - piece of cake literally.

Perfect. Thanks so much. So based on my mind numbing usage basically the same membership I had at Niakwa for 20% of the cost.

What a great concept. Good money maker for the course too because you drive usage to the range and food service facilities and keep it off the course.

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

I'm just waiting for @Jets 31 to get his new clubs, so he can take pictures of those gloss black Titleist heads on the woods, and the beautiful set of irons. I'm waiting to see them. All in black -- must be nice. :nod:
Dude i saw the car you bought, not even in the same ballpark as my clubs. :laugh:

Reactions: John Agar and GNP

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat

Worked in Carman for 14 years, I know the course well.

The problem for me is I'm not sure where I'm going to be living in about five years (retirement) so I'm not sure where to join. We likely won't stay in the house we're in as there's no need for anything this big. I'm likely to stay on the south side of the city, which makes the north side less appealing. But then again we may opt to move right out of the city altogether. And it will depend who I can get to join with me at the time. None of the guys I golf with regularly are members anywhere (a bunch of us work in ag, so we tend to play rural courses as our travels allow).

Appreciate everyone's input.

Reactions: John Agar

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Worked in Carman for 14 years, I know the course well.

The problem for me is I'm not sure where I'm going to be living in about five years (retirement) so I'm not sure where to join. We likely won't stay in the house we're in as there's no need for anything this big. I'm likely to stay on the south side of the city, which makes the north side less appealing. But then again we may opt to move right out of the city altogether. And it will depend who I can get to join with me at the time. None of the guys I golf with regularly are members anywhere (a bunch of us work in ag, so we tend to play rural courses as our travels allow).

Appreciate everyone's input.

Buggs Are you thinking of becoming a member because you are going to have way more time to golf once you are retired? Do you have a set crew you like to golf with and if so will a membership be a problem?

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Buggs Are you thinking of becoming a member because you are going to have way more time to golf once you are retired? Do you have a set crew you like to golf with and if so will a membership be a problem?
Yeah, pretty much retirement = golf in my mind at this point. The boss (wife) and I have discussed at length my intent to golf. She doesn't golf at this point but she has expressed interest. I'm not really intending to golf all that much in retirement relative to others, but my target is 3x per week and then go from there.

I have a semi-set group I golf with. Membership should be exactly zero problem for me, the rest of the group I'm not so sure. Probably most are ok, but the club for membership, based on pricing, may matter more to the others than to me. We won't be St. Charles, that much I can pretty much guarantee. But I had long been thinking Niakwa because most are St. Vital boys so the proximity is there. I've heard so many less than positive things about Niakwa on here and from others that I'm leaning away from that. Southwood or St. B. make sense because I'm currently in the south end.

That said, I'm not opposed to developing new golf relationships at all. It really boils down to whether other people can handle my random thoughts on the golf course. I'm a huge contrarian so can be highly irritating (momma always said I should be a lawyer). :confused:

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Yeah, pretty much retirement = golf in my mind at this point. The boss (wife) and I have discussed at length my intent to golf. She doesn't golf at this point but she has expressed interest. I'm not really intending to golf all that much in retirement relative to others, but my target is 3x per week and then go from there.

I have a semi-set group I golf with. Membership should be exactly zero problem for me, the rest of the group I'm not so sure. Probably most are ok, but the club for membership, based on pricing, may matter more to the others than to me. We won't be St. Charles, that much I can pretty much guarantee. But I had long been thinking Niakwa because most are St. Vital boys so the proximity is there. I've heard so many less than positive things about Niakwa on here and from others that I'm leaning away from that. Southwood or St. B. make sense because I'm currently in the south end.

That said, I'm not opposed to developing new golf relationships at all. It really boils down to whether other people can handle my random thoughts on the golf course. I'm a huge contrarian so can be highly irritating (momma always said I should be a lawyer). :confused:
Come join ST.B , you can play a round with the Dude. :naughty:

Reactions: John Agar and ps241

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad