OT: Golf 2.0

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Was never a big fan of Larters tbh, a few too many goofy golf holes for my liking. Having said that, it also has some really great holes, just never loved the vibe there, can’t really explain it.

Last Superintendent report I got from Southwood indicated the course wasn’t likely to open any earlier than normal. Estimated mid to late April. Range and short game area been open for awhile though, so lots of time to overthink and screw up my swing before the season gets going o_O.
Just got back from Larters, yes there is some goofy holes and nice holes, totally agree. Shot 88 not bad for first real golf game. Southside isn't real golf. :laugh: Shorts in April was really nice.:nod:

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I love Larters too and REALLY love Pine Ridge but I live in the South East. I was a member at Niakwa but I really didn’t get the use (understatement of the year). I really liked the practice facility and the new patio but I wasn’t in love with the course.
Niakwa is way over priced for the actual golf course, beauty clubhouse but i care more about the golf course than clubhouse. I think ST.B is just as good golf course wise and way cheaper .

Reactions: GNP and ps241

ryerockarola

Nov 20, 2011
20210404_180957.jpg

only 2 customers, green looks nice
St.B #2
20210404_180836.jpg

St.B #2
20210404_180401.jpg

St.B #3

Last edited:

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
I have the absolute bug right now but can't really start playing till after Friday when my exam is. Have made it to the range a few times but can't wait to get out on the course.

Course is open Thursday, was hoping to play Friday after my exam but the weather is looking like the shits now :mad:.

Reactions: Jets 31

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I have the absolute bug right now but can't really start playing till after Friday when my exam is. Have made it to the range a few times but can't wait to get out on the course.

Course is open Thursday, was hoping to play Friday after my exam but the weather is looking like the shits now :mad:.
St.B is opening Wednesday. One game and then rain Thursday, Friday, right now anyway. That could change though, here's hoping.

Reactions: ps241 and GNP

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
StB #2, StB#2, StB#3

Anyone know if images/pictures have to be uploaded to a website to be posted here. Those pics look better zoomed in :). StB fairway 3 has some green in the middle of them, course looks good.
Apparently i should have known that. :laugh: It did look familiar especially the bunkers . :laugh:

Reactions: ryerockarola

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
We have a very good greens keeper at St.B , he does a great job with the budget he has to work with.

Reactions: GNP

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Niakwa is way over priced for the actual golf course, beauty clubhouse but i care more about the golf course than clubhouse. I think ST.B is just as good golf course wise and way cheaper .

I have played Niakwa many times as well as St. Boniface, and in my opinion there isn't too much difference in the 2. Yes, Niakwa has a fancier clubhouse, but I would "never" put out all that extra money, just to say I belong to Niakwa.

For quality of Golf, ( course itself) and you factor in the cost, I think St B is a far better deal. The other bonus you get at St.B, is if your lucky enough, you could make friend with @Jets 31, and have a great time.

Reactions: ps241 and Jets 31

ryerockarola

Nov 20, 2011
20210405_102752.jpg

StB #18

20210405_100637.jpg

Niakwa #9: course opening in a couple weeks

20210405_100718.jpg

Niakwa #9: 1st time greens had sun in 180+ days,taken from fringe:)

20210405_142217.jpg

Tuxedo #9, no idea why awesome is there :)

20210405_101424.jpg

Windsor Park #18

Last edited:

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Speaking of Augusta, watched a little of their practice range coverage today and that has to be one of the most beautiful courses in the world. So glad i got to see it with my own eyes a few years ago, even 4k doesn't do it justice.

Reactions: Buffdog and GNP

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Awesome pictures, St B looks exactly like Augusta. :naughty: :laugh:

I should have added in my last comment that the one difference that is significant between St. B and Niakwa, is that Niakwa's fairways are narrower with heavy bush on both sides on some holes. St. B on the other hand, has a lot of open fairways, with no bush on the sides, so you can usually find your ball, except on some holes, so Niakwa could be tougher, if you can't control the ball. ( slice or hook)

I'm not sure, but I think both of these courses are about the same distance in yards, unless Niakwa has been lengthened, due to the long ball hitters like Jets 31. :nod:

When I was younger, I use to caddy at Niakwa for the members, to make extra money when I was a kid. The big "bonus" was that us Caddies got to play every Monday for free, providing we teed off before 11 am I believe. Was a great deal for us young guys, and I would get to play once a week for the whole season, and I played every week.

Later on, when I was older, a lot of my friends joined Niakwa, and I'd go with them to Niakwa as a "guest", so it was fun times. I don't know what it's like nowadays at ST. B but we could go there, and pay to play, "without" being a member. It's been a long time since I played there, but I would think it's the same ?? I think there was time restrictions tho, if I remember correctly - been awhile now. ??

Looking forward to the Masters this week, and maybe I'll get lucky, and one day be able to attend in person, at Augusta with @Jets 31 with his connections. We could bring @Ginger Papa along as well, to add a little character. :)

Last edited:

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

I should have added in my last comment that the one difference that is significant between St. B and Niakwa, is that Niakwa's fairways are narrower with heavy bush on both sides on some holes. St. B on the other hand, has a lot of open fairways, with no bush on the sides, so you can usually find your ball, except on some holes, so Niakwa could be tougher, if you can't control the ball. ( slice or hook)

I'm not sure, but I think both of these courses are about the same distance in yards, unless Niakwa has been lengthened, due to the long ball hitters like Jets 31. :nod:

When I was younger, I use to caddy at Niakwa for the members, to make extra money when I was a kid. The big "bonus" was that us Caddies got to play every Monday for free, providing we teed off before 11 am I believe. Was a great deal for us young guys, and I would get to play once a week for the whole season, and I played every week.

Later on, when I was older, a lot of my friends joined Niakwa, and I'd go with them to Niakwa as a "guest", so it was fun times. I don't know what it's like nowadays at ST. B but we could go there, and pay to play, "without" being a member. It's been a long time since I played there, but I would think it's the same ?? I think there was time restrictions tho, if I remember correctly - been awhile now. ??

Looking forward to the Masters this week, and maybe I'll get lucky, and one day be able to attend in person, at Augusta with @Jets 31 with his connections. We could bring @Ginger Papa along as well, to add a little character. :)
Yes at certain times public can book St B but i'm not exactly sure what those are. St B has some fairly open holes but lots of very tree'd ones too, the one thing is though it's not that dense and you can usually find your ball and get it out , eventually. :laugh: I have a good friend that's a member at Niakwa and i play there every year , the clubhouse is amazing but the golf course is not worth almost 2,000 dollars a year more. Too many goofy rules too like you have to spend a certain amount of your assessment every month or they take it anyway. Don't even get me started on how much the transfer fee and share is. :confused: I was a member at Elmhurst for a few years and if i had to leave St B i would probably go back there or across the street to Pine Ridge, both cheaper than Niakwa.

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Last thing on Niakwa and their goofy rules, my friend that's a member there has a brother that's a member there too and last year because of Covid and other things his brother decided to take the year off and save some money. He still had to pay 1,200 bucks to stay a member , that's messed up if you ask me.:confused: Oh and for the last 3 years in a row they have had a temporary green all year.

Reactions: GNP

ryerockarola

Nov 20, 2011
Man you get around @ryerockarola . :laugh: Great pictures again. :thumbu:

Greenskeeper at Niakwa was nice (nicer than some of the other courses, like getting chased off Tuxedo :)). I wouldn't have gone close to Tuxedo #9 but there were no golfers on 8 or 9 so I wasn't disturbing anyone. And I don't step on greens. :)

Niakwa greenskeeper said that
- he used flax on the greens and that the yellow should be gone in a day or two
- he didn't think STB used flax (I think he felt he had to add that on,after I told him the greens looked good at STB :))
- that 2 days ago was the 1st time Niakwa greens were uncovered for half a year. The StB greens have been uncovered more (in the day, not talking over-night) and I think the difference can be seen.

Here's one more of STB #2 being prepped. Don't drive on the greens. :) Fore!

20210405_094353.jpg

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Greenskeeper at Niakwa was nice (nicer than some of the other courses, like getting chased off Tuxedo :)). I wouldn't have gone close to Tuxedo #9 but there were no golfers on 8 or 9 so I wasn't disturbing anyone. And I don't step on greens. :)

Niakwa greenskeeper said that
- he used flax on the greens and that the yellow should be gone in a day or two
- he didn't think STB used flax (I think he felt he had to add that on,after I told him the greens looked good at STB :))
- that 2 days ago was the 1st time Niakwa greens were uncovered for half a year. The StB greens have been uncovered more (in the day, not talking over-night) and I think the difference can be seen.

Here's one more of STB #2 being prepped. Don't drive on the greens. :) Fore!

View attachment 418035
Now that view i know well , tough chip over the sandtrap from there because the green slopes away from there. :laugh:

Reactions: Ducky10

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Last thing on Niakwa and their goofy rules, my friend that's a member there has a brother that's a member there too and last year because of Covid and other things his brother decided to take the year off and save some money. He still had to pay 1,200 bucks to stay a member , that's messed up if you ask me.:confused: Oh and for the last 3 years in a row they have had a temporary green all year.

I noticed you mentioned Niakwa's share fee, and transfer costs in one of your posts. I remember about 30 years ago when my friend joined, and is still a member, and he told me it was about $ 10 - $ 15,000 dollars. So, I would think today, it would be around $ 35,000 to $ 40,000. Big bucks if you ask me, especially if you don't golf every second day. I could be out on this figure, but it will be "very high."

I think Niakwa's target market is the very wealthy, and they seem to have done a good job over the years at attracting that market. A lot of business people join there, just for the connections.

I can see Jets 31 is no fan of all their policies :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad