Post-Game Talk: Golden Knights def. Canucks - 3-2 (Miller, Horvat)

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Yeesh EP should just never see 3v3 time.

Demko has been rough in the 1st periods all year. Yes the team gets kinda owned, but routine shots going in makes it look so much worse. He's gotta be able to handle a full season load going forward, still a lotta games left, and there's been plenty of breaks this year.

JT looks checked out, but dude just scores

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Well, missed the game. Interesting to note, that for some, the playoffs were still a possibility (mathematically), the season comes down to a final wide open net scoring chance for Tyler Myers in the dying seconds of a must win in regulation game and he manages to shoot wide directly in front of the net.

Games within games

Reactions: mossey3535

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Both teams were underwhelming in this one, but at least Vegas has an excuse for their season. They've been decimated by injuries and are missing key regulars like Stone and Pacioretty....and their goalie Robin Lehner has also missed a chunk of the season.

The Canucks on the other hand really haven't missed anyone to injuries. And it's scary to think how bad they'd have been this season if someone like Miller, Horvat or Demko had ever gone down with a major injury. The depth on this team is truly pitiful.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Watched the full recording and all I could think is, well either win it in regulation and kick their asses, or lose outright. Of course neither happened.

This was an average game by Demko, the only thing is he has played so well until this end of the season period that average games look weird. He's definitely mentally tired, since they haven't played since Wednesday and 4 days of rest should be more than enough.

I hate to bring this up all the time but the same old holes are showing up in these circumstances. And that's got to be partly on Clark. On one hand you have to give him a lot of credit for Demko transitioning into the #1 role the last two seasons and being absolutely unbeatable at times. On the other hand, it looks easy when your guy is on an absolute hot streak tracking the puck - that can fix a lot of technical issues. Add in the fact that Holtby and Halak have been at best up and down while here, and to me it is a bit concerning.

Vegas MANY TIMES tried to bank it in off Demko tonight, I counted at least 5 times and Eichel tried it at least three times. As you get established in the league the scouting report gets around. I can't be the only person who has noticed his tendency to abuse post integration and generally cheat towards the post. Actually I know I'm not because Bad Goalie has pointed it out lots of times, since Demko has been in Utica. McDavid tries to exploit this weakness literally every game against us.

IMO this is another level of development that Demko can, and MUST attain if he's going to be our cornerstone to being a contender. He 100% can do it, but they really need to address it. He's been in the league for three full seasons now, so there's really no reason I should be making these same criticisms still. In fact, some things he has made literally 0 progress towards.

Some may say I am being picky or pedantic. I don't agree. Tonight showed his weaknesses, and they show up in the same situations - when he's tired, when he doesn't have his full game and is fighting it, when the other team is better than us. These are the crucial situations we're going to need him to perform in so we can win the Cup. In the playoffs, he's going to be tired. He's going to have to win when he's off his game. He's going to have to beat teams who are just as good or better than us and have the speed to reveal his weaknesses.

I remember being super impressed by Demko when I saw him in person during battle drills during his first rookie camp at UBC. His ability to make crazy improvisational saves is part of what makes him special. But that can only get you so far, and it's a good technical base that will help you be consistent over the long run.

For example, he has a tendency to be deep and block instinctively on rushes down the right side and this often results in goals to his short glove side, which is how Pietrangelo scored that goal. He drops early and doesn't try to react to the shot. At least he didn't shade to his post early for no reason this time but we've seen this goal from him consistently for his whole career.

Second goal by Marchessault, hopefully he gets screened by Dermott because otherwise it's another mental mistake where he's tired so he drops early and has to try to get a shoulder on it because he didn't read it off the release at all. Reminscent of the Gaudreau OT winner - we've seen him stop so many from that situation so we know he can do it. And this isn't a shot from the hash marks, it's basically top of the circles.

Last goal, he is doing ok - I would say he's never been the greatest at reading the play and generally plays odd-man rushes a little too aggressively considering his size. It's a quibble to say he is maybe a foot too far out but generally he is in good position and tracking the puck. But we saw in his rookie season he would sometimes not really process the play even though it appears he tracked it with his head, and it happens again here. Theodore actually has to gather the puck so there is even more time, but Demko gets an absolutely pathetic push and then he is in panic mode and improvises a weird kick save that doesn't seal the ice and it goes through him. I know Clark's basic rules for this kind of situation and he absolutely fails to do any of them. I think the main factor is mental fatigue again but IMO he hasn't made a lot of progress on controlled lateral movement this season. And his general edgework could still be better, IMO that is the root cause of this goal and also his poor pushes all last season.

Anyhow I have faith that Demko has the talent to work all this out but someone has to force him out of some of these bad habits that have now been ingrained.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Yeesh EP should just never see 3v3 time.

Demko has been rough in the 1st periods all year. Yes the team gets kinda owned, but routine shots going in makes it look so much worse. He's gotta be able to handle a full season load going forward, still a lotta games left, and there's been plenty of breaks this year.

JT looks checked out, but dude just scores

Demko being rough in the first I don’t think is true. The goals last night certainly weren’t great ones but the first period struggles this year have nothing to do with goaltending. For the most part the only reason they have a chance to get back into things is because of the goaltending. Demko has stood on his head through more first halves of the game waiting for the 18 in front of him to get going than most any goaltender I can remember.

The skaters on this roster under multiple coaches now simply sleepwalk through the first 15 minutes of games.

Right now Demko is tired. He has never had this workload in his adult life (and likely before that). It’s something he needs to learn from but also something management needs to address by putting a stronger roster together and getting a backup more time.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
They used to call Vancouver 'a goalie graveyard' and maybe we're starting to return to form. Blaming Demko for the Canucks atrocious first periods, is like blaming the Ukrainians for the Russian invasion.

I mean how many eye-ball-to-eyeball chances and clear-cut breakaways does he have to face before one finally goes in? When a team gets out-shot and out-chanced 12-1 in the first 10 minutes, the goalie is the least of their problems.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
They used to call Vancouver 'a goalie graveyard' and maybe we're starting to return to form. Blaming Demko for the Canucks atrocious first periods, is like blaming the Ukrainians for the Russian invasion.

I mean how many eye-ball-to-eyeball chances and clear-cut breakaways does he have to face before one finally goes in? When a team gets out-shot and out-chanced 12-1 in the first 10 minutes, the goalie is the least of their problems.

Those 2(?) games where Demko had to come in to replace Halak were killer. The guy couldn't even get proper rest. BB should have just left Halak in to finish the game.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Was at the game.

Another lifeless start from a team that looks every bit a group of individuals cashing cheques.

Podkolzin Horvat Miller Pettersson Hughes and OEL were the only one's able to mount much of anything and Chiasson deserves some credit for his compete level but he's not a NHLer at this stage of his career anymore so that pretty much tells you the story on this team that him and a rookie were the best wing combination on the night.

I've been defending Boeser and Garland this year somewhat but last night as well as most nights these 2 are proving they are the type of top6 wingers you lose with. Best move is probably to cut the losses on these 2 and get the 11-12.5 in cap space and use the picks if we can get some for players who can score when games are more physical and fast.

Still not sure throwing a 3rd at Dermott was a good move either when we should be trying to weaponize as many picks as possible for the draft or acquiring some wingers especially with Rathbone in the system.

Going forward it's looking increasingly like a 2-3 yr rebuild is probably the best way to proceed. Probably should not target anyone drafted prior to 2015-17 if were making moves

Miller is likely out of here and wouldn't surprise me if Horvat wants the same given the rumored lack of chemistry and the fact his career is starting to get wasted on a bad small soft team.

ChuckNorris4Cup

May 31, 2018
I was actually meaning to watch this game yesterday but then Wrestlemania was on, when I checked the score I saw 2-0 and was like oh another slow start what's new, I'll just keep watching Wrestlemania and got to see Stone Cold for a second night in a row, much better than the Canucks game, sorry guys just facts.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
so tucker poolman got a concussion? maybe he gonna get ltired like ferland.. chaulk up another bad signing by benning.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00