GDT: Gold: Sweden vs USA

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I think Finland would've had a chance in the final. Not completely unexpected win for Sweden, this group has beaten the US multiple times.

It would've been fun to see USA-FIN but Finland didn't have that killer PP and godly goalie in goal. With those laws of hockey Sweden got the gold. It didn't matter how many shots against. Defense wins championships when goalie is insane, team defense is good and PP is good.

We may ask now, how on earth did Sweden lose to Latvia during this tournament?

Reactions: FinPanda

ijuka

May 14, 2016
But it is interesting, I said that USA would have a 95% chance of beating Sweden and I think that with the game events, scoring chances, shots on goal etc. USA would have won 95% of the time but they ran into the 5%.

USA still cursed and just cannot find a gold medal.

Reactions: FinPanda and Omark

Elias40

Jan 3, 2020
It would've been fun to see USA-FIN but Finland didn't have that killer PP and godly goalie in goal. With those laws of hockey Sweden got the gold. It didn't matter how many shots against. Defense wins championships when goalie is insane, team defense is good and PP is good.

We may ask now, how on earth did Sweden lose to Latvia during this tournament?
Just the first match of the tournament, the favorite against the outsider. The third third against Switzerland brought a turnaround, then they got into gaming and mental well-being.

Reactions: Mestaruus

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Just the first match of the tournament, the favorite against the outsider. The third third against Switzerland brought a turnaround, then they got into gaming and mental well-being.

Yeah must've been wrong mentality/underestimation on that Latvia match, because someone said that Sweden had beaten USA in a practice match before the tournament. What I mean by that is that they were in good from even before the tournament started against a team that played a full season together and Sweden beat them twice.

Finland played two very tight games against Sweden so it does interest me how a game against USA would've gone.

Reactions: FinPanda

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Lekkerimaki looks like a top 10 pick to me.
No doubt.

That game was an example of what great goaltending and some lucky breaks will do for a team. USA started out like they were a machine that was going to chew up and spit out Sweden, but Havelid refused to cooperate.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Why is Elias Petterson on the picture? haha​
Awesome! :)

Pheew, what a game. That was a game I never thought Sweden would win. Kind of shows how far one lethal line, great goaltending and impressive team effort can take you.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I don't know if mentioned already but All-Stars & MVP are the following. No Finnish players by the way. I'm surprised that no Kemell. Also I would've given the MVP for the Swedish goalie, Hävelid:

Media All-Star Team
Goal: SWEDEN; #35; HAVELID Hugo

Defence: USA; #23; HUTSON LANE
Defence: CZECHIA; #9; HAMARA Tomas

Forward: CZECHIA; #25; KULICH Jiri
Forward: SWEDEN; #23; LEKKERIMÄKI Jonathan
Forward: USA; #18; COLLEY Logan

MVP
CZECHIA; #25; KULICH Jiri

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
As is Östlund :laugh:

Poor Lekkerimäki, & Hugo are only on there once, and Öhgren, the captain, isn't there at all.
Someone just threw this together like: Ok, fine this’ll do its late I wanna go home.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
What a great game that was, goalie failed team USA but it didn't fail team Sweden. 40 saves in the semifinal and 50 saves in the gold medal game, congratulations neighbor. Hävelid was like Saros in 2014.
Swedens goalie was awesome. But I wouldn't say, for me, that goalteedinf was the only reason. Sweden pounced on the few chances that made for themselves.

As a US fan I wouldn't say I'm totally disappointed. USA has done very well in this tournament.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Im still in shock.

This was me when we lost to Latvia;

Screenshot-59.png

Going from that to win the gold against USA. Beating Finland twice.

• Haha
Reactions: Czechboy

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
But it is interesting, I said that USA would have a 95% chance of beating Sweden and I think that with the game events, scoring chances, shots on goal etc. USA would have won 95% of the time but they ran into the 5%.

USA still cursed and just cannot find a gold medal.
USA haven’t won any of the last four, and two of those they were heavily favored after doing great in early tournament games.

Don’t know why people keep claiming USA is some juggernaut at this tournament. They haven’t performed anywhere near expectations at this tournament recently.
Post automatically merged:

Elias Pettersson is on the picture becuse he was playing, on d. They just got the wrong Elias.
Person tasked with creating the graphics probably didn’t understand there’s another Elias Pettersson.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
USA haven’t won any of the last four, and two of those they were heavily favored after doing great in early tournament games.

Don’t know why people keep claiming USA is some juggernaut at this tournament. They haven’t performed anywhere near expectations at this tournament recently.
Post automatically merged:

Person tasked with creating the graphics probably didn’t understand there’s another Elias Pettersson.
The US program baffles me. Elite development, elite players and no Gold's at senior to show for it after several amazing generations. Now they haven't won a U18 tourney in 4 years which is equally shocking.

I have no explanation as they should have golds all over the place. Reigning U20 champs at least!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad