PGT: Gold Medal Game | USA vs Canada | PGT

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
You must be joking. Canada plays a very similar style as the US. It's just time to get used to the idea that Canada is not the only country that can play hockey well.
Are you suggesting Canada and the US are the only 2 that can "play hockey well"?

ottawarenegader613

May 27, 2016
Congratulations to USA on winning the gold medal. Great performance from Trevor Zegras, Spencer Knight and Co.

To ou Canadian junior hockey team, even though it was a bitter pill to swallow losing the gold medal game to the USA for the third straight time on home ice, you guys played very well, and overcame the adversity throughout these rough and tough times in this world. Great seeing the Florida Panthers goaltending connection in this game from showdown between the prospects Spencer Knight and Devon Levi to Roberto Luongo's pregame interview with James Duthie and former Panthers goalie and current USA Hockey GM John Vanbiesbrouck handing out the gold medals to team USA.

It was a great tournament overall. Hopefully when the World Juniors return to Edmonton and Red Deer next year, we could finally see the fans in the stands to cheer on their nations especially us fans cheering on Team Canada.

GO CANADA GO!!!!

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
There's some truth to that. I think USA gets an unfair advantage against Canada because they play the North American style. This is emphasized with the na reffing and rinks. This is something to look into for sure

Canada invented ice hockey. They are still pretty darn good at it.

The National Hockey League was named for the Dominion of Canada. They are the nation in the NHL. I taught my kids that when they were preschoolers and already hockey fans in Milwaukee.

We the people in the US are hangers on in the NHL, even if we have 24 teams within our borders.

I saw my first pro hockey game in 1964 and I am not ashamed to say that I have no idea what you are talking about. Please explain!

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I got the 2 American goals right.
I think Canada has lots of high draft picks, who figured out too late against the US (after easily beating much weaker skilled teams) they didn’t have the American’s elite skill, and needed to play a grunt game.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I think Canada has lots of high draft picks, who figured out too late against the US (after easily beating much weaker skilled teams) they didn’t have the American’s elite skill, and needed to play a grunt game.

Canada indeed had a lot of first round draft picks but I think the importance of that was a little overblown. Lets be honest, most of these kids are picked there are because of what they will become, not what they are. Also, is a low first round pick really all that much more impressive than a high to mid second rounder?

bouncesonly

May 1, 2014
San Diego
What rules can be changed to make sure that Canada never loses another tournament? o_O

You-Cannot-Lose-if-You-Do-Not-Play-The-Wire.jpg

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Canada indeed had a lot first round draft picks but I think the importance of that was a little overblown. Lets be honest, most of these kids are picked there are because of what they will become, not what they are. Also, is a low first round pick really all that much more impressive than a high to mid second rounder?

It's a weird quirk that TSN fixated on.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Canada indeed had a lot first round draft picks but I think the importance of that was a little overblown. Lets be honest, most of these kids are picked there are because of what they will become, not what they are. Also, is a low first round pick really all that much more impressive than a high to mid second rounder?
I completely agree. Too many of the Canadian kids seemed unwilling to make the physical sacrifice to play the painful style needed against guys who are more skilled. It pains me to say (I’m Canadian) but I thought this group of players played too soft to succeed against teams with more skill. This is not the Canadian way. Regardless of one’s skill (unless their 99 or 66) they play hard to play against, or they shouldn’t be wearing the sweater.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I mean, it is impressive. It shows Canada's depth. That said, I don't think it meant all that much in the big scheme of things.
I think being selected in round one, and having such an easy time beating lesser skilled teams did affect the Canadian players. It shouldn’t matter, but it did. Like I’ve said already, I think a lot of the Canadian players felt their skills were so superior they could win without playing hard on and off pucks. I absolutely loved Caufield this whole tournament. He’s an elite skilled (very small) player, who took a beating to play the right way. I can’t think of one Canadian guy who played like that. It hurts to play the right way, and I think too many our guys didn’t want to accept that.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Canada invented ice hockey. They are still pretty darn good at it.

Technically, ice hockey originated in Europe hundreds of years ago. It started as field hockey that was played on ice during the Winter. It was brought over to North America by British soldiers. Canada is the birthplace of organized, modern ice hockey, however.

D Wakaluk

Dec 8, 2010
stuck in the '90s
What the hell are you talking about?

I was just thinking how to make this tournament more fair to Canada. Since USA can play a similar style to them, they are usually their hardest opponent. Maybe don't let USA play against Canada?

Like I said, I'm positivively happy about the canadian reffs and getting rid off shootouts but more needs to be done.

Reactions: PWiz30

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
I was just thinking how to make this tournament more fair to Canada. Since USA can play a similar style to them, they are usually their hardest opponent. Maybe don't let USA play against Canada?

Like I said, I'm positivively happy about the canadian reffs and getting rid off shootouts but more needs to be done.

Maybe how about get rid of Covid so teams like Finland Juniors have a proper camp before the tourney?

That would be more fair to Canada. No excuses.

(Finland's pandemic situation is good but not affecting these things, thank several gods.)

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Congratulations to USA, they were the better team. Canada was good too and appeared better than they were because they were in an easier division and weren't really tested before playing USA.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia

How is this tournament NOT fair to Canada? Canada plays under the same rules as everybody else.

Or are you talking about how to make it so Canada wins every time?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

That's some expert trolling there, well done.

1mezqc.jpg

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe the Canadian players were guilty of reading their headlines. They were kids living under lockdown after all.

Canada indeed had a lot of first round draft picks but I think the importance of that was a little overblown. Lets be honest, most of these kids are picked there are because of what they will become, not what they are. Also, is a low first round pick really all that much more impressive than a high to mid second rounder?

To add to both of your points, there's a lot of development from these kids' 18 year old season to their 19 year old season. When you consider age in addition to draft position within the first round, the idea that Canada's roster was superior on paper crumbles a bit.

Total 1st rounders2019 1st rounders2020 first rounders2019 draft, top 15
Canada198112
USA9726
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Sure, Canada had 10 more first round picks in their lineup but they only had one more in their draft+2 season and the American 19 year old first-round picks skewed much more to the top half of the first round. People forget that the 01 birth year was probably the best NTDP class ever because they had some hard luck in international play (the tying goal after the buzzer at the Gretzky-Hlinka Cup and Askarov stealing the semifinal at the U-18 WC). This year was their time to shine and next year will probably be Canada's turn.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00