PGT: Gold Medal Game | USA vs Canada | PGT

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It really was a barrel, not a trash can, thankfully.

barrel.jpg

I grabbed that from TSN's video of the coach explaining the story behind it:
Team USA coach says team wasn't trying to disrespect Canada with barrel celebration

Last edited:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
In many ways tonight was also a battle between Canadian junior hockey vs NCAA
Saying the more pro ready college players shine more than Junior players who play against a lot more underage players on a regular basis?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Didn't get to see it live, but watching the replay... the US team was simply better in every phase.

Canada was deeper and thus had more energy late, but the US was still so solid defensively, Canada didn't have a lot to work with.

I expected Canada to come out flying for the second period only to see the US score 30 seconds in.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It sounds like Canada may've been unprepared for the game because they didn't have a scouting report on this Matthew Turcotte fellow.
Yahoo said:
U.S. stars Matthew Turcotte and Trevor Zegras scored the first five-on-five goals versus Canada in the entire tournament to construct an early American lead and spoil the stats on standout Canadian netminder Devon Levi, who himself was submitting a tournament for the record books.
Yahoo - United States stuns Canada to capture world junior gold

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Is there video of Bowen Byram handing out silver medals to his teammates?

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Saying the more pro ready college players shine more than Junior players who play against a lot more underage players on a regular basis?

That is hard to quantify

Perhaps Canadian colleges should form an NCAA sanctioned league for Division 1 hockey. Simon Fraser University in BC is already an NCAA member so it is possible.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
It sounds like Canada may've been unprepared for the game because they didn't have a scouting report on this Matthew Turcotte fellow.

Yahoo - United States stuns Canada to capture world junior gold
From that article...
Used to scoring within the first few shifts of the game, instead the Canadians found themselves trailing early. It seemed to have a paralyzing effect on the Canadians, who had nothing to offer for several minutes on end and were, at best, on their heels for the remainder of the opening period. Still, after having the time to shake out some cobwebs, it was clear they weren’t prepared for the start of the second period when the Americans doubled their lead within seconds. It wasn’t until desperation had set in did the Canadians work themselves into the game, when it was already halfway through.
Ain't THAT the truth!?!?!

Reactions: irunthepeg and Rob

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I would also like to say a big thank you to everybody who participated in the world juniors threads, it’s been a pretty easy job for the most moderators, people were getting along quite well, so I thank you for that.:cheers:

Now let’s see how the Canadian division goes, Think I might resign:laugh:

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
From that article...

Ain't THAT the truth!?!?!

Canada looked lost when they fell behind and maybe they were stunned given the US had lost to Russia back on Christmas day.

Pierre McGuire on CKGM Montreal said there was no way Canada could lose UNLESS Spencer Knight got into Canada's head.

9h ago

McGuire: Cannot see the US beating Canada

NBC hockey analyst Pierre McGuire joined the show to talk the World Juniors final tonight between the Americans and Canadians, the pairing of Drysdale and Byram, what the Americans need to do to have success, the Habs powerplay and more.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
That was a team win by USA. They played such a good game from start to finish. They played like they were a NHL team while Canada looked like a junior team stacked with talent but not enough structure and guys trying to do too much on their own.

US made this one look easy. Their D was particularly good at keeping guys on the outside and limiting second chances. Their D was also actively jumping in the NZ stiffling the Canadian offense. They made simple plays and were able to get the puck out effectively with the support from the forwards. Knight didn't have to make crazy saves but made the saves he needed to make.

Again really impressed as a Canadian, USA looked like a team of man against boys. Canada didn't deserve this one at all. To be honest I'm not really surprised to see this outcome.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Pierre McGuire on CKGM Montreal said there was no way Canada could lose UNLESS Spencer Knight got into Canada's head.
I think it was the defense in front of Knight more than anything.

No disrespect to Knight though, he made the saves the team needed him to make too, but that was a defensive clinic in front of him tonight.

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
I know I’ve used some of these before but I’m too tired and lazy & a little intoxicated to look up new ones tonight so these will have to do.

So this is my post game analysis

1st Period:​

Canada is dominated by the USA in the opening frame & appear off.
02E4D757-EB3A-4F40-A4C9-C99CE04F6F73.gif

The USA opens up the Scoring
93B713F8-D28B-4155-8A60-46DC1B8938D3.gif

Canada continues to struggle
A0FE4D65-0709-4FAF-A097-F87BF65CD695.gif

2nd period :
Hopes that Canada will come out of the gates flying are quickly dashed when Trevor Zegras
113749A6-E09E-4936-9C78-C09B7401ACFB.gif

gets a lucky bounce for his 2nd point of the game and makes it 2-0 USA early
6887F7D7-CE99-4C3A-8790-F93C15028AD0.gif

(Actual footage from @Del Preston )

Canada is out of sync and is outplayed most of the period until late. A power play generates a few chances and a post but ultimately comes up empty.
78AAABAC-3E31-497B-B8B1-1EEE35534BC3.gif

3rd period :​

Canada starts to gets some offensive attack flowing but the USA keeps them on the perimeter.

Opportunities that Canada does get are sent wide or high

87D674F5-06B2-4174-A04A-626CCC7102A7.gif

Or Spencer Knight is getting in the way of every shot he faced.
B6B13A11-D236-4BD4-A70A-BD27AD3CDBFD.gif

The Result was a 2-0 victory for the USA.

I won’t comment on the ‘Barrel’ fiasco,
C998EF9B-84BA-4451-9B1F-03D4C0A304B2.gif

as it ended up being much ado about nothing.

This is a good place to say good night and
7C9AC1BB-1DCE-47D0-B528-2C82C7475768.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce