PGT: Gold Medal Game | USA vs Canada | PGT

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
He wasn't close to Zegras or Stutzle. Cozens was better except for the final.
Remove Turcotte as Zegras C and you still think he scores as much? They’re dynamic together and are perfect compliments to each other.. Turcotte played a dynamic 2-way game who had the game winning goal in the Championship game and set up the Kaliyev winner.. The kids B game outshines them ..

Reactions: ru4reals and Lt Dan

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
The US deserved it. Played a fantastic gold medal game. The USNTDP has taken the quality of American players to a new level the last decade.

Kind of a disappointing performance from Team Canada but I think the effort was there. I thought these were clearly the two best teams in the WJC. All in all not the best tournament entertainment wise but I was just happy to be watching hockey again.

D Wakaluk

Dec 8, 2010
stuck in the '90s
Canada had more rest than their opponent in the only game they lost. Try again.

Maybe the IIHF should regulate the USA, Finland, Russia and Sweden from the top tier. Then maybe Canada could win every year. :sarcasm:

There's some truth to that. I think USA gets an unfair advantage against Canada because they play the North American style. This is emphasized with the na reffing and rinks. This is something to look into for sure

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
I am referring to the ridiculousness of your post but yes I was on HF near its inception for a while.
Are you related to Foghorn?
916.png

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
He wasn't close to Zegras or Stutzle. Cozens was better except for the final.

"Wasn't close" except in 5 on 5 scoring, zone entries, winning puck battles, and doing all the stuff coaches don't trust Zegras to do, then sure. We will see if Zegras ever plays center in the NHL (I doubt it) because he doesn't do the dirty work and relies on his elite skill set. Turcotte was a beast and clearly the right choice to play top line center.

Reactions: ru4reals

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
ah, another guy that judges a tourney based on point production

The dude said he was just alright yet didn't even notice what he did against Sweden, Finland and Canada when it mattered most. LMAO!!! Glad Zegras was able to lug around two slugs the whole tournament though. :laugh:

Reactions: kings11

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
The dude said he was just alright yet didn't even notice what he did against Sweden, Finland and Canada when it mattered most. LMAO!!! Glad Zegras was able to lug around two slugs the whole tournament though. :laugh:

It's the same shit every year. Flash will always trump substance to many newer "fans".

Reactions: ru4reals

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
The U.S. were relentless - they played flawless hockey after the first five minutes and never took their foot off the pedal. If Canada had to lose the Gold, the States winning it is the least painful to endear.

I am proud of Team Canada as well. One of the more complete teams that I can remember. They were so efficient at sustaining pressure and limiting zone-entries.

Devon Levi was fantastic, and he has a bright future ahead of him. His poise reminded me of Carter Hart.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
It's the same shit every year. Flash will always trump substance to many newer "fans".

Stutzle going to be good not going to knock on him, but just a note he scored 2 points against the Fins, none against Canada, 3 against the Slovaks, 5 against the Swiss, none against the Russians. 2 points against 3 of the top 5 teams. But it is about points I guess. Just saying. Turcotte was just okay when they had to beat Sweden(2 big Points), Finland (2 huge points sets up game winner), Canada(huge 1st goal/game winner). Again he was just okay. :sarcasm:

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
There's some truth to that. I think USA gets an unfair advantage against Canada because they play the North American style. This is emphasized with the na reffing and rinks. This is something to look into for sure
You must be joking. Canada plays a very similar style as the US. It's just time to get used to the idea that Canada is not the only country that can play hockey well.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Stutzle going to be good not going to knock on him, but just a note he scored 2 points against the Fins, none against Canada, 3 against the Slovaks, 5 against the Swiss, none against the Russians. 2 points against 3 of the top 5 teams. But it is about points I guess. Just saying. Turcotte was just okay when they had to beat Sweden(2 big Points), Finland (2 huge points sets up game winner), Canada(huge 1st goal/game winner). Again he was just okay. :sarcasm:

There’s a screen cap somewhere of Elias going in alone on Askarov while two Russian players watch as they remain stapled to Stuetzle’s side.

That’s the kind of attention he was seeing from opposing teams.

Obviously he will see his fair share of checkers in the NHL but hopefully he will have more to work with as well.

We saw with Rossi how challenging it can be to differentiate yourself against a far better and more well-rounded opponent.

Anyway, Turcotte is a gold medal winner and played a big role so I wouldn’t worry about him.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020
"Wasn't close" except in 5 on 5 scoring, zone entries, winning puck battles, and doing all the stuff coaches don't trust Zegras to do, then sure. We will see if Zegras ever plays center in the NHL (I doubt it) because he doesn't do the dirty work and relies on his elite skill set. Turcotte was a beast and clearly the right choice to play top line center.
Aren't the wingers supposed to do the dirty work and set up centre?

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Remove Turcotte as Zegras C and you still think he scores as much? They’re dynamic together and are perfect compliments to each other.. Turcotte played a dynamic 2-way game who had the game winning goal in the Championship game and set up the Kaliyev winner.. The kids B game outshines them ..
I think Zegras would have scored more if he was paired with Boldy/Berniers tbh. Kailyev got better as the tournament went on but if you swapped him with Boldy, Beniers or Caufield Zegras would have scored more.

Ducati Boy

HF Original
Feb 7, 2018
Once again, a tournament was pulled off successfully with barely a hitch despite the almost gleeful prognostications of the skeptics, doomsayers, and alarmists. And no, not for the $, as cynics would have it, but for humanity -- to do something that brings joy and a sense of vitality to both those involved and those entertained by it. Kudos to all those involved in making this New Year a little happier for hockey fans.

Oh, and congrats US who won when it mattered most. There were about 15 minutes (end of first period, start of 2nd) where they discombobulated the Canadian team like I haven't seen in years. Although the Canadians recovered their form, that decided the game -- and that's all it takes.

Reactions: MCB and Ginger Papa

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad