GDT: Gold Medal Game • May 15 • Sweden 1, Finland 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

kvp

May 13, 2011
OT but it's kinda odd how the finnish teams don't sign any danish/norwegian players. It should be ridiculously easy to lure top guys from those leagues as the pay and the level of game is far superior in Finland. The only reason I can think of, is that the finnish teams consider the danish and norwegian leagues to be the same level as the finnish second tier league, Mestis and therefore don't want to waste their resources to scout those countries when players of similar calibre are acquirable easier inside Finland...Meh, who knows.

They probably prefer SEL, and even other central european leagues, pretty heavily due to the language difference between Finnish and the other Nordic languages. Maybe the fact that we are always drunk and carry knives everywhere has something to do with it too.

Rappaport

May 8, 2011
They probably prefer SEL, and even other middle european leagues, pretty heavily due to the language difference between Finnish and the other Nordic languages. Maybe the fact that we are always drunk and carry knives everywhere has something to do with it too.
No need to diss Finland (yourselves) any more, you are the No.1 now. Norwegians and Danes should be happy if they had the chance to play in Finland, obviously one of the best places in th world if you want to learn how to play successful elite hockey.

Ciccarelli

Uncle Gelart
Dec 17, 2005
They probably prefer SEL, and even other central european leagues, pretty heavily due to the language difference between Finnish and the other Nordic languages. .

That's actually a pretty legit reason, although all finns in general speak fluent english. Still, like I said, it's probably more about the finnish teams not willing to scout those countries all that much rather than the players not wanting to come here. SaiPa and Ilves were/are bottom feeders in FEL still they were able to sign a couple of top canadians from the danish league.

Ok, enough for the thread hi-jacking. I'm out. Peace.

Lugaid

Hajlajtreelmål!
May 28, 2008
Stockholm
What did he say then?

He accused Mikael Granlund of not being humble, and that he'll have to be more humble to realize his full potential. Bull if you ask me, and I don't like Calle Johansson as a commentator either, he's very convinced he's right. That said, I respect him as a player.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
Why Finland are so happy about winning a meaningless tournament when the best players in the world doesn't participate ? I don't get it.

Only Canadians and Americans can say that when they didn't win. If Canada won you know they would be like:handclap::yo:

That is what national teams is about. Always plays with the best players available.

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
He accused Mikael Granlund of not being humble, and that he'll have to be more humble to realize his full potential. Bull if you ask me, and I don't like Calle Johansson as a commentator either, he's very convinced he's right. That said, I respect him as a player.

What?! :D Granlund is 19 years old and one of the most humble guys ive seen while being on interviews. The guy is pure gold literally. He plays always for his team and loves winning, it doesnt matter who scores as far as his team wins. Thats why HIFK is FEL champion and thats also the reason why Finland won the WC.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009

I LOL'd at this. Hes very classy and very humble. He doesen't care how he scores. He told in interview it's only 1 goal and it doesen't matter how you do it most important is that it went in. I liked more about his pass on 4th goal in the final. That tells more about player named Mikael Granlund. Perfect timing, and clever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCZTqNhp4Dg&feature=player_embedded

The pass is made at the first goal of that clip.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010

Granlund not humble? LOL.

You just cannot comment that in any other way. That guy reall is an idiot. he must be just talking crap without actually knowing, because Granlund is just known as very hubmle person. Granlund is such a nice and humble even when he wins. Just like Selanne i think.. ofcourse he will celebrate, probably he thought he shouldn't? Lol

Mara

May 10, 2011
Really good tournament from Sweden considering how young the team was. Your NT has a good future. It was really sad to see Fasth interviewed after the game, all I could think was "let the man go already".

I hope we get a FIN - SWE final next year at HEL. :)

Tree-hugger

Feb 28, 2007
Paris
He's a pundit now and can be judged on his performance in this new career. Being a former good player doesn't give anyone a carte blanche to say silly things on tv.

True. Granlund would make Lids look like a showboater. Does not make any sense at all.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
It's amazing how much changed during the tournament for Finland. First six games were all tight (except the Denmark game) with a goal difference of +7 (19-12) and with 3 of those goals coming from SO wins, which leaves +4 in regulation and OT hockey (which was the result of the Denmark game).

Then the last 3 games, the games that really mattered, with a goal difference of +11 (13-2).

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
True. Granlund would make Lids look like a showboater. Does not make any sense at all.

I believe Calle was referring to his risky play in the first period, not his personality.

Calle knows more about hockey than all of you. ;-)

Last edited:

teme

Feb 28, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
This is just plain cruel :)

231182_1992487502043_1539084944_2152668_1836259_s.jpg

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
OT but it's kinda odd how the finnish teams don't sign any danish/norwegian players. It should be ridiculously easy to lure top guys from those leagues as the pay and the level of game is far superior in Finland. The only reason I can think of, is that the finnish teams consider the danish and norwegian leagues to be the same level as the finnish second tier league, Mestis and therefore don't want to waste their resources to scout those countries when players of similar calibre are acquirable easier inside Finland...Meh, who knows.

One reason was that for a long period Finnish league had limit for non-Finnish players (by a agreement of teams) before they changed it for 2009-10 season so that it's non-EU players. Using foreign player spot to Danish player wasn't really what teams were looking for.

Lennu

May 8, 2011
What a sick game. Still can't believe what has happened. Team Finland really deserved and needed this. Clearly best team in this tournament. We were down against almost every team in this tournament but still only loss to Czech Republic 1-2. Poff-games goal difference 13-2, all I can do is raise my hat for this team. :bow:

What, I thought Mikael Granlund knew Swedish. Any specific reason behind him wearing #64, btw? I've been wondering all tournament.

I've also been thinking the same thing. Well, earlier he has had number 8. Maybe that number wasn't available once he got promoted in Kärpät so 8 x 8 = 64? Have no idea..

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
Then the last 3 games, the games that really mattered, with a goal difference of +11 (13-2).
And in those three games Petri Vehanen made 99 saves, let one goal by him on a penaltyshot and on a great shot which was assisted by Kukkonen's stick. Nice recovery after the Russia-game.

And I have to say congrats to Sweden. Really good result with the young guns they had in this tournament. Your future obviously looks bright. Feeling a bit sad for Fasth though since Sweden didn't really play (any defence) in the end and the numbers got a bit too ugly.

Last edited:

Latex*

I've also been thinking the same thing. Well, earlier he has had number 8. Maybe that number wasn't available once he got promoted in Kärpät so 8 x 8 = 64? Have no idea..

64 was the first number he got when he started to play hockey, so i guess that's the reason for him wearing it.

Lennu

May 8, 2011
64 was the first number he got when he started to play hockey, so i guess that's the reason for him wearing it.

Really? What I have heard and seen he has had number 8 but it wouldn't surprise me if I'd be wrong :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad