GDT: Gold Medal Game • May 15 • Sweden 1, Finland 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glaurung

Aug 31, 2003

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
6-1, that's pretty surprising. Unbelievable game for Finland, domination at its finest!

I didn't get to see the game, but people I've spoken to said that Sweden was actually the better team the first two periods - and then just stopped playing in the third?

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
I didn't get to see the game, but people I've spoken to said that Sweden was actually the better team the first two periods - and then just stopped playing in the third?
They had the edge for two periods but were gassed out in the 3rd when Finland rolled 4 lines and 8 defense men.

Mara

May 10, 2011
Funny thing about this team and the tournament is that Finland started almost every game badly and then pretty much dominated the third periods. Usually it's the other way around.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site

First period was pretty even in my book, but Sweden did have better chances in second period. 3rd period, there was only one team on the ice and after Finland's second goal you could see it was not gonna happen for the swedes, they had absolutely nothing to counter with.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
First period was pretty even in my book, but Sweden did have better chances in second period. 3rd period, there was only one team on the ice and after Finland's second goal you could see it was not gonna happen for the swedes, they had absolutely nothing to counter with.

I agree, Sweden was better in the second period with the first being pretty even. The third was no contest.

Make

Apr 15, 2004
Finland
What I liked about their play in the third period is how relentless thet were after they got the lead. They didn't stop forechecking and continued to pressure the Swedish players when they had the puck. There wasn't really a hint of freezing which is often the case for Finland. They were on a mission.

Sweden kind of froze after Finland took the lead. It looked like they weren't really expecting to trail Finland because they played such a strong second period. It was a tough situation for a young team. Then things just quickly started to go downhill for Sweden. First Koivu almost scored on the breakaway and then just a minute later Kapanen scored the 3-1 goal. Huge boost for Finland.

It was a much tighter game than 6-1. It was a one period game and Finland happened to play their best period of the tournament.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden

Yes, something like this. I guess you can say Sweden was a little bit better summarazing the first two periods, at least in most part of the second.

One goalpost (Berglund) from making 2-0 in the second then we took a stupid penalty and Finland scored on a beautiful goal on a breakaway with 7 seconds left.

Finland scored another very beautiful goal in the third and then dominated the rest of the game while Sweden stopped playing and Fasth also heavily choking. I do not blame Fasth for the two first beautiful Finnish goals though. (1-1 and 2-1)

Gemini

May 12, 2011

It was eerily similar to what happened in the WJC final this year. Both Finland and the WJC Russian team scored five unanswered goals in the third, including two quick ones to start the period, while the young teams they were playing against just went numb.

Pitt9050

May 16, 2011
Pittsburgh
This is the first year I've followed the world championships and it was a great decision. I loved the high level of competition from around the world. I didnt see this game becoming such a blowout but hey thats how she goes sometimes. Really excited to start watching outside the NHL now

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
Mikael is very common in Finland as well... As is Mika... A name that is in so many countries (Michael, Michál, Mikkel, Michel, etc) isn't really automatically a country's own...

Well, technically speaking it's not a finnish name just becaus it's popular in Finland, just as Jimmy is not a swedish name even though it's popular here.

Mikael is, as far as I know, the swedish spelling of the name. My brother is called Mikael btw.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Well, technically speaking it's not a finnish name just becaus it's popular in Finland, just as Jimmy is not a swedish name even though it's popular here.

Mikael is, as far as I know, the swedish spelling of the name. My brother is called Mikael btw.

20ish years ago 80-90% of the Mikaels in sweden would've spelled it Michael or even Micael though...

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
OT but it's kinda odd how the finnish teams don't sign any danish/norwegian players. It should be ridiculously easy to lure top guys from those leagues as the pay and the level of game is far superior in Finland. The only reason I can think of, is that the finnish teams consider the danish and norwegian leagues to be the same level as the finnish second tier league, Mestis and therefore don't want to waste their resources to scout those countries when players of similar calibre are acquirable easier inside Finland...Meh, who knows.

I think it has to do with language. Sweden is also closer and has a better league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad