GDT: Gold Medal Game • Jan. 5 • Canada vs. Russia • Part V (Mod warning in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
It's kinda funny that some and I say some posters here are going on about how unclassy the Canadian fans were celebrating Canada's win when one of the biggest cheers was for the Slovakian goalie Godla who won goaltender of the tournament. To me it seems like just a bunch of sour grapes from certain posters.

These threads just turn into a big pissing match each time when we should look back on a very good gold medal game where in the end the better team won, russia as always fought until the very end and could have won but didn't and why wouldn't the fans in the stands celebrate the Canadian win with as much fervour as they did. TSN is a Canadian sports network so why wouldn't they gear their broadcast towards the Canadian team. They also covered pretty much every other game from other countries along the way.

The russian players were understandebly upset and the stick throwing into the stands was stupid but emotion got better of the kid. In the handshake line I also saw a good deal of sportsmanship from both the russian and Canadian sides.

Right on....their were several hugs between what had been fierce combatants...a sure sign of mutual respect !!!

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
I mean...Russians were somewhat immature. But really if you think that absurd hitting (I guess they call it physical play here) and engravating that was done to the Russians in a legal matter inside the game is fine...then you should be fine with taunting the bench. It's also legal and also as immature.

Throwing the stick was unnecessary and stupid. It happens. Don't want to defend the guy, but I can somewhat understand the frusturation. Obviously he should not had done that. If IHF comes up with a penalty I would be fine with it.

By insinuation, ur suggesting that hitting in hockey , playing physical in a contact sport, is somehow immature/wrong...GETA Grip Dude. That's Hockey 101! [mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Anyway, to all Canadians here - I've said multiple times that I do not wish to continue arguing, yet you have continued to hack away at my previous posts -

Canada celebrated, granted - and the Russians would have done the same (not sure if at that intensity, but they would have of course also been happy for their team). Now, you have to realize what can be pretty annoying for a Russian when watching the Tsn transmission:

1) They only talk about the Canadian team - they spend about an hour before every game telling you everything about how amazing all the players are, how every line functions to 100% efficiency, how they're going to get the gold medal, etc. They heap mountains of praise on the Canadian players, but recognize almost none of the achievements of the opposing team. It seems they've won the tournament before it already began, and even though Canada is a very strong team, they do not always win. If you watch Russian transmissions, they generally have no pre-game antics and take you straight to the game. You'll never see Russian commentators 'raving' about their team, even if they're very good.

2) The 'Social rankings' on Tsn were ridiculous - what kind of political garbage is that? Placing Russia 9th - now that is unsportsmanlike, since true athletes respect skill and ability, and not 'popular reputation' - if everything went by popular reputation, the world would be a dark place.

How about Metro paper coming out the next day with a title "Putin Russia to it's place". Do you think paper should be mixing politics and sport in this manner? I don't even agree with Russia's politics and cringed so hard when I read it.

A comment was made that criticized the Canadian FANS at the game - yet neither of these responses actually addressed that, it only deflects from what was a rather ignorant comment. If the Canadian fans had wasted their energy taunting the opposition, I might have agreed but the energy in the building that night was focused exclusively on positively supporting Team Canada, not degrading Russia. As a Russian player, I can see how our enthusiasm could be a great motivator for them but as a spectator, to take offense at Canadian fans cheering for their Canadian team, that is actually in its own league of 'over-sensitivity'.

Even when Team Canada took a huge lead, the building didn't become hostile toward the opposition in the least. When Canada's lead quickly began to dissipate, we didn't sit on our hands either. We became 19000 cheerleaders, not critics. As someone who was actually in attendance at the game, I'm responding to both of these posts because you sound like sour grapes.

It's rather convenient to ignore that one of the loudest ovations given to an individual player in the tournament was to a SLOVAKIAN! And it wasn't just one time. Godla received insane reactions on three separate occasions in the ACC and he deserved it.

As for the Metro headline, it was a pun used on some free newspaper. If you really think that people are going to associate Russian people with the political controversies of Putin, then I guess I give most people a tad bit more credit than you do.

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada
Celebrating has to be done in a civlized manner.

normal

Like this?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
ITT, I learned from a Russian how Canadians should celebrate gold medals.

Because everyone knows when it comes to being classy, just ask a Russian. They don't taunt or throw sticks at the patrons or anything. Very often.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
How about Metro paper coming out the next day with a title "Putin Russia to it's place". Do you think paper should be mixing politics and sport in this manner? I don't even agree with Russia's politics and cringed so hard when I read it.

Ha-ha, that's hilarious, how did I miss that one... :laugh:

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
The GDT is still going on..?

If we're putting in final opinions.. Fucale still sucks badly

Adanac

Dec 15, 2013
A comment was made that criticized the Canadian FANS at the game - yet neither of these responses actually addressed that, it only deflects from what was a rather ignorant comment. If the Canadian fans had wasted their energy taunting the opposition, I might have agreed but the energy in the building that night was focused exclusively on positively supporting Team Canada, not degrading Russia. As a Russian player, I can see how our enthusiasm could be a great motivator for them but as a spectator, to take offense at Canadian fans cheering for their Canadian team, that is actually in its own league of 'over-sensitivity'.

Even when Team Canada took a huge lead, the building didn't become hostile toward the opposition in the least. When Canada's lead quickly began to dissipate, we didn't sit on our hands either. We became 19000 cheerleaders, not critics. As someone who was actually in attendance at the game, I'm responding to both of these posts because you sound like sour grapes.

It's rather convenient to ignore that one of the loudest ovations given to an individual player in the tournament was to a SLOVAKIAN! And it wasn't just one time. Godla received insane reactions on three separate occasions in the ACC and he deserved it.

As for the Metro headline, it was a pun used on some free newspaper. If you really think that people are going to associate Russian people with the political controversies of Putin, then I guess I give most people a tad bit more credit than you do.

Who cares about the Slovakian goalie. The game was never in reach and Canada and Slovakia doesn't have nearly enough history to compare that to anything else. Well, look at the Sweden-Russia game, no taunting and no stick throwing, how classy were those Russians, eh?

Not only do I think people are going to associate political controversies of Putin, this is exactly what happening. The freaking paper PUBLISHED it on the first page...they are already associating this win with the win over Russian politics. Again..free country, do as you wish, but lets not pretend this is some classy behavior of sorts...

How do you see that crowd as being positive??? All I saw was Putin puns and crowd cheering 10x more loud for every hit than they did for a goal. Booing Russians on every play and booing on every call that didn't go Canadian way and so on. I mean, how does one differentiate this positive crowd of yours from being hostile. Those are pretty much interchangeable.

Again not to say that it's wrong...it's part of the game. You do as you please, you cheer for you team, I cheer for mine, but lets pretend like something else is going on.

Adanac

Dec 15, 2013
ITT, I learned from a Russian how Canadians should celebrate gold medals.

Because everyone knows when it comes to being classy, just ask a Russian. They don't taunt or throw sticks at the patrons or anything. Very often.

Well thank god Canada doesn't seem to win very often....

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
I would be ashamed if Domi did that after a goal, but he didn't, nor did any Canadian....becuase they aren't disrespectful plugs.

When Russia beat Canada back in 2011, they taunted the cameras after the game.

Russian hockey players are plugs when they celebrate. It's just the way they are

Last edited by a moderator:

Draw Me a McElephant

Mar 9, 2011

I don't think this really has anything to do with my post that you quoted, which was about the criticism of the fans at the game not the media. I do agree that Canadian media (mainly TSN) often goes overboard with the WJC hype. As far as the "Putin Russia in its place" headline, I wouldn't really consider that mixing politics and sport - it's just a lame attempt at a joke. People in North American constantly use the "Putin" pun when referring to Russia (it is way overdone), but it is not meant as a political statement of any kind.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I don't think this really has anything to do with my post that you quoted, which was about the criticism of the fans at the game not the media. I do agree that Canadian media (mainly TSN) often goes overboard with the WJC hype. As far as the "Putin Russia in its place" headline, I wouldn't really consider that mixing politics and sport - it's just a lame attempt at a joke. People in North American constantly use the "Putin" pun when referring to Russia (it is way overdone), but it is not meant as a political statement of any kind.

Not to mention, Canadian media coverage is 100% independent from our government... publishing that in the paper is a businessman's attempt to stir up emotion and get people fired up to read the article. It's not like the line cane straight from Ottawa.

ace4

Mar 11, 2014

The Metro paper is a free tabloid designed to get people's attention with shocking headlines. Its not to be taken seriously by anyone.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
This thread has become far too much work to maintain. The warnings are not being heeded. After 5 threads and 4300 posts, I think we're done. Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad