GDT: Gold Medal Game • Jan. 5 • Canada vs. Russia • Part V (Mod warning in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

geoo9

Mar 15, 2013
rusland
Is "we are the #1 nation in hockey in two recent major tournaments" sufficiently dialed down for you?
i don want write proves again. Moderator warning was for us who calmed facts and videos for writers like you This is not the place for this discussion.
Many teams won OG , many won WJC. So this is big disrespectful when you make yourself at top of the world. Each nation had their own biggest upset time. Just now this is canadian time, after that it will be US time a think, before that was red mashine time and czech superteam time and all of them can imagine itself like hockey nation №1 but only Can do it a dunno why. Nothing against for team canada though. They was exellent

jgimb

Dec 28, 2012
Russians are a proud people - do not humiliate or attempt to humiliate them, they will fight back. That's exactly what happened - the fan didn't do anything to deserve that, which is clear - but after Gavrikov fought his heart out for his country and they almost tied it up, and the fans are dancing around like monkeys in the stands, of course he's pissed. That doesn't show respect towards the Russian team. Instead of blaming the Russian player, maybe Canadians should think more about how their overindulgent cheering habits and constant 'we're superior' rhetoric affects opposing teams.

I do think that Gavrikov was wrong, no question, and it was a bad thing to do. But he did it because he was angered at Canadian fans humiliating his country. He did this in defense of the honour of his country - not the smartest way to do it, but under the adrenaline-packed circumstances, that's what happened. Give the guy a break and respect the effort the Russian team put in.

seriously dude, blaming the crowd for celebrating a long awaited gold medal. Don't attempt to humiliate them? What did Russia do following the first goal. This is the most interesting post I have ever seen.. anywhere. If Russia wins gold in Sochi the fans would have lost their minds. Grow up you say your a Canadian citizen our hockey culture should be pretty damn easy to understand.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
After seeing the kid throw the stick into the crowd after the game ended, I feel a little foolish for congratulating Russia on their class (outside of the taunts at the player's bench).

Looks like I spoke too soon.

I guess I should have known.

Russian fans will try and blow it off as no big deal, he's just a kid, blah blah blah. Yeah, what a load of garbage. That is a bush league act and I promise you this...if a Canadian kid did that, I would hope that Hockey Canada would come down on him like a ton of bricks and that his own dad would give him a kick in the ass.

I suppose this type of thing is normal in Russia, but it doesn't fly here.

[mod] No one was defending the guy who threw the stick - and stop generalizing things about Russia and Russians. You don't know any Russian people, probably. I actually come from the Ukraine but I had very good friends in Canada, in fact my best friend is Canadian. So stop the hatred, don't know where you're getting all of these generalizations from.

Last edited by a moderator:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
i don want write proves again. Moderator warning was for us who calmed facts and videos for writers like you This is not the place for this discussion.
Many teams won OG , many won WJC. So this is big disrespectful when you make yourself at top of the world. Each nation had their own biggest upset time. Just now this is canadian time, after that it will be US time a think, before that was red mashine time and czech superteam time and all of them can imagine itself like hockey nation №1 but only Can do it a dunno why. Nothing against for team canada though. They was exellent

What are you on about?

No one is saying Canada is the best of all-time and forever after.

Right this instant, you can make a pretty good case for it.

That's all that is being said here.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Who cares about the stick?

No one got significantly hurt.

It's not the first time a stick has been hurled into the stands.

It was inadvisable and obviously emotionally-driven but he's not a war criminal here. He's a kid who just lost the Gold Medal game by the narrowest of margins.

At some point, some Canadian will do something dumb like that in an international game and a bunch of folks in this thread will act like hypocrites.

Last edited:

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Man imagine the hate if Canada wins the WHC in May...(reigning Olympic Champions, reigning WJ champions, reigning World Champions) We'd have every main hockey trophy/championship. Europeans would be so pissed

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Man imagine the hate if Canada wins the WHC in May...(reigning Olympic Champions, reigning WJ champions, reigning World Champions) We'd have every main hockey trophy/championship. People would be so pissed :p

In the Olympic best-on-best era, I think the Canadians did it before around the 2002-2004 time period.

The Czechs did it as well after Nagano.

Jun 9, 2011
pfft, a kid filled with adrenaline just lost the biggest game of his life and he reacted poorly. Kids do stupid stuff all the time, usually not with millions watching. Let it go folks.

Draw Me a McElephant

Mar 9, 2011
Suggesting that the fans were too loud and somehow disrespecting the Russian players and Russia as a country by cheering for their team and "dancing around like monkeys" might qualify as the most ridiculous thing I've read on HF. Had Russia won gold on home ice vs Canada the fans would have done the same thing and would be totally jusified in doing so. The enthusiasm of the crowd was one of the biggest reasons why the game was so exciting to watch.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Suggesting that the fans were too loud and somehow disrespecting the Russian players and Russia as a country by cheering for their team and "dancing around like monkeys" might qualify as the most ridiculous thing I've read on HF. Had Russia won gold on home ice vs Canada the fans would have done the same thing and would be totally jusified in doing so. The enthusiasm of the crowd was one of the biggest reasons why the game was so exciting to watch.

change the might qualify to qualifies, and I think you are on to something.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014

And what do you think about the 'Social Status' of teams on the Tsn.ca website? Russia was placed 9th out of 10, with only Germany behind them, despite Russia being the 2nd most skilled team and the only one capable of giving the Canadians a hard time. So this 'Social status' is basically idiotic, since it reflects nothing - it has nothing to do with the actual skill of the players. And you mean to say that this is not humiliating the Russian nation?

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
seriously dude, blaming the crowd for celebrating a long awaited gold medal. Don't attempt to humiliate them? What did Russia do following the first goal. This is the most interesting post I have ever seen.. anywhere. If Russia wins gold in Sochi the fans would have lost their minds. Grow up you say your a Canadian citizen our hockey culture should be pretty damn easy to understand.

Well said MAN! Blaming the crowd for cheering :shakehead, I'll file that under dumb and dumber, and that's pulling my punches BIG TIME...

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
And what do you think about the 'Social Status' of teams on the Tsn.ca website? Russia was placed 9th out of 10, with only Germany behind them, despite Russia being the 2nd most skilled team and the only one capable of giving the Canadians a hard time. So this 'Social status' is basically idiotic, since it reflects nothing - it has nothing to do with the actual skill of the players. And you mean to say that this is not humiliating the Russian nation?

Denmark was #2.

Social status is referring to how many tweets there were.

You really have to calm down about this crap.

Next you're going to get mad about the IHWC.net power rankings.

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada
Looks like an accident to me. Reckless and stupid of course.

Me too, hes not looking at the crowd or anything, i did the exact same thing with a glove club, tried to throw it down the fairway after a terrible tee shot, i ended up throwing it hard left over my buddies head, almost identical to what the Russian player did. Doesnt make it acceptable behaviour but **** happens.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
Anyway, to all Canadians here - I've said multiple times that I do not wish to continue arguing, yet you have continued to hack away at my previous posts -

Canada celebrated, granted - and the Russians would have done the same (not sure if at that intensity, but they would have of course also been happy for their team). Now, you have to realize what can be pretty annoying for a Russian when watching the Tsn transmission:

1) They only talk about the Canadian team - they spend about an hour before every game telling you everything about how amazing all the players are, how every line functions to 100% efficiency, how they're going to get the gold medal, etc. They heap mountains of praise on the Canadian players, but recognize almost none of the achievements of the opposing team. It seems they've won the tournament before it already began, and even though Canada is a very strong team, they do not always win. If you watch Russian transmissions, they generally have no pre-game antics and take you straight to the game. You'll never see Russian commentators 'raving' about their team, even if they're very good.

2) The 'Social rankings' on Tsn were ridiculous - what kind of political garbage is that? Placing Russia 9th - now that is unsportsmanlike, since true athletes respect skill and ability, and not 'popular reputation' - if everything went by popular reputation, the world would be a dark place.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
BlitzSnipe said:
1) They only talk about the Canadian team - they spend about an hour before every game telling you everything about how amazing all the players are, how every line functions to 100% efficiency, how they're going to get the gold medal, etc. They heap mountains of praise on the Canadian players, but recognize almost none of the achievements of the opposing team. It seems they've won the tournament before it already began, and even though Canada is a very strong team, they do not always win. If you watch Russian transmissions, they generally have no pre-game antics and take you straight to the game. You'll never see Russian commentators 'raving' about their team, even if they're very good.

They have pre-game antics because they want to milk the advertising revenue.

The popularity of the tournament in Canada was basically created by TSN back when they didn't have NHL hockey coverage and the WJCs was the only hockey coverage they have.

I agree that they go over the top, but that happens every year, whether the team wins or not.

2) The 'Social rankings' on Tsn were ridiculous - what kind of political garbage is that? Placing Russia 9th - now that is unsportsmanlike, since true athletes respect skill and ability, and not 'popular reputation' - if everything went by popular reputation, the world would be a dark place.

No one placed anything.

It's just a ranking of the number of tweets.

It has nothing to do with reputation of how good each team is.

It's how often they were tweeted about in some manner.

Do you really think Canadians believe that Denmark is the second best hockey team in the world?

Or do you think it has more to do with the fact that they obtained their first victory at the WJCs in their history and people were talking about it?

I don't even know what the formula is for identifying the tweets.

Adanac

Dec 15, 2013
I mean...Russians were somewhat immature. But really if you think that absurd hitting (I guess they call it physical play here) and engravating that was done to the Russians in a legal matter inside the game is fine...then you should be fine with taunting the bench. It's also legal and also as immature.

Throwing the stick was unnecessary and stupid. It happens. Don't want to defend the guy, but I can somewhat understand the frusturation. Obviously he should not had done that. If IHF comes up with a penalty I would be fine with it.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
That's funny, because I remember how irritated Canadians were when Russia came back from 3-0 deficit and then got drunk on a place or something and everyone thought Russians were disrespectful pigs. Made it to the papers as well. I guess you can't have it both ways...pick one.

Some people thought it was odd for underagers to be drinking.

I agree that it's ridiculous criticism.

In Russia, public drunkenness and taunting is socially acceptable.

In Canada, an hour of patriotic pre-game coverage, hitting before and after the whistle, and fans cheering in the stands is socially acceptable.

Different strokes for different folks.

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
Anyway, to all Canadians here - I've said multiple times that I do not wish to continue arguing, yet you have continued to hack away at my previous posts -

Canada celebrated, granted - and the Russians would have done the same (not sure if at that intensity, but they would have of course also been happy for their team). Now, you have to realize what can be pretty annoying for a Russian when watching the Tsn transmission:

To the first bolded part ...Simple solution, change the channel or put it on mute...

Secondly, and this may come as a shocking wake up call for some: The world already is a dark place and its getting darker by the hour...But its not those revelers luxuriating in their ostensibly inalienable and god given rights to express unmitigated joy, whenever the spirit moves them, which make it thus...It’s those armed and oh so violent upholders of so-called Civilized Behavior...

OH CANADA BAByyyyyyyy

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
It's kinda funny that some and I say some posters here are going on about how unclassy the Canadian fans were celebrating Canada's win when one of the biggest cheers was for the Slovakian goalie Godla who won goaltender of the tournament. To me it seems like just a bunch of sour grapes from certain posters.

These threads just turn into a big pissing match each time when we should look back on a very good gold medal game where in the end the better team won, russia as always fought until the very end and could have won but didn't and why wouldn't the fans in the stands celebrate the Canadian win with as much fervour as they did. TSN is a Canadian sports network so why wouldn't they gear their broadcast towards the Canadian team. They also covered pretty much every other game from other countries along the way.

The russian players were understandebly upset and the stick throwing into the stands was stupid but emotion got better of the kid. In the handshake line I also saw a good deal of sportsmanship from both the russian and Canadian sides.

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
That's funny, because I remember how irritated ( SOME ) Canadians were when Russia came back from 3-0 deficit and then got drunk on a place or something and everyone thought Russians were disrespectful pigs. Made it to the papers as well. I guess you can't have it both ways...pick one.

Yeah, and SOME people complained when our gals in vancouver 2010 celebrated their victory by smoking unlit cigars, and hoisting a couple of beers, inside the arena no less , and one gal ( from Quebec where she was of legal drinking age ) the same girl who scored the winning goal, had the unmitigated gall to get her pic taken, circa centre ice, with both in her hands...Whatashocker :amazed:

For the record, I was NOT one of those prudish people complaining...And if u check this thread ( although I think many of my comments were deleted for bringing up 1972 etc ) u'll see that I was not one of the people complaining about the stick throwing incident either. If memory serves, my only comment was...

Boyz will be Boyz...plus our Boyz have not always been choir Boyz either, or words to that affect...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad