Gold Cup 21

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
With a full Canadian side, we have every chance of qualifying for the World Cup. This tournament showed me how good guys like Eustaqiao and Buchanan and Miller are.

Outplayed Mexico in the 2nd half, too bad we came up short at the end.

McDavid is too whiny

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
They do a homophobic chant every opposing teams goal kick. This has been going for decades and they continue to do it because Concacaf never delivers effective punishments
Ahh, of course. The p**o thing.

They lost two home crowd games for that, but on a technicality it will be the women playing in front of nobody so the men don’t suffer in September. Maybe that gets fixed now.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Ahh, of course. The p**o thing.

They lost two home crowd games for that, but on a technicality it will be the women playing in front of nobody so the men don’t suffer in September. Maybe that gets fixed now.

It'll never get fixed, Concacaf and FIFA simply don't care. These "procedures" that they implemented is just window dressing, nothing will change until the punishments are severe. And I'm talking like severe point deductions in qualifying or even banned from tournaments.

Subban signed e5

Jun 21, 2012
Tajon Buchanan had to disable commenting on his social media. Doesn’t take much of an imagination to figure out why. Probably more of an indictment on social media but really unfortunate to say the least.
Yeah, I saw some screenshots he got a ton of racist comments, its absolutely disgusting. I don't even like the American team but I hope they absolutely smash Mexico.

Reactions: Deku and Tuggy

Joufreau

Jan 10, 2013
Ottawa
If this tournament doesn't have you believing in the Canadians you need to get your eyes checked. Can't wait to see the world cup qualifying when all the teams are carrying stronger rosters. Feel like Canada are the favorite to join Mexico & USA in the top 3 of the Octagon at this point.

Conceding in the 99th minute or whatever it was, how heartbreaking. Concacaf got put on notice last night.

Last point, what an embarrassment the Mexican supporters are. Having to stop that game in the 88th minute because of homophobic chants is just incomprehensible. Cmon Mexico, be better...

ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland
Do they go to many football matches in the Bible Belt?

giphy.webp

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
US needs to start Zardes over Dike on Sunday. I want Dike to take the reins ASAP, but he's just off this tournament. Perhaps its fatigue or he's hampered by an injury, but he hasn't taken advantage of the opportunity. Still would love to see him playing with Pulisic and Reyna. The lack of true wing options in this squad may be playing a part as well.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
Tajon Buchanan had to disable commenting on his social media. Doesn’t take much of an imagination to figure out why. Probably more of an indictment on social media but really unfortunate to say the least.

I did see a screenshot of two little trolls implying racist statements to Buchanan and their fans not cosigning the bullshit one literally asked 'is everything okay at home?' In spanish. I mean I wouldn't call the action of two losers living in their basement as the fan base at the stadium or wherever. They always support other smaller central American/Caribbean nations before the US and Canada do any day of the week and you never really hear of incident in Liga mx where a loooot of black players including their own make a career.

It still sucks but I wouldn't say it's a recurring problem. At least to my knowledge

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I missed the game but I saw the tweet from hoillet.

Hedman has done an excellent job of creating a culture of pride and a brotherhood while wearing the maple leaf.

The program has gone from nobody wanting anything to do with it to guys leaving it all on the pitch emotionally and physically for each other.

It's never going to be easy breaking through the Concacaf superpowers for issues not in their control, but they already seem to accept those extra obstacles, and take on the extra challenge instead of complaining about them.

I anticipate some sort of growing pains and Concacaf style heartbreak in 2022 wcq, although I hope I'm wrong, but I'm really excited about where this team is headed for 2026, especially if they can find some more quality at CB.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
US needs to start Zardes over Dike on Sunday. I want Dike to take the reins ASAP, but he's just off this tournament. Perhaps its fatigue or he's hampered by an injury, but he hasn't taken advantage of the opportunity. Still would love to see him playing with Pulisic and Reyna. The lack of true wing options in this squad may be playing a part as well.

What about Hoppe at CF, Lletget at LW, and Williamson replaces Lletget’s spot in central midfield? Zardes might’ve scored that important goal, but he’s limited. I agree that Dike probably shouldn’t start, but I think there’d be a better option than replacing him with Zardes.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
What about Hoppe at CF, Lletget at LW, and Williamson replaces Lletget’s spot in central midfield? Zardes might’ve scored that important goal, but he’s limited. I agree that Dike probably shouldn’t start, but I think there’d be a better option than replacing him with Zardes.

For some reason Berhalter sees Hoppe has sort of an inside winger. I would love to see Hoppe in the middle as the lone CF, but I don't see Berhalter making that kind of change in the final. I fully agree about Gyasi and his abilities, but he has the most experience in these kind of games whether we like it or not.

I would've liked to have seen Gioacchini out wide with Hoppe in the middle to see have those 2 creative attacking players in the final third at some point in this tournament, but that probably made too much sense for Berhalter

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
For some reason Berhalter sees Hoppe has sort of an inside winger. I would love to see Hoppe in the middle as the lone CF, but I don't see Berhalter making that kind of change in the final. I fully agree about Gyasi and his abilities, but he has the most experience in these kind of games whether we like it or not.

I would've liked to have seen Gioacchini out wide with Hoppe in the middle to see have those 2 creative attacking players in the final third at some point in this tournament, but that probably made too much sense for Berhalter

I think he’s only using Hoppe there because we have no winger depth and he’s more capable of playing there than Dike or Zardes.

I like your idea about Gioacchini at LW and Hoppe at CF, but as you said, Gioacchini isn’t going to be starting the final. I was merely trying to offer a plausible alternative to starting Zardes in the final that isn’t too far outside the box of Berhalter tactics. I agree he probably starts Zardes in the final.

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site

Can’t really argue with the changes, actually think all of them are the right decision. I kind of would go Moore I place of Arriola but seeing as he is the captain I’ll give him a pass.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad