Gold Cup 21

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
I’d say the only sub that looked off was Roldan. vines I was worried about but he defended well enough. Busio I thought was really good.

Tryamw

Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
Turner 1 goal in all the games.. Not bad at all and that one was a PK. 0 goals in the run of play..

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't think we played one good game all tournament. I guess you can say we were gritty in this game. Thats about it. And we still managed to beat pretty close to Mexico's best team with almost entirely a group of players that aren't picked for the best 23.

After beating them twice in these circumstances, I think we have now earned the title of top team in CONCACAF. I also think Mexico has hit a lull. Which of their up and coming players are more exciting than Canada's up and coming players? I think Mexico is about five years from being the clear third in the region. Mexico still has their veterans for another few years, but after that I think they are in trouble. Canada needs a few years to build up some more depth that it took us the last 3-4 years to build up. I consider Canada the bigger long-term competitor. By 2026 I think Mexico will be the worst of the hosting teams at the World Cup.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
Mexico is definitely having a crisis in development, there is a reason they are attacking US Youth national team players so hard, it’s because they need them. Outside Lainez, who hasn’t become what he was supposed to, Mexico has no “next wave”.

I believe this last core was built off policy in liga mx that dictated minimum play time for youth. You have to wonder if they start to look at something like that again.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Mexico is definitely having a crisis in development, there is a reason they are attacking US Youth national team players so hard, it’s because they need them. Outside Lainez, who hasn’t become what he was supposed to, Mexico has no “next wave”.

I believe this last core was built off policy in liga mx that dictated minimum play time for youth. You have to wonder if they start to look at something like that again.

You hate to see it

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Props to the referee. Only 29 years old in his first big game of his career and he managed the game very well. Best I’ve seen a USA-Mexico game refereed in a long time. This guy is probably the top official in the region’s biggest games going forward. It’d be nice if CONCACAF finally had some good referees.
I didn’t notice him. Which is the best referee compliment!

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich
Sep 19, 2008
The US brought their B squad and beat everyone.

Good job. :yo:

Mexico was tough but US scored late in ET to seal it. The B squad had a lot of young talent so it was good experience for them. I am hoping to see more of those guys (Hoppe, etc) in the future!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->