Gold Cup 21

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Hoping to see some fresh young USMNT faces flourish in this tournament...Dike, Clark, Busio, Cowell, Hoppe, Williamson to name a few. Winning the tournemnt isn't a must - just hoping to see someone break out and also test out some potential depth options for WCQ.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
perfect timing. euros and copa america will be over when this starts and olympics will not start until late july. im gonna check this out.

predications for each group?

Group a:: Mexico and El Salvador advances.

Groub b: Usa and Canada advances.

Group c: Jamaica and Costa Rica advances.

Group d: Honduras and Qatar advances.

Who is winning gold? I think either Canada or Jamaica. The underdogs.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Mexico and the US won't be bringing their A team to this tournament so who knows. If the US doesn't f*** up their roster selection I like to think they can win this. I wouldn't sleep on Curacao

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think it’ll USA or Mexico. Mexico doesn’t want to lose two in a row to the USA. Martino will likely be fired if he does. USA has a lot of young depth players trying to break into the first team. I think we are better positioned than Mexico to win with our depth players. But if Mexico calls in a few extra regulars, they’ll be the favorites.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Glad Busio is there, he's been great for SKC the past 2 years. Not sure what role he'll play down the road on a full-strength squad, but his versatility in the midfield will help him.

Reactions: Basement Cat

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Expected to see Vines, Zardes, Yuiell, Lewis, Acosta and Roldan, but it still doesn't make it any less disappointing. Those guys just simply aren't cut out for the international level. The defense is one that I don't really have qualms about except I would like to have seen Araujo there, midfield looks meh outside of Busio and Williamson, and forwards are okay. Sucks that Caden Clark had to have his appendix removed because I think this midfield is in desperate need of his creativity.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I’m not expecting much from the US at this tournament. The US roster is underwhelming as @kingsboy11 mentioned. We should still be able to get to the final, but it’s not going to be a team that plays good football.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Canada has also announced their roster. David given the time off, Akinola in and will likely get some good minutes.

No Flores which is unfortunate, would have been an amazing bonus to get him captied.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Canada has also announced their roster. David given the time off, Akinola in and will likely get some good minutes.

No Flores which is unfortunate, would have been an amazing bonus to get him captied.

Going without a few of our Euro based players. David, Borjan, Adekugbe, Sturing, Millar, Wotherspoon. I may be forgetting one or two. Gutierrez is an interesting omission with no Adekugbe ...Did not think we would see Leutwiler again...perhaps Pantemis is not called up to continue his push for the number 1 jersey in Montreal.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Going without a few of our Euro based players. David, Borjan, Adekugbe, Sturing, Millar, Wotherspoon. I may be forgetting one or two. Gutierrez is an interesting omission with no Adekugbe ...Did not think we would see Leutwiler again...perhaps Pantemis is not called up to continue his push for the number 1 jersey in Montreal.
My guess is some of the omissions are simply for rest. Millar just completed his move to FC Basil so my guess is he wants to settle in the city and be there for the full training camp.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
Expected to see Vines, Zardes, Yuiell, Lewis, Acosta and Roldan, but it still doesn't make it any less disappointing. Those guys just simply aren't cut out for the international level. The defense is one that I don't really have qualms about except I would like to have seen Araujo there, midfield looks meh outside of Busio and Williamson, and forwards are okay. Sucks that Caden Clark had to have his appendix removed because I think this midfield is in desperate need of his creativity.

Looks like Araujo asked out to keep his options open (may not see a pathway to a starting spot). I dont mind the MLS vets (those that atleast play for there MLS teams). Not many wingers on the team, not a huge surprise all of our best wingers were on the Nations cup team. Berhalter said Giaconni and Hoppe will play wing in this tournament (not sure i like that). As long gets the majority of the starts at center forward im fine. I do like the center backs they've called in as i think with Long out they need to start figuring out who they can count on after Brooks.

US always seems to have this problem with the gold cup where there are about 5 guys that should be called in but aren't because they either are switching clubs or they want to make sure they stay with there team during preseason.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
Good choice to manage player minutes. Way more crucial is WCQ qualifying in Fall anyway. Would have preferred to try to cap tie as many dual nats as possible i.e. Flores. That seems to be the name of the game in international football....

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
liam miller, wotherspoon, atiba, flores, david, arfield, borjan, jebbison, adekugbe, sturing....so many players missing. thats a shame. canada dont have the depth. with a best possible squad i see canada as the 3rd strongest team in gold cup...but now its way below that with all players missing. will the missed players be in the wc qualifer? i hope that for you guys.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Cavallini - Larin
Davies - Kaye - Eustaquio - Osorio - Hoilett
Kennedy - Vitoria - Henry
Crepaue

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
liam miller, wotherspoon, atiba, flores, david, arfield, borjan, jebbison, adekugbe, sturing....so many players missing. thats a shame. canada dont have the depth. with a best possible squad i see canada as the 3rd strongest team in gold cup...but now its way below that with all players missing. will the missed players be in the wc qualifer? i hope that for you guys.
I think much of this was planned. We still have a team strong enough to compete. The group game against the US will be interesting.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

Didn't Hutchinson retire from international footall? Its such a shame that his talent was wasted on such bad teams over the years. Is he still good?

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Didn't Hutchinson retire from international footall? Its such a shame that his talent was wasted on such bad teams over the years. Is he still good?
Atiba is still a beast as he started pretty much every game for Besiktas in a championship season. He is taking a well earned rest and will probably see how he feels heading into WC qualifiers.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Atiba is still a beast as he started pretty much every game for Besiktas in a championship season. He is taking a well earned rest and will probably see how he feels heading into WC qualifiers.

At his age, it would be really selfless of him to suit up for the qualifiers, knowing that if they actually did qualify, there are no guarantees that his level of play would warrant him to be in the rotation for the WC final.

He always seemed to answer the bell for Canada despite the program being a joke, so I'll be rooting for him.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
At his age, it would be really selfless of him to suit up for the qualifiers, knowing that if they actually did qualify, there are no guarantees that his level of play would warrant him to be in the rotaton.

He always seemed to answer the bell for Canada despite the program being a joke, so I'll be rooting for him.
He looks after himself so well i wouldn't put it past him to be a part of the qualifiers...and if they play extremely well. ....he may get a spot on the 23 or 26 player roster..whatever the number they go with at WC 2022.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->