Olympics: Gold and Bronze matchups!

Elias40

Jan 3, 2020
I find it kind of ironic that some claim Finland doesn't have depth when they can afford to have the entire KHL's leading goalscorer sitting in the stands.

Or perhaps it's a sign that those who measure the success of a team based on raw firepower are pretty far afield.

This is exactly the reason why Czechs regularly cannot choose the really best team. They primarily monitor the number of player points in their club, or prefer older players due to experience. It's like playing a manager and taking the most scoring players. But you have to choose different types of players for different situations in the match, take advantage of the fact that some players have some history of joint matches and there is some chemistry between them. Because that's exactly what makes a difference between a great and a winning team. Each player has their role in the match before the first match and the coach only determines who will go on the ice. This is what I appreciate about Jalonen, that he will keep Antilla in his team, even though he knows that he will not have a lot of points and he will not even add as much hockey. Nevertheless, Jalonen is an important player and a link between him and the team. The Slovaks have already understood this, so they are not afraid to take young players or players like Regenda. Unfortunately for Slovakia, they had to take Ramsay to show them this.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
So he stays at WHC Finland then? That's almost like a home tournament for you Swedes as well. I mean some Swedish fans will travel with a ship so it's going to feel like home games most likely. Lost opportunity if he ruins your success there.
He is going to stay and ruin our success there.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Nope. Sweden has done bad since 2018. We are in need of medals aswell. Also Slovakia is not a very weak nation hockey nation. They where top 6 from 1994-2012. And since then still good, 8-10 in the world. And look at the prospects they piss out.
The prospects they piss out? They have a very promising forward in this upcoming draft (who is on the Olympic roster). Other than that...

Currently the best Slovakian in the NHL is Tomas Jurco, lol. Zdeno Chara is in the Top 3 and he's 44 and washed.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
He is going to stay and ruin our success there.

Time to fire him then and use some additional $$$ for a better coach, if they are willing. Otherwise they should fire the guy or people who hires the NT coach.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
Finland's taking Gold, they've always been the 'underdogs' and always go away with Gold. Team ROC achieved its maximum at this tournament, Silver won't be bad for them I think. Of course, they'll try to win but the Finns are just too disciplined and strategic (defensive).

Reactions: Mestaruus

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Time to fire him then and use some additional $$$ for a better coach, if they are willing. Otherwise they should fire the guy or people who hires the NT coach.
We have a good coach coming in from next season. Sam Hallam, in charge at Växjö.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Finland's taking Gold, they've always been the 'underdogs' and always go away with Gold. Team ROC achieved its maximum at this tournament, Silver won't be bad for them I think. Of course, they'll try to win but the Finns are just too disciplined and strategic (defensive).
Finland is the -0.5 favorite.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
The Slovaks played the most positive hockey of anyone in the final 4 so it's a shame they did not get through.

Russia and Finland will probably be similar to the 98 final with the Czechs and Russians where everyone is happy to dump, change and play 5 back..

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don

Finland arent the underdogs at this tourney.

We left most of our offensive players at home to strategically build a team similar to Finland, but we're not gonna out-Finland Finland. Their defenders are also fantastic at this level.

Me thinks if Russia is gonna win we'll need a monster game from Gusev, Shipachev and Fedotov. Who knows, maybe Grigorenko will finally decide to show up.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011

I'm a Finn but I'll say that Jukka Jalonen has to go to make it fair for everyone. The guy is a godlike gold finger. Some NHL team should give him a chance already but they have that buddy circle of coaches there.

Reactions: Czechboy

Puck Dogg

Puck life
Mar 13, 2006
Russia and Finland will probably be similar to the 98 final with the Czechs and Russians where everyone is happy to dump, change and play 5 back..

How the game starts pretty much sets the tone for entire matchup. If there's early goal the team behind has to take more risks, which in turn could open the game and lead to more scoring. The longer the game remains 0-0 the more we'll see tight defending, dump and chase and grinding in the corners.

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
I heard Biden say that Finland will invade Russia on sunday and take back Karelia (the land that was taken from them in the 1940s ) . I root for that. God time to do it since Russsa has all their military around the Ukraine right now.
Also Petsamo

Reactions: Snauen

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
In the final I hope they both will lose. In the bronze game I'm all for the underdogs. It looks like Slovaks really want to win a medal in hockey while Swedes mostly don't care.

Lartsaman

Aug 2, 2018
Finland
I have one request to my fellow finnish fans. Leave the politics off of this conversation. Its not about Ukraine, Putin, winter war or whatever. Lets try to enjoy some good hockey. Finland-Russia final is the best match-up you can hope for as a finnish fan. I hope we get the revenge for the 2014 WCH final.

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
I doubt Finland will take any military action, they are a pretty neutral country and not even in NATO. They don't spend much or have a strong army. If Finland attempted to invade Russia, the end result would be an expanded Russian border and 500,000 dead Finns.
Your wives boyfriend must be a finn based on your last few posts about Finland :laugh:It's ok man, let's hope for your mental healths sake that ROC wins.

"Nnn-no i actually don't care, i just go from Olympic thread to Olympic thread to talk shite about Finland. Non-NHL Olympics who cares bro i just need to let these delusional finns know that this is nothing bro"

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
I have one request to my fellow finnish fans. Leave the politics off of this conversation. Its not about Ukraine, Putin, winter war or whatever. Lets try to enjoy some good hockey. Finland-Russia final is the best match-up you can hope for as a finnish fan. I hope we get the revenge for the 2014 WCH final.

I agree. This is so typical in Finland-Sweden games. I hope the conversation will be more game-focused and appropriate in next GDT against ROC.

Reactions: jaloviina

member 305909

As I said before, whether Finland wins or loses tomorrow people will remember this match in four years time when as all the medals in other events will be long forgotten.

MoeTheHobo

Jan 24, 2017
I'm not usually a conspiracy theorist but the referee work in that game still has me wearing tin foil hats

Reactions: Mestaruus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad