Post-Game Talk: Going Postal

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Another one. This for the fans. Next time we play the Flames here converge in Ford Hall and area and REFUSE to go through ticket kiosks. Just wait there with placards saying fans will attend the game once its decided that actual calling of the rules on the ice is committed to by NHL officials. have full press in attendance and stage a fan lockout for 30mins or however long it takes. It really is going to take something extraordinarily novel, and blatant, for any attention to really get to this.

Going back over the summer its very apparent the Oilers really handled this all the wrong way. They minimized concern, maintained that McD is OK. The Oilers would have done better to make the NHL stew in juices all summer thinking that this WAS a career ending McDavid injury. Which the Oilers could easily have maintained. The last game of the season injury really was the perfect time to stage that this was far worse than it turned out to be. But the Oilers thought only of selling seats.. Here we are..

The org is handling this all wrong. The Oilers are far too polite and deferring in these matters. Its time to take off the gloves.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
I appreciate you coming out and addressing this matter.

As you say, perhaps it was the repetitive nature of your posts that led me to single you out as one of the two posters participating so vociferously in trashing Draisaitl. I believe it was @Porkleaker that made the comments involving the terms "beer leaguer" and "trash." But you did say something to the effect of "**** you, Draisaitl" or "**** off, Draisaitl." And I have noticed you on other occasions making negative comments about the player. I can look back through the GDT for your exact comments, but it is likely that you likely made 15-20 posts of that nature.

I know that he's sometimes prone to giveaways and bad plays, but I think the positive aspects of his game and his contributions more than make up for the brain farts. I think he gets frustrated and tries to take too much upon himself - he's his own worst enemy in this regard - but that doesn't make it right for people to call him disgusting names or imply his worthlessness.

My main point was that no other fanbase treats their star players in this manner. One player that most people consider a comparable to Draisaitl is Pastrnak. If Pastrnak makes a terrible play, and, since he's human, I'm sure he does from time to time, I highly doubt Boston fans make three pages of comments to the effect of "**** you, Pastrnak," "Pastrnak is garbage," "trade Pastrnak now," etc. They realize how valuable Pastrnak is to their team and that his good far outweighs his bad.

So what is it about Draisaitl specifically that attracts such rage from the fanbase? That's what I still haven't gotten answered here.
Actually Pastrnak was slayed during last years playoff. Boston fans were all over him.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Draisaitl's biggest problem is being played so many minutes a night.

The best way to make mistakes is to be tired.

After 10 days of rest this really isnt a valid excuse.

He is making poor decisions with the puck in the Neutral zone.
It has to stop.

Reactions: Senor Catface

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
I have the utmost respect for McDavid and his unbridled enthusiasm for the game, but sometimes, he should just suck up his pride,and take one for his longevity, in the game .
When he got hit on the knee, he should have fallen to the ice and grabbed his knee.
The whole hockey world, would have stood still for a couple of minutes, Giordano would likely, have been penalized, and suspended.

I know it's not Conner's preferred way, of getting the NHL to take notice of it's extremely flawed officiating, but it might bring attention to this dangerous lack of responsibility, by the NHL..
He should have never attended the all-star game either. Tie it to the documentary and his injury. Can't legitamately compete in the fastest skater.

He has all the cards here but never uses them. He could have Parros' job in a minute if he wanted - its all about revenue.

Reactions: McBeastMode

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
He's going to get tired playing 22+ minutes a night regardless.

Its not an excuse for bad decision making. Its been an issue for him for quite a while now.

He needs to better manage the puck between the blue lines.
Being tired is a weak excuse. If he is tired then dump the puck in...do not throw it into the middle of the ice trying to force a play. Its dumb.

So its not fatigue...its just a bad habit he has to own and commit to changing if this team wants to win.
Regarding his ice time...it will naturally come down as he remains on the 2nd line.
Its not really an issue at this point.

Last edited:

Oilers 322

Oct 26, 2016
Edmonton
Its not an excuse for bad decision making. Its been an issue for him for quite a while now.

He needs to better manage the puck between the blue lines.
Being tired is a weak excuse. If he is tired then dump the puck in...don not throw it into the middle of the ice trying to force a play. Its dumb.

So its not fatigue...its just a bad habit he has to own and commit to changing if this team wants to win.

It was the same early last season and then he picked it up and went on a tear in 2019. He needs to go back to being a monster on the board and stop forcing plays through the middle of the ice for a low reward. I still think this bad game is overblown as he has been playing quite good since moving to his own line.

Reactions: Duke74

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It was the same early last season and then he picked it up and went on a tear in 2019. He needs to go back to being a monster on the board and stop forcing plays through the middle of the ice for a low reward. I still think this bad game is overblown as he has been playing quite good since moving to his own line.

I agree...he needs to stay with the game that ultimately brings him and the team success.

Also...I dont care if he has a bad game now and then but I do care when I see a pattern of bad decision making.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Don’t care about class and respect. I hope someone Torres’ Giordano MOD. Suck on that CP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ohheyhemsky

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
Don’t care about class and respect. I hope someone Torres’ Giordano MOD. Suck on that CP.

You'll be Number One on HFlame's shit list with a comment like that.

giphy.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Senor Catface

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Not sure why there is so much negativity after this one in here. Ya, we all wanted 2 points in that one and we deserved a better fate. But this was the first game back after a 10 day break. A very emotional game where we gifted them one early and were always chasing. The outcome was unfortunate but we played really well considering the circumstances and we walked out with 1 point at least. I'll take it and move on. The team will gel better against the Blues of Friday and will have a better game on Saturday. This game could easily have gone either way. Smith wasn't the best goalie out there but he played well and gave us a chance to win with HUGE saves at important times. He def wasn't the reason we lost. In fact the only reason the flames won was b/c of Rittich who probably had one of his best games of his year, and yet still allowed 3 goals. The first PP goal, they put the puck on the net and banged in a rebound. Then never tried that again. This is where the team confuses me. Passing it aound wasn't working so get it on net and make them scramble and maybe one goes in.

Loved that Nuge got a short beating on doofus. The staged fight with Kassian was garbage and that should not be over IMO. Ratboy tried to get in an early shot and then turtled again so really Kass didn't get in any good shots. I wonder who convinced ratboy that he needed to drop them? The rest of his team probably started calling him a p1ssy as well.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Not much argument about it. They literally hired the dumbest sack of human excrement that applied for this job.

He's certainly not dumb. But he's stubborn, and with his own specific viewpoints in relation to how the game should be played. He seems more old school in perhaps believing that players that expose themselves more to hits are part of the problem. I don't agree with this as its blame the victim sentiment.

That said a small moment happened in the Flames game that was great and that got hardly any notice. Tkachuk steps up to hit Neal and Neal raises up his elbow and gives him a solid right in the face. With Tkachuk barrelling in at his full momentum. There was no call. Tkachuk was as impacted by that elbow as much as any of the Kass fights imo.

That's how you have to deal with players like that and its an older tactic that seems forgotten in young players. Ryan Smyth, Glenn Anderson played the game with this motto. If you come at my head with a hit you're going to be gargling wood for a week. Get the stick up, get the elbow up. Take the sucker out. That's how you deal with reckless charges and head hunting.

Its impossible though to do too much about knee hunting, I mean you can, but I don't like that technique either as its knee for knee.

Reactions: noeticfuzz

Sanchez

Jan 18, 2006
Flames general manager Brad Treliving sounded off Friday on people who have claimed Calgary defenceman Marc Giordano purposely attempted to land a knee-on-knee hit on Edmonton Oilers captain Connor McDavid during Wednesday's game.
“Any talk that there’s a malicious intent on the Gio hit (on McDavid) is complete garbage,” Treliving told reporters.

Calgary Flames' Treliving: Talk of malicious intent by Giordano on Oilers' McDavid hit 'garbage' - TSN.ca

Hey Treliving, your player is garbage for playing this way.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
The smartest thing Kassian did was drop the gloves when Tkachuk wanted him to. Now he thinks it's over.

Run him like he ran you next game, Kass. Show off that new contract.

Stick out your hip and 'interfere' with Gio.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Flames general manager Brad Treliving sounded off Friday on people who have claimed Calgary defenceman Marc Giordano purposely attempted to land a knee-on-knee hit on Edmonton Oilers captain Connor McDavid during Wednesday's game.
“Any talk that there’s a malicious intent on the Gio hit (on McDavid) is complete garbage,” Treliving told reporters.

Calgary Flames' Treliving: Talk of malicious intent by Giordano on Oilers' McDavid hit 'garbage' - TSN.ca

I want to read it the same condensed way.;

Malicious Giordano is garbage. ;)

its the Calgary way. Doesn't matter how many times he's done this or slewfooted players. In Calgary they just consider those solid hockey plays because they never get penalties for it.

Reactions: Sanchez

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

Pretty much expected. They use the media quite well to their advantage. Anybody breathes on the hobbit or their other soft as butter players and they go to the media with their whining. As distasteful as that is, it appears to effective, as they are one of the leagues darlings. Contrast that with our use of the media and what being admirable gets us. We never seem to publicly complain about the garbage officiating that Connor has to put up with, we don't complain when the same guy that injured his knee once tries to do it again, even though our normally calm player is going irate on the bench, and with good reason. Being the nice guy gets you squat. Need to start doing what the other teams do, which I really hate to even suggest, but that appears to be the way to get the leagues attention.

noeticfuzz

Nov 27, 2011
That said a small moment happened in the Flames game that was great and that got hardly any notice. Tkachuk steps up to hit Neal and Neal raises up his elbow and gives him a solid right in the face. With Tkachuk barrelling in at his full momentum. There was no call. Tkachuk was as impacted by that elbow as much as any of the Kass fights imo.

Beautiful vet play - knew he was coming and was not going to get posterized - caught that f*** completely off guard and, I'll give the refs credit, they saw him take the big run so I think they had a bit of a giggle at the result - you got to have to be prepared for the repercussions if you are going to play like that...

On that note, and maybe it has been said, when has the turn your back and jump/launch become a legal hit - did it to Kassian twice, tried it on bear - someone needs to cross check him in the back of the head..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad