Post-Game Talk: Going Postal

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
I'm not overly upset over Rittich's stick toss.

It could have been worse...the entire team could have done a storm surge knock off, on Oilers ice.
I actually liked it. Emotion is good in hockey, too many times we coach the fun out of players.
I wish it was not against us though.

Reactions: McFuhryous

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..
I have the utmost respect for McDavid and his unbridled enthusiasm for the game, but sometimes, he should just suck up his pride,and take one for his longevity, in the game .
When he got hit on the knee, he should have fallen to the ice and grabbed his knee.
The whole hockey world, would have stood still for a couple of minutes, Giordano would likely, have been penalized, and suspended.

I know it's not Conner's preferred way, of getting the NHL to take notice of it's extremely flawed officiating, but it might bring attention to this dangerous lack of responsibility, by the NHL..

Reactions: Mc5RingsAndABeer

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
@ohheyhemsky was one of the two posters uttering these comments last night. I don't follow the particular poster closely, but he was constantly ragging on Draisaitl last night along with the other poster that I mentioned. Maybe he's a quality poster in other respects, but he definitely took part in the wolf pack last night.

Maybe I do go a bit far, but I just don't see a logical explanation for the amount of heat this player takes. Most of the posters on here seem like good people and, for the most part, relatively intelligent, but, as the cliche goes, the bad apples can spoil the bunch. And just like Draisaitl, the good posters can have bad moments as well. Me included.

So it's perfectly acceptable to call him trash, garbage, a beer leaguer, etc. ?

Go back and read the GDT. There are some real gems in there.

Eh, I don't mind being called out for my posts, but only if there's a need. If anything, maybe the repetition of my posts could be referenced, but you do realize that the comments are live and attached to the game play involved right? Draisaitl had an awful game last night, compounded by forced passes turning into grade A chances against, horrible decision making on the power play with his back hand passes ending up on a Flames stick and not playing a structured game outside of individual efforts that ultimately ended up in nothing.

You're saying you don't see a logical explanation for the heat he's taking, so I must ask, are you watching box scores or are you watching the games? Because even though you used two examples in Porkleaker and I as the only two posters uttering these sentiments, neither Porkleaker nor I have the influence on these boards to create a hive-mind mentality. Considering this, it's clear that these attitudes about Draisaitl's play was felt among individuals in a forum setting. Using the adage of bad apples is insinuating that board members cannot think for themselves, and I'm not sure how long you've been around here, but trust me - no one is changing anyone else's mind, or converting already held beliefs around these parts.

Again, don't mind being singled out, because I was commenting on the actions of Draisaitl throughout the night and game. However, can you please cite where I used the words trash, garbage and a beer leaguer? If you're using generalized examples, then maybe stay away from using the term "slander," if we're not being entirely semantic.

Back to Draisaitl - he's not playing his game and it's disappointing. He's making, as aforementioned, forced plays that are ending up going the other way more often than towards the opposing net. He's losing battles on the boards, he's making individual rushes and extends his shifts because of it, and he's not playing smart. There isn't much more to attaching logic to visuals here, and that's all I can really do to provide the explanation needed. He had two points last night, but might as well have put two pucks into his own net alone with giveaways that Smith bailed him out on.

Garbo Man

Meh
Oct 15, 2017
Sherwood Park
She’s the most homer clueless person in a sports world that includes Eric Francis. The worst part is she’s not even good at her job, if she was I could understand why she’s employed at least. Remember the Vegas game when Renee Young tried to play by play a hockey game for the first time ever and it was the most atrocious thing to hear?That’s Cassie Campbell every time she talks.

The thing about Renee Young though is i felt bad for her because she probably has no clue wtf is going on on the ice and they kinda just threw her into the fire. Was it bad? Oh f*** yea! Would i rather listen to Renee Young call hockey than listen to Cassie Campbell talk about how amazing the Flames are regardless of how well they're doing? Oh f*** yea...

Reactions: Emotive

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Eh, I don't mind being called out for my posts, but only if there's a need. If anything, maybe the repetition of my posts could be referenced, but you do realize that the comments are live and attached to the game play involved right? Draisaitl had an awful game last night, compounded by forced passes turning into grade A chances against, horrible decision making on the power play with his back hand passes ending up on a Flames stick and not playing a structured game outside of individual efforts that ultimately ended up in nothing.

You're saying you don't see a logical explanation for the heat he's taking, so I must ask, are you watching box scores or are you watching the games? Because even though you used two examples in Porkleaker and I as the only two posters uttering these sentiments, neither Porkleaker nor I have the influence on these boards to create a hive-mind mentality. Considering this, it's clear that these attitudes about Draisaitl's play was felt among individuals in a forum setting. Using the adage of bad apples is insinuating that board members cannot think for themselves, and I'm not sure how long you've been around here, but trust me - no one is changing anyone else's mind, or converting already held beliefs around these parts.

Again, don't mind being singled out, because I was commenting on the actions of Draisaitl throughout the night and game. However, can you please cite where I used the words trash, garbage and a beer leaguer? If you're using generalized examples, then maybe stay away from using the term "slander," if we're not being entirely semantic.

Back to Draisaitl - he's not playing his game and it's disappointing. He's making, as aforementioned, forced plays that are ending up going the other way more often than towards the opposing net. He's losing battles on the boards, he's making individual rushes and extends his shifts because of it, and he's not playing smart. There isn't much more to attaching logic to visuals here, and that's all I can really do to provide the explanation needed. He had two points last night, but might as well have put two pucks into his own net alone with giveaways that Smith bailed him out on.

I appreciate you coming out and addressing this matter.

As you say, perhaps it was the repetitive nature of your posts that led me to single you out as one of the two posters participating so vociferously in trashing Draisaitl. I believe it was @Porkleaker that made the comments involving the terms "beer leaguer" and "trash." But you did say something to the effect of "f*** you, Draisaitl" or "f*** off, Draisaitl." And I have noticed you on other occasions making negative comments about the player. I can look back through the GDT for your exact comments, but it is likely that you likely made 15-20 posts of that nature.

I know that he's sometimes prone to giveaways and bad plays, but I think the positive aspects of his game and his contributions more than make up for the brain farts. I think he gets frustrated and tries to take too much upon himself - he's his own worst enemy in this regard - but that doesn't make it right for people to call him disgusting names or imply his worthlessness.

My main point was that no other fanbase treats their star players in this manner. One player that most people consider a comparable to Draisaitl is Pastrnak. If Pastrnak makes a terrible play, and, since he's human, I'm sure he does from time to time, I highly doubt Boston fans make three pages of comments to the effect of "f*** you, Pastrnak," "Pastrnak is garbage," "trade Pastrnak now," etc. They realize how valuable Pastrnak is to their team and that his good far outweighs his bad.

So what is it about Draisaitl specifically that attracts such rage from the fanbase? That's what I still haven't gotten answered here.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
I appreciate you coming out and addressing this matter.

As you say, perhaps it was the repetitive nature of your posts that led me to single you out as one of the two posters participating so vociferously in trashing Draisaitl. I believe it was @Porkleaker that made the comments involving the terms "beer leaguer" and "trash." But you did say something to the effect of "**** you, Draisaitl" or "**** off, Draisaitl." And I have noticed you on other occasions making negative comments about the player. I can look back through the GDT for your exact comments, but it is likely that you likely made 15-20 posts of that nature.

I know that he's sometimes prone to giveaways and bad plays, but I think the positive aspects of his game and his contributions more than make up for the brain farts. I think he gets frustrated and tries to take too much upon himself - he's his own worst enemy in this regard - but that doesn't make it right for people to call him disgusting names or imply his worthlessness.

My main point was that no other fanbase treats their star players in this manner. One player that most people consider a comparable to Draisaitl is Pastrnak. If Pastrnak makes a terrible play, and, since he's human, I'm sure he does from time to time, I highly doubt Boston fans make three pages of comments to the effect of "**** you, Pastrnak," "Pastrnak is garbage," "trade Pastrnak now," etc. They realize how valuable Pastrnak is to their team and that his good far outweighs his bad.

So what is it about Draisaitl specifically that attracts such rage from the fanbase? That's what I still haven't gotten answered here.

His play.

It's fairly common among other players on this board as well. Things like, "f*** off Draisaitl," and "another giveaway," are attached directly to his play on the ice. I'm not sure if or why you're looking for something more here, other than his play warrants the criticism. Just like everyone else.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I have the utmost respect for McDavid and his unbridled enthusiasm for the game, but sometimes, he should just suck up his pride,and take one for his longevity, in the game .
When he got hit on the knee, he should have fallen to the ice and grabbed his knee.
The whole hockey world, would have stood still for a couple of minutes, Giordano would likely, have been penalized, and suspended.

I know it's not Conner's preferred way, of getting the NHL to take notice of it's extremely flawed officiating, but it might bring attention to this dangerous lack of responsibility, by the NHL..

If that happened then the game would have turned into the movie Slapshot and it would have been glorious minus the 15 suspensions after the game.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
A few things:

1. I think I dislike Giordano more than Tkachuk now. Tkaturtle is agitating but Giordano is plain dirty.

2. Larsson has no place on this team. I hope he manages to prove me wrong, but I think he should be traded for a winger or an upgrade.

3. Holland needs to trade for a winger for McDavid ASAP. I like Benson and think he deserves a call-up, but I'm not convinced he'll be a fit on the top-line.

1. They're both scum but i agree. It's sad because they're outstanding players. Tkachuk is more sneaky dirty and his targeting of Kassian was trying to protect his teammates and settle Kassian down. Tkachuk is a kid, Giordano has been doing this for a long time at an age where he should know better. The real culprit here is the NHL. The NHL is the worst run major sports league, the biggest goons in the game are the guys running the game. I love the battles and wars all over the ice, big hits, and hard hockey but the refs and DOPS are letting things get out of control. They need to punish guys properly and not "manage" games, it's a joke. Nuge took a crosscheck to the face and got jumped for christs sakes and the penalties were evened up. I don't know WTF these guys are seeing.

2. This team can still use Larsson. His toughness and ability to play lots of minutes isn't as easy to find as one would hope. It's tough because i agree Larsson needs to be upgraded, ideally with a top pairing guy. The problem is an upgrade would cost a ton and with the expansion draft coming up the Oilers are already going to struggle protecting the D core from potentially a major loss. If they don't find an upgrade then the team is relying on two of, Bear (Rookie), Bouchard (Rookie), Persson(Rookie), or Benning to play top 4 minutes unless you play Russell or Jones (Rookie) on their off side. I think relying on Bear is fine and that the vets in Russell and Benning are good players but neither vet can be expected to succeed in top 4 minutes and relying on another rookie to play top 4 is obviously risky and doesn't leave you with a lot of injury insurance.

3. Holland has done really well with what he's been given. It may not be a bad idea to let some guys develop into roles and try to make Neal remotely tradeable as a stopgap given the expansion draft coming up and the cap issues. The Oilers have another tough year in terms of dead cap for next year and currently only one truly bad contract beyond this year in Neal. Given the need for cheap players on this team and with the expansion draft coming up it may be more prudent to draft well and pan for gold by giving young guys (Yamamoto, Benson), Euros (Haas, Nygard), Reclamations (Kassian, 20-21's Duclair) and flawed offensive types (Neal, Gagner, Jurco) opportunities.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
His play.

It's fairly common among other players on this board as well. Things like, "**** off Draisaitl," and "another giveaway," are attached directly to his play on the ice. I'm not sure if or why you're looking for something more here, other than his play warrants the criticism. Just like everyone else.

Sorry, but I think that in the bigger picture, his play does not warrant the level of criticism levied against him in the GDT. Maybe people get caught up in the heat of the moment and overreact to the odd dumb play that he makes, but when you consider those plays in light of what he's done this year, I don't think it makes sense. You mention other players, and yes, they receive some criticism. But two points 1) most of the other players that receive this treatment are lower-level players like Khaira and 2) Draisaitl takes a lot of heat on these boards every game regardless of his play. It's like people are microanalyzing every move he makes and one small mistake somehow warrants three consecutive pages of hate.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Sorry, but I think that in the bigger picture, his play does not warrant the level of criticism levied against him in the GDT. Maybe people get caught up in the heat of the moment and overreact to the odd dumb play that he makes, but when you consider those plays in light of what he's done this year, I don't think it makes sense. You mention other players, and yes, they receive some criticism. But two points 1) most of the other players that receive this treatment are lower-level players like Khaira and 2) Draisaitl takes a lot of heat on these boards every game regardless of his play. It's like people are microanalyzing every move he makes and one small mistake somehow warrants three consecutive pages of hate.

You didn't answer the initial question, which is seemingly more and more important here: do you watch the games, or do you watch the box scores? Draisaitl has clearly been overplayed, which you can blame the coaching staff for, but overextending his shifts, hero rushes without support at the end of his shift causing zero back check or ill-timed line changes as well as lazy passes causing the play to go the other way are his own fault.

The reason he's being watched so closely is because of the level of play he's shown and is capable of, and because of his choices on ice to do the opposite. And also, look at context here. 60+ pages for a game, and Draisaitl is back hand passing passes directly to other players for grade A chances against, you're going to see a reaction - one that's more than warranted. I wouldn't call that micro analyzing, but instead just call it watching and reacting.

It's funny that you haven't gotten onto a soapbox to display this same protectionism for a player like Mike Smith, considering his role in saving Draisaitl's ass on many occasions but his constant heckling on these boards regardless of his play. You might see that, I, among many other posts watched and reacted to Mike Smith's turnovers and constant over playing of the puck to detrimental effect.

Know that I don't dislike Draisaitl, actually love him as a player, but for the last few months of the season he's warranted every criticism he's received because of his own play. There isn't a gang mentality to go after Draisaitl on these boards and he's not the only person receiving these remarks.

You've chosen a player to defend and that's entirely fine. Calling others out for commenting on the game as they see it is, in my mind unneeded, but to each their own. Just remember that Draisaitl himself wouldn't even agree with you at points this year:

Draisaitl: 'I've been pretty shit lately'

Last edited:

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB

This would be sad to do, but it is reality. Every star needs to do it. If the league wont' take notice you make them. Most star players end up diving at some point in their career. The reality is the NHL does nothing until some one gets hurt. It is the only way for McDavid to counter a crap system.

Gio really is terrible. He has hurt numerous people. I mean it is unreal. Literally a documentary comes out about how much damage he did, then he goes and throws his knee out on the same star player. the league does nothing.... I mean just unreal really.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Players better start watching out for Kneeordano. He's going to get slower and slower every year, and he doesn't give 2 craps. Tripping guys is just a reflex for him. If you're gonna get around him, that leg is coming out. Dude is gonna be rapid firing the legs out in a few years when he's skating at Lucic speed.

Reactions: Daryls Nose

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
You didn't answer the initial question, which is seemingly more and more important here: do you watch the games, or do you watch the box scores? Draisaitl has clearly been overplayed, which you can blame the coaching staff for, but overextending his shifts, hero rushes without support at the end of his shift causing zero back check or ill-timed line changes as well as lazy passes causing the play to go the other way are his own fault.

The reason he's being watched so closely is because of the level of play he's shown and is capable of, and because of his choices on ice to do the opposite. And also, look at context here. 60+ pages for a game, and Draisaitl is back hand passing passes directly to other players for grade A chances against, you're going to see a reaction - one that's more than warranted. I wouldn't call that micro analyzing, but instead just call it watching and reacting.

It's funny that you haven't gotten onto a soapbox to display this same protectionism for a player like Mike Smith, considering his role in saving Draisaitl's ass on many occasions but his constant heckling on these boards regardless of his play. You might see that, I, among many other posts watched and reacted to Mike Smith's turnovers and constant over playing of the puck to detrimental effect.

Know that I don't dislike Draisaitl, actually love him as a player, but for the last few months of the season he's warranted every criticism he's received because of his own play. There isn't a gang mentality to go after Draisaitl on these boards and he's not the only person receiving these remarks.

You've chosen a player to defend and that's entirely fine. Calling others out for commenting on the game as they see it is, in my mind unneeded, but to each their own. Just remember that Draisaitl himself wouldn't even agree with you at points this year:

Draisaitl: 'I've been pretty **** lately'

To answer your question, I watch some of the games and parts of others due to my work schedule. I agree that he went through a stretch of play in December where his production fell and he struggled defensively but I thought that for the most part, he's improved his play since that time. Maybe you disagree with me. It's hard to tell that you love him as a player, because, in my way of thinking, I don't tell players I love to f*** off. But maybe you think differently and you're entitled to that.

You bring up the "hero rushes" and overextension of his shifts. It's interesting that you put a negative spin on those types of plays. To me, that's him trying to make something happen and help his team win the game. He's not trying to be a hero; he's one of two guys on this team that can regularly make things happen, and with the team down by a goal last night, he was trying to get the tying marker. Unfortunately, he lost the puck at the last minute, but that's what people choose to focus on rather than all of the Calgary players he went through. I think the fact that we see things differently just speaks volumes about the differences in human perception.

Reactions: Oilers 322

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
To answer your question, I watch some of the games and parts of others due to my work schedule. I agree that he went through a stretch of play in December where his production fell and he struggled defensively but I thought that for the most part, he's improved his play since that time. Maybe you disagree with me. It's hard to tell that you love him as a player, because, in my way of thinking, I don't tell players I love to **** off. But maybe you think differently and you're entitled to that.

You bring up the "hero rushes" and overextension of his shifts. It's interesting that you put a negative spin on those types of plays. To me, that's him trying to make something happen and help his team win the game. He's not trying to be a hero; he's one of two guys on this team that can regularly make things happen, and with the team down by a goal last night, he was trying to get the tying marker. Unfortunately, he lost the puck at the last minute, but that's what people choose to focus on rather than all of the Calgary players he went through. I think the fact that we see things differently just speaks volumes about the differences in human perception.
Can he vs should he? There's being helpful and there's being selfish. There's being making risky plays at smart times and giving the puck up at stupid times.

He's extending his shifts past his ability and it's causing a detriment. I watch every game, work schedule or not, I PVR and watch. I don't sit and rewind and go over every stride, but due to it I have a standard for certain players - just like everyone else around here.

It isn't perception as much as it's bias, and from what I'm seeing here, you're more inclined to look at positive regardless of the outcome because of your inherent attachment to the player. Again, that's fine and that's sports. However, the difference is I'm not holding back my love when he scores a goal, just like I'm not holding back my disappointment when he makes a lazy play whereas I can assume from this that you'll spill the excitement for a great play but will hold your tongue when it ultimately backfires and ends up in our net.

It goes both ways.

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..
Best picture of the night...
Turtle costume, in the stands..

0rgIxA8.jpg

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

ABSOLUTELY. Stay down for 10-15mins. Long enough for full deliberations and sweat from the situation room and from Parros in attendance. Let Parros experience the full brunt of a home crowd fomenting and reaction to this moment. Make that all occur, and after some knee manipulations etc calmly skate off the ice after Gio has been thrown out of the game and assessed a 5minute major.

Its time for entirely different tactic and it is entirely warranted. That the NHL is too stupid to care for its #1 star is one thing. That the Oilers condone and empower this by doing nothing about it is another.

I really think there needs to be a lot more fan reaction too. Make the vocal reaction so intimidating players might think twice about doing it again and again and again.

But starting with Connor himelf this needs to be dealt with differently. I would even consult with lawyers at this point and with the NHLPA on this player safety issue, which effects all players to some degree ultimately, that the NHL is incompetent at managing player safety. Absolutely inept at it.

Parros was at the bloody game and this happened. Parros was playing for the Ducks when Gio nailed his team mate Ryan with a similar knee take out and Ryan couldn't get off the ice. Parros knows full well what is going on, and what has always gone on with Gio.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad