Post-Game Talk: Going Postal

kevy999

Sep 12, 2016
Yeah, they’ve demonstrated in the past that though they can play in a game like yesterday and win, eventually in a series they can’t keep up the physicality. Lucic helps with that, but his current skill level puts him too far down the lineup to likely change that this season.

Picture how Kassian tormented a tougher team than Calgary in the Sam Jose series. Calgary would eventually wilt.
I think the Oilers if they get in the playoffs all the pressure will be off and they will go on a run. Any team that gets in has a legit chance to win the cup nomatter what some fans tell you. All it takes is a hot goalie and a team believing in themself and some luck.

Reactions: Oilers 322

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Both Leon and Connor force way too many passes that just aren't there or is an extremely tight squeeze. And they've been failing on those passes more often than not in the past couple/few months. It's like they feel like they HAVE to make a pass to someone instead of realizing the best play sometimes is to just cycle the puck down low to an area and trust your mates will be there to battle for the puck. Connor made a bad pass to Bear in the third when the game was on the line. Bear did a great job with the grenade Connor tossed him and actually drew a penalty. But ya, Leon is also just as if not more boneheaded in forcing passes that just aren't there. So frustrating watching them on the pp forcing those passes that you, I and everyone knows theyre going to try and seems like 70% of the time the opposition knocks the puck away. Just get some pucks on net every now and then and hope for a rebound. It will loosen up the opposing defence a bit and the seam passes will open up a bit later on. Not rocket science.

Connor isn't so bad for this, but with Leon it seems that unless there is a play to be made within 3-5 seconds of possessing the puck he will just toss a hero pass to somewhere (usually a high danger area) that almost never works. He needs to have "you don't have to try something that isn't there just because, and if you have to move it put it somewhere safe" drilled into his head constantly.

The backhand sauces to random places in the middle of the ice have to stop with him, especially between the tops of the circles on both ends of the ice. Worst part is you can see that he's about to do something dumb from a mile away. Wish I had a dime for every time I've shouted "DON'T DO IT LEON!" lol. The pass he put on a tee for Monahan in the slot was one of those times last night.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
C'mon. There's certainly an argument that he deserved an extra minor either for cross checking or instigating, but this isn't even close to Kassians. Kassian kept going even though Tkachuk obvious wasn't engaging. After the first couple shots on Nuge, he was a willing combatant and no suspension is worthy.

Agreed on the weight thing though.

You’re missing my point. It’s about the inconsistency of the league. I DO NOT think that that is a suspension. HOWEVER, Parros has twice suspended guys for doing just that this year. As I said before, the only difference between Monahan not being suspended, and Kassian and Lucic being suspended, is Nuge defending himself compared to how Sherwood sat there with his hands down like an idiot, and Tkachuk turtling. That’s like saying that the most viscous, blatantly suspendable hit is no longer worthy of a suspension if the player gets up and goes after the guy who hit him. The action itself is what needs to be analyzed. To say it’s clean after you’ve set the precedent that throwing a punch at a gloved opponent is 2 games, is just hypocritical, and why Parros needs to be fired yesterday. Outside of the Shanahan era, the DoPS has been harshly criticized for reacting to identical hits differently depending on the optics and outcome, and Parros is arguably doing the worst job of anyone to ever take the position.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I dont know how some of you were so calm after the game. This was such an emotionally charged game with so much anticipation and drama going into it

This morning I woke up still angry how things went about. The Flames should never win in our house like this

Not to mention the knee on knee hit from Giordano to McDavid and that stupid stick flip that Rittich did at the end of the game
Because in the modern NHL a team's playoff chances remain OK if they walk away from the game with only a point. Like McDavid said, it was a tie game and Flames won a skills competition. Time to focus on improving for the next game.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Because in the modern NHL a team's playoff chances remain OK if they walk away from the game with only a point. Like McDavid said, it was a tie game and Flames won a skills competition. Time to focus on improving for the next game.

The flames skating off the ice ecstatic with another W against us, in our barn, and the Oilers skating off with hanged heads not even looking at the crowd, couldn't get off the ice fast enough, sure doesn't speak to a tie game. The Oilers left the ice as if it was a road game and not even acknowledging the home crowd on the way off. They looked sullen to pissed.

The Oilers had to have this game for their mindset in the BOA, and they lost again. The Flames are saying they own the Oilers, are trashtalking the Oilers endlessly, and beating the Oilers serially. you don't think that matters in the slightest? Its exactly the kind of thing that gets in players heads. Whether they say so or not. The actions on the ice speak to that more than the comments before or after. The Oilers are steamed they're coming out on the losing end every time this season and that the Flames are squawking about it nonstop.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
It's definitely frustrating losing to that team three times in a row, shootout or not.

But what's even more frustrating is the complete lack of disrespect for one of our top players on the GDT, and, to a lesser extent, the PGT. I understand feeling angry in the heat of the moment, but there is ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE for some of the disgusting, and, to be honest, borderline slanderous comments about one of our star players: "**** Draisaitl," "Draisaitl is a beer leaguer," "Draisaitl is garbage, trade him."

On NO other team in the NHL does the fanbase utter comments of this nature about one of their star players. NO OTHER TEAM DOES THIS TO ITS STARS. And yes, whether some of you choose to believe it or not, he is a star player. If one of you can cut-and-paste at least ONE post where the fanbase of another team calls one of their OWN top-tier players garbage, tells him to **** off, or calls him a beer-leaguer, I will stop these posts.

I understand that he makes some mistakes, but something like "Oh, Draisaitl, what a dumb play" will suffice. Not calling the guy every name in the book and trading him. If it was this bad for Taylor Hall, I bet he's glad he's gone and I sure as hell don't think he'll ever want to come back to this crap.

Personally, I think the mods need to do a better job of monitoring this trash and deleting these garbage comments, especially in the GDT. These comments contribute NOTHING positive whatsoever to this forum. Unless you want HF boards to get a reputation for being a cesspool that attracts the lowest breed of human scum, I think some pruning needs to be done.

I feel that a certain group of posters make it their sole agenda to spew negative comments about the player while refraining from ever saying anything positive whatsoever about the player.

@Porkleaker and @ohheyhemsky, I'm looking at you in particular. If either of you, or anyone else, can tell me what it is about Draisaitl that attracts so much venom from a certain segment of the fanbase, I will stop defending the player to this extent. I just find it simply alarming the treatment afforded to one of our star players on arguably an off-night. And last night was certainly no one-off. This pack-bashing seems to happen at least 50% of the time, which, for a guy supposedly considered a star player, seems bizarre.

Oh, and @Porkleaker, I hope that they do trade Draisaitl. I hope that they trade him so far away from this toxic fanbase and it comes back to bite us harder than any ******ed trade Chiarelli ever made.

What a bunch of crying.

Calling Drai out for a bad game isn't a crime, no matter how hard you stomp your feet and scream.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
What a bunch of crying.

Calling Drai out for a bad game isn't a crime, no matter how hard you stomp your feet and scream.

There is a difference between calling someone out and basically slandering them. If you don't know the difference, I don't know what to tell you.

Reactions: barry halls

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
The flames skating off the ice ecstatic with another W against us, in our barn, and the Oilers skating off with hanged heads not even looking at the crowd, couldn't get off the ice fast enough, sure doesn't speak to a tie game. The Oilers left the ice as if it was a road game and not even acknowledging the home crowd on the way off. They looked sullen to pissed.

The Oilers had to have this game for their mindset in the BOA, and they lost again. The Flames are saying they own the Oilers, are trashtalking the Oilers endlessly, and beating the Oilers serially. you don't think that matters in the slightest? Its exactly the kind of thing that gets in players heads. Whether they say so or not. The actions on the ice speak to that more than the comments before or after. The Oilers are steamed they're coming out on the losing end every time this season and that the Flames are squawking about it nonstop.

I know what you’re getting at and agree to an extent (especially as a fan), but McDavid’s response is the correct way for the team to approach it post game IMO. I certainly hope they aren’t as worried about the Flames “having their number” as we are, or else they really are in their heads.

The (unfortunate?) reality is the loser point is vital in today’s game (just look at the Flames this season and 2016-17). I think they take the point and move on to tomorrow’s game.

I’m interested to see how they play against them on Saturday with their legs under them and in their barn where the reffing seems to be highly favourable. They’ll have to play a disciplined game, that will tell me they don’t worry as much as we do about having their number taken.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

Players are pretty good about blocking out the last game and moving on. Especially in a long 82 game season. I don't think the Flames are in the Oilers heads even in the slightest. I recall last year when the Flames swept the Avs in the regular season series. All the talk from Flamers fans was about how they would roll over the Avs because they swept them, about how they were clearly in the Avs heads. And we all know how the playoff series worked out for the Flamers. They were famously humiliated and embarrassed in an epic beatdown. Both the Oilers and Flames are middling teams. Both have mediocre goaltending, with Rittich likely the best of the four, but way too inconsistent to count on. Their defense is seriously overrated, and ours is very average. They have slightly better forward depth, but have no superstar players, which we have two of. End result is two fairly equal middle of the road teams. Flip a coin who would win a 7 game series, but wouldn't place a bet based on the regular season games.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I know what you’re getting at and agree to an extent (especially as a fan), but McDavid’s response is the correct way for the team to approach it post game IMO. I certainly hope they aren’t as worried about the Flames “having their number” as we are, or else they really are in their heads.

The (unfortunate?) reality is the loser point is vital in today’s game (just look at the Flames this season and 2016-17). I think they take the point and move on to tomorrow’s game.

I’m interested to see how they play against them on Saturday with their legs under them and in their barn where the reffing seems to be highly favourable. They’ll have to play a disciplined game, that will tell me they don’t worry as much as we do about having their number taken.

Well I just watched Draisaitl and McD play one of their most confused games in their star tenure. Drai made two worse passes than ever. I say that in the sense that on these two plays it wasn't even clear who he was passing to other than a Flame for a breakaway. Usually with Drai its a case of forcing a puck across that is going to lead to a scoring chance for us if it gets through a seam. In the two plays in question last night they were complete junk plays by a player completely confused against the Flames. The same player that was stoned 6 times and didn't even think he had a chance of scoring in the shootout.

I watch Drai as much as anybody, and rarely critique him. But the Flames are totally in Drai's head. McD really had a bad game as well forcing so many non plays. McD was giving the puck away on most of his passes.

Look how many of the Oilers scoring chances last night were strictly individual plays by McDrai. This is not the look of a team that was composed playing against the Flames and had confidence. This was yet another game of McD and Drai forcing and making tons of mistakes. That's not composed, and its an uncomfortable thing for the whole squad to see.

That Tippett is going to the well for GAgner and saying (he's a vet that knows how to play in these big games and that's why he's dressing" is a bit interesting to me. Tippett is not a Gagner fan, and for him to say that to me suggests he's got a bit of questions about how the Oilers are approaching these big games. Tippett is not known for complementing Gagner. Was his comment more than just about Gagner. Was it a backhand comment about what the team requires. ftr Gagner was one of the better Oilers last night. The Oilers star forces are still too young to know how to completely deal with games like this.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Doesn't matter what his motivation was. He stepped up. He is not a fighter per se, and going up against a guy with 35 NHL fights and similar in junior is worth giving credit for.

If he is not a fighter then he should not provoke fighters. Again, do not confuse pressure with bravery.
Remember we are not talking about this fight if Tkachuk had manned up to begin with. Now it just looks forced as the game had the exact same scenario of points. For some reason last game it was ok for him not to fight because the two points were so important, this time the points were not?

No kudos for him whatsoever, nor will there ever be respect for him.

RalphKing

Mar 28, 2017
Watched the Kassian fight several times, looks like he just hit the helmet and face shield a bunch of times.

Nuge landed a bunch though

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Looked like his hand/finger was split right open when he took his glove off. Wouldn’t be surprised if something is broken
Oh well, he didn't have the greatest set of mitts before from what I've seen, maybe this will be an improvement when he comes back.;)

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I'm not overly upset over Rittich's stick toss.

It could have been worse...the entire team could have done a storm surge knock off, on Oilers ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad