God awful power play: Fix it now!

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I like to call this the Chara: I've seen Boston do it in the past and Chicago do it when they had Byfuglien. Nurse provides the big screen in front of the net

--------Nurse---------
RNH------------Eberle

----Hall--------Schultz

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I like to call this the Chara: I've seen Boston do it in the past and Chicago do it when they had Byfuglien. Nurse provides the big screen in front of the net

--------Nurse---------
RNH------------Eberle

----Hall--------Schultz

Pouliot and Purcell are both big men with better hands around the net than Nurse. Nurse isn't so big that he outweighs that fact.

Although if we are going to have Nurse here I would like to see him on the PP. Just on the point where we can utilize his shot.

I feel like the Oilers do a poor job of developing offensive abilities of the d-men they bring up to the big leagues. Happened with Marincin last year, I'd like to see Nurse given the opportunity to continue to develop his offensive game if he is going to be on the roster.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Pouliot and Purcell are both big men with better hands around the net than Nurse. Nurse isn't so big that he outweighs that fact.

They are big men but can they battle like Nurse does in front of the net? (They aren't really physical) I'd like to see them try it for a game just to see...

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
They are big men but can they battle like Nurse does in front of the net? (They aren't really physical) I'd like to see them try it for a game just to see...

Most of Pouliot's goals on the PP last year were in tight in front of the net. He can battle just fine. His 7 would have had him tied for 2nd on the Oilers and he got less PP time than any of our main stay PP guys last year.

He's a very viable option for the front of the net. Could be very successful there.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba

--------Nurse---------
RNH------------Eberle

----Hall--------Schultz

Why is every player in a spot where he can't have a onetimer

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Didn't realize we dress 45 players for one game. It isn't hard to dress Hall-RNH-Eberle Schultz-Nikitin for one game during the preseason. Then 2nd PP unit can be any combination of AHL, ECHL and CHL players.

Early pre-season is the time to evaluate how young players match up against NHL'ers. The last 1-2 games should be used to tweak the opening night roster. It isn't that complicated.
Allowing the tweeners to compete for jobs was the task at hand. This week of practice will be setting the lines and getting a PP going. Alot of you pin the poor PP on coaching but really the onus is on the players to execute. If your best players can't complete a series of passes then your PP will fail. Look no further then Hall, RNH, Eberle and Schultz as to why the PP failed last year, poor execution

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
Only 1 dman should be on the powerplay.

It's entering the zone that's killing us

Video might prove otherwise, but I also recall the Oilers having the most trouble actually gaining the zone and controlling. It's frustrating watching the puck get poked away as they try to dangle it in, or them dumping it and not being able to retrieve it from the corners.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Did Dallas even change the 1-3-1 system after lets say for example the 5th SHGA? I find it hard to believe a guy would repeat an obviously broken system...until it worked?

I tuned out of the PP when we were suddenly the worst in the league from several seasons of being top 10 at least.

CanadianSuperPromise

Aug 21, 2012
Your thinking Yak could be just like Stamkos or Ovechkin.

Them are 60 goal scorers in this league, Nail hasnt even hit 20 yet.

Yup, It's a huge reach to suggest Yakupov could be like Ovechkin and Stamkos. Comparing a 1st overall drafted for his scoring prowess to two 1st overall's that were drafted for their goal scoring ability. Why even bother discussing putting Yakupov in a similar position that brought identical players success. Screw Nail, he sucks amirite heheh. GMofOilers ur so smrt, teach me how to smrt.

Also, Stamkos didn't struggle early on in his career like Yakupov. Not at all.

Oct 30, 2011
PP1

--------Net-------
------Pouliot-----
-------------------
Hall----------RNH
-------------------
--------------JS
Klefbom----------

PP2

-----------Net-------------
----------------------------
----------Purcell-----------
Eberle------------Draisaitl
Hunt--------------Yakupov

^^^high risk, but it's the 2nd pp unit, shouldn't be out there long

randomrob7

Aug 30, 2013
Let's hope Ramsay spends some serious time working on the PP unit over the next few days.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
PP1

--------Net-------
------Pouliot-----
-------------------
Hall----------RNH
-------------------
--------------JS
Klefbom----------

PP2

----------Purcell-----------
Eberle------------Draisaitl
Hunt--------------Yakupov

^^^high risk, but it's the 2nd pp unit, shouldn't be out there long
I hate both of those units, Fayne and Nikitin are both good puck movers and neither see the PP.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Yakupov isn't a fast player or a particularily quick player. I'm hoping he improves on both of these, but until he does he should be planted on the right side poised for a one timer at all times. And a good passer should be playing the opposite boards. That is the one big thing I want to see on one of the two PPs next year.

------------Net--------
----Pouliot--------Hall
-----------Eberle------
RNH-------------------
------------------JS----

PP2

------Perron---------------
Draisaitl----------Yakupov
--Purcell------------Hunt--

UglyStupidAds

Sep 17, 2005
Edmonton
The powerplay was awful last year but was quite good for the two years previously.

It's only a correlation but two things stand out to me:

1) RNH was coming back from a shoulder injury. There's no question he is a powerplay wizard and perhaps the injury affected his performance.

2) Dallas Eakins was in his first year as head coach.

Draw what conclusions you want from those but hopefully Eakins' experience last year, having a veteran presence behind the bench in Craig Ramsay and RNH being fully healthy will improve the PP.

I'm also not worried about the preseason PP performance.

UglyStupidAds

Sep 17, 2005
Edmonton
Yakupov isn't a fast player or a particularily quick player. I'm hoping he improves on both of these, but until he does he should be planted on the right side poised for a one timer at all times. And a good passer should be playing the opposite boards. That is the one big thing I want to see on one of the two PPs next year.

------------Net--------
----Pouliot--------Hall
-----------Eberle------
RNH-------------------
------------------JS----

PP2

------Perron---------------
Draisaitl----------Yakupov
--Purcell------------Hunt--
I disagree. Yakupov isn't particularly fast but he is quick and agile.

As far as the PP goes quickness is important but speed isn't. You want to be able to elude a defender but you're not likely to be moving far enough for speed to be an issue.

Looking at your PP2 I don't mind the overall look, however I would like to see Yakupov and Draisaitl playing closer together. If Draisaitl has the puck, Yakupov should be sliding into the centre of the ice (just look at how Draisaitl set up Perron a couple times on the PP during the preseason). If Yakupov is handling the puck I'd like to see Perron and his right shot open up in the slot and Draisaitl slide down lower in front of the net / behind the net.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
No Eberle? Our PP will continue to suck

I'd like to see Eberle on the 2nd PP. Want elite talent on both PP units so that the oppositions defence gets a constant barrage of quality offence.

Hall-Hopkins-Yakupov
Nikitin-Schultz

Pouliot-Leon-Perron
Klefbom-Eberle

Eberle and Leon set up three guys on the first unit, while Schultz and Hopkins set up 3 guys on the first unit.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
My pp would have two players at the point and that is it for alignment. The players on the ice should adapt to how the other team is working their pk and simply create 2 on ones to gain possession and mover around anywhere in the zone to get in scoring position.

Great idea. I think it may be a bit more complex than you make it out to be thou.

longy85

Oct 24, 2009
I think we missed horcoff's (puke) puck retrieval and battle in front of the net. But I honestly see pouliot being a more skilled and quicker version of horc for this years powerplay. I expect we'll see an improvement in the effectiveness of our top unit.

Hall Nuge Pouliot
[player] - schultz

Not sure who will man left point. Nikitin and nurse would make sense.

GreatGretz99

Oct 26, 2005
Yup, It's a huge reach to suggest Yakupov could be like Ovechkin and Stamkos. Comparing a 1st overall drafted for his scoring prowess to two 1st overall's that were drafted for their goal scoring ability. Why even bother discussing putting Yakupov in a similar position that brought identical players success. Screw Nail, he sucks amirite heheh. GMofOilers ur so smrt, teach me how to smrt.

Also, Stamkos didn't struggle early on in his career like Yakupov. Not at all.

Stamkos hit 50 goals and 95 points in his second season, and hasn't looked back since.

Not writing off Nail by any means, I think he'll turn into a 30-40 goal guy eventually, but comparing the struggles of Stamkos and Nail are bit apples to oranges.

When looking at his OHL success and even a lot of his NHL success, he is very good in that same 1-timer position, I think he'd do excellent in that spot, and should have been used there right from day 1 with (at the time) Hemmer dishing him both on their off wings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad