God awful power play: Fix it now!

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Unsure where the Hunt > Aulie talk came from. Marincin lost the OFD job to Hunt, because Hunt showed more consistent play and less river-boat.

We'll have to agree to disagree. the only thing I saw from Hunt was a penchant for onetiming the puck no matter what. No one in front, no one on the side to pick up the puck if he misses, doesn't matter. He reminds me of MAB. Shoot first, think second. I would defiantly prefer Nikitin, Marincin or even Klefbom on the 2nd PP over Hunt.

Hunt over anyone is a bad call by the management team. I suspect they made him handshake deal when he signed with them that he'd have a legit shot at some point. This is probably them fulfilling that promise. Hunt will be back in the AHL by game 10. Or the Oilers are even more incompetent than I think they are.

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
We'll have to agree to disagree. the only thing I saw from Hunt was a penchant for onetiming the puck no matter what. No one in front, no one on the side to pick up the puck if he misses, doesn't matter. He reminds me of MAB. Shoot first, think second. I would defiantly prefer Nikitin, Marincin or even Klefbom on the 2nd PP over Hunt.

Hunt over anyone is a bad call by the management team. I suspect they made him handshake deal when he signed with them that he'd have a legit shot at some point. This is probably them fulfilling that promise. Hunt will be back in the AHL by game 10. Or the Oilers are even more incompetent than I think they are.

Can you defend wanting Klefbom on the PP over Hunt? Hunt scored 50 points in the AHL last year, while Klefbom hasn't had offensive instincts anywhere he played.

SPIRIT

Mar 12, 2014
Can you defend wanting Klefbom on the PP over Hunt? Hunt scored 50 points in the AHL last year, while Klefbom hasn't had offensive instincts anywhere he played.

The Oilers organization has had a long look at Hunt through his AHL development - Oiler faithful have had a few disjointed pre-season games to see what he's capable of.

Your point, Insta, is bang on - he's a proven commodity at some level for offense.

Klefbom is going to be paired with an offensive partner, and will not be the offensive driver (unless his development takes a sharp turn). He is still an awesome prospect, but he has not shown offense.

Let's give Hunt what he has earned, an NHL look... maybe he can brainlessly blast us a few on the PP; watch how quickly our tune will change.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
The Oilers organization has had a long look at Hunt through his AHL development - Oiler faithful have had a few disjointed pre-season games to see what he's capable of.

Your point, Insta, is bang on - he's a proven commodity at some level for offense.

Klefbom is going to be paired with an offensive partner, and will not be the offensive driver (unless his development takes a sharp turn). He is still an awesome prospect, but he has not shown offense.

Let's give Hunt what he has earned, an NHL look... maybe he can brainlessly blast us a few on the PP; watch how quickly our tune will change.

Klefbom is at least smart, and can get a wrist shot on net that causes rebounds. But he would be my third choice for 2nd PP after Nikitin and Marincin.

Did you watch Hunt in preseason? Every shot he fired was right into the goalies chest with no rebound or a miss that almost always left the zone. Hunt looked like a one trick pony to me. Shoot at all times. I will admit that I haven't seen a whole lot of him. But, what I have seen didn't scream NHL d-man worthy of bumping Marincin down to the minors. Keeping him up and playing him in the top 6 over Marincin isn't a good decision for the team. He's going to bleed chances and not make up for it in the offensive end.

SPIRIT

Mar 12, 2014
Klefbom is at least smart, and can get a wrist shot on net that causes rebounds. But he would be my third choice for 2nd PP after Nikitin and Marincin.

Did you watch Hunt in preseason? Every shot he fired was right into the goalies chest with no rebound or a miss that almost always left the zone. Hunt looked like a one trick pony to me. Shoot at all times. I will admit that I haven't seen a whole lot of him. But, what I have seen didn't scream NHL d-man worthy of bumping Marincin down to the minors. Keeping him up and playing him in the top 6 over Marincin isn't a good decision for the team. He's going to bleed chances and not make up for it in the offensive end.

Did not miss a game - including Young Stars in person in Penticon.

There is no disagreement that Marincin is a better player (with an incomparably higher ceiling). The same can be said for Klefbom, though they are different player types.

Where we need to have patience is with the role Hunt is filling at this moment.

We signed professional D in Fayne and Nikitin, to join our other professional D in Ference, Schultz (at least, he's professional at offense...), and Petry.

This opens a spot.

Options now become:

1) Let Marincin, an NHL defensemen, marinate in the minors playing 25+ minutes a night in all situations, while we determine whether Hunt or Nurse are also NHL defensemen at this point time. #1 call-up.

2) Try to awkwardly slide Marincin into a spot that is already filled by proven professionals - maybe he'll press-box, maybe he'll light it up... is it worth the risk, given the assets that we have?

We chose #1.

Nurse will not stay (it doesn't make developmental sense), give Hunt a go, Marty will be called up within the quarter of the year - bank on it.

Rafters

Aug 10, 2003
Medicine Hat
Visit site
The only chance the oilers have at making games meaningful in March would be to have excellent special teams and somewhat hold the fort at even strength.....a great pp and PK can mask a lot of issues

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Pouliot will at least go to the net. Might get a few goals called back for it though.

Pressure

Real Talk
Aug 11, 2005
Edmonton
Just to add, Mac T came on Oiler's Now yesterday and said that Nurse and Klefbom will be pillars for the team in the future. No mention of Marincin at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad