Confirmed with Link: Goc to Blues for Lapierre

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
What has Farnham done to warrant his reputation with Philly fans? They have the most brainless, chicken**** goon in the league in Rinaldo and their fans are crying about a guy who plays a hard, physical game?:laugh:

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
What has Farnham done to warrant his reputation with Philly fans? They have the most brainless, chicken**** goon in the league in Rinaldo and their fans are crying about a guy who plays a hard, physical game?:laugh:

They see him as similar to Rinaldo. They have a smallish cheapshot artist who can skate but not play, we call up a smallish energy guy who can skate but not really play and they figure we're copycatting. "See! You've got a guy just like him!"

Little do they know that Bobby has not, to my recollection, ever done anything that put the club shorthanded, whereas Rinaldo leads the sport in minors/minute played, last I checked.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
They see him as similar to Rinaldo. They have a smallish cheapshot artist who can skate but not play, we call up a smallish energy guy who can skate but not really play and they figure we're copycatting. "See! You've got a guy just like him!"

Little do they know that Bobby has not, to my recollection, ever done anything that put the club shorthanded, whereas Rinaldo leads the sport in minors/minute played, last I checked.

Someone posted it on Twitter or ****** (or both) recently but of the 1,675 minutes Rinaldo has played in the league, he has been disciplined (via penalty or suspension) for 1,449 of them. The math isn't fair because he doesn't play 60 minutes a night, of course. But it's still telling.

EDIT: Found it:

https://twitter.com/TravisSBN/status/560062686726459392/photo/1

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Flyers fans project their own feelings onto other fanbases/teams, especially their rivals. Makes them feel better about the scum they are.

The funniest part is that they want it BOTH ways. They want their teams to play like they did 40 years ago and take pride in it, but then when they take it a step too far, they put on their babe in the woods routine. At least back then they didn't feel the need to defend themselves.

Honestly, I can't even hate them anymore. What's there to hate exactly?

40 years of futility? 7 Stanley Cup appearances and they can't even manage to win ONE by accident? A horribly overpaid back end and a franchise that hasn't been able to find a goalie in 2 decades? The salary cap hell they've created for themselves?

They're a running joke. A meathead coach hired by a meathead former GM that was replaced by the biggest Faux Tough guy in the history of the league. I haven't even mentioned the ultimate meathead in Bobby Clarke.

They have nothing, ZERO to say about anybody, in particular the Penguins. The great Clode is on the verge of missing the playoffs for the 2nd time in 3 years with literally no end in sight. It's glorious.

#haveyoueverseentheflyerswinthecup?

Get To Our Game

May 31, 2008
Pittsburgh
I think it's good to pick up guys that have given Sid hard times in the past (Downie, Lapierre). Just seems like the kind of thing that would help him out mentally. I bet you he hates having to see Lapierre's face by now, but I also bet he much prefers having him on his side.

Goc just never seemed to work out here. I understand he was saddled with some of the worst players in the NHL for a lot of icetime, which is a legitimate excuse, but he never showed much of anything on offense. He never seemed to fall into favor with the coaching staff, including that strange healthy scratch. I never really had any problems with Goc and wouldn't have minded seeing him play as our #4 C all season, but like a few people have said, there are just too many vanilla players in the bottom six so we swap one out for a different flavor.But your mix of flavors doesn't mean jack when you've got garbage on two of your wings. If Sill and Adams somehow make it into a playoff game, it won't matter who's centering that line.

Last edited:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Eh... you really aren't too far off there, I suppose.

The league is kind of a joke. Might as well play their game.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
There is a theory that I do not really agree with... it goes that if you make such a ruckus with a 4th line that the game is out of control right off the bat, then the refs will call more trying to reign it in... of course you risk getting a ref who doesn't give a darn and then you end up with a star taking a crosscheck to the skull... so its risky...

Mzeppelin1

Apr 26, 2014
while our teams are making trades, how bout malkin for a grilled cheese sandwich prepared by hitchcock?

SwordofStMichael

Apr 4, 2013
Senators fans are saying that Neil has a full No-Trade clause and wants to finish his career in Ottawa.
Might be why Pens got Max LaP instead.
Dan Kingurski 93.7 Fan weekend/night fill in, who worked for TSN IIRC, speculated this weekend he thought the Pens needed someone like Neil.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Ugh, I hate trades like this. Here I was, all happy about the game, and then I find out that a guy who played his best for us was traded and that ****shows like Adams are still here.

For anyone expecting Lapierre to draw any kind of penalties with his playing style, the stats for this season so far:

Goc
Penalties Drawn/60 - 0.5
Penalties Taken/60 - 0.2

Lapierre
Penalties Drawn/60 - 0.2
Penalties Taken/60 - 1.1

Pretty much. This was a stupid move or maybe more like spinning our proverbial wheels -- doing stuff so we can say we did stuff. It did not make us better in any meaningful respect. Maybe not worse but it's not an improvement generally. This is a typical "boy I remember when that guy was a real PITA to play against, he'll be great in the playoffs" move by Rutherford. Operational phrase being "remember when." LaPierre has been invisible in recent years. This was a move based on a guy's image, plain and simple.

He is a ****-stirrer sometimes and is tougher than Goc, but he's not going to make a real impact on this team until we get rid of dead weight like Adams, Scuds, and Co. Max Lapierre is not going to make our 4th line better if the other two bums on the line, stay on the line. Simple as that.

And as for the playoffs I foresee him not drawing a lot of penalties but being reactive out there when we get behind, taking stupid penalties "trying to be tough". Maybe I'm wrong and he'll have a revival but I really don't get this in the context of, the worst players are still on this team and we still don't have much cap room last I checked.

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
Curious as to his role, can he play C?

I like adding him, but Goc seems like the better fit for 4C.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Pretty much. This was a stupid move or maybe more like spinning our proverbial wheels -- doing stuff so we can say we did stuff. It did not make us better in any meaningful respect. Maybe not worse but it's not an improvement generally. This is a typical "boy I remember when that guy was a real PITA to play against, he'll be great in the playoffs" move by Rutherford. Operational phrase being "remember when." LaPierre has been invisible in recent years. This was a move based on a guy's image, plain and simple.

He is a ****-stirrer sometimes and is tougher than Goc, but he's not going to make a real impact on this team until we get rid of dead weight like Adams, Scuds, and Co. Max Lapierre is not going to make our 4th line better if the other two bums on the line, stay on the line. Simple as that.

And as for the playoffs I foresee him not drawing a lot of penalties but being reactive out there when we get behind, taking stupid penalties "trying to be tough". Maybe I'm wrong and he'll have a revival but I really don't get this in the context of, the worst players are still on this team and we still don't have much cap room last I checked.
Do you think he had less of an impact tonight than Goc would've?

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Do you think he had less of an impact tonight than Goc would've?

I take your point but what I'm driving at is, Goc is a pretty good guy to have around when injuries strike, and I don't see bringing Max Lapierre in as "automatic toughness", to the extent that he makes the team better than Goc could have.

And I agree with your other comment earlier that you're not getting Max for Craig Adams but at some point... someone has to say "enough with the retreads and old guys, the past is past and we need something better in these positions". For Max to be effective he needs better linemates than who he is likely to get.

So like I said this is sort of "doing stuff to stay active going into the deadline" but without really addressing the biggest problems. Yes he could, if he plays hard every night, add some toughness (and that's needed) but on balance I don't see him having much impact. Hope I'm wrong. In summation I [wonder if we could've acquired him without losing Goc -- doesn't seem like he should bring that high a price any longer.]

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
Flyers fans project their own feelings onto other fanbases/teams, especially their rivals. Makes them feel better about the scum they are.

The funniest part is that they want it BOTH ways. They want their teams to play like they did 40 years ago and take pride in it, but then when they take it a step too far, they put on their babe in the woods routine. At least back then they didn't feel the need to defend themselves.

Honestly, I can't even hate them anymore. What's there to hate exactly?

40 years of futility? 7 Stanley Cup appearances and they can't even manage to win ONE by accident? A horribly overpaid back end and a franchise that hasn't been able to find a goalie in 2 decades? The salary cap hell they've created for themselves?

They're a running joke. A meathead coach hired by a meathead former GM that was replaced by the biggest Faux Tough guy in the history of the league. I haven't even mentioned the ultimate meathead in Bobby Clarke.

They have nothing, ZERO to say about anybody, in particular the Penguins. The great Clode is on the verge of missing the playoffs for the 2nd time in 3 years with literally no end in sight. It's glorious.

#haveyoueverseentheflyerswinthecup?

your whole post is great. the bolded is right on the money

NatureBoy

Mar 28, 2013
Austria

Agreed!

And I heard in last nights broadcast that Lapierre since 2008 has never been a plus player. This move did not make the team better....

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I liked what Lapierre brought last night. He's at least noticeable out there with the way he skates fast, hits and chirps at the opposition. Goc was a solid player here but was also kind of an invisible man. He really didn't have any standout qualities outside of winning draws.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad