Net-Front Work.

[NHL]2013030162-901-h[/NHL]
Net-Front Work.

[NHL]2013030164-447-h[/NHL]
Goal.

[NHL]2013030165-342-h[/NHL]
Net-Drive and stops there.

This was in 6 playoff games last year.

4 big plays in 6 games. not too bad. would we expect even half that from goc?

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
uh, only watched the first video. Why are you giving Lapierre credit for that play? Never touched the puck and the extent of his "net front" work was standing on the side of the crease that had nothing to do with the play.

Amazing individual effort by Oshie, though.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
^^^^^

I don't have a problem with acquiring MaxLap. I have a problem with moving out the one good aspect of the 4th line and keeping the ****** ones.

Agreed 100%

Again, I'm glad the team recognizes what it needs, but man oh man are they ever getting rid of the wrong guys.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
My take on the trade is this - the Pens relationship against the Metro needed a shakeup. Too many teams are taking liberties against them. They are getting pushed around on a nightly basis. And while guys like Downie help, its just not enough. Downie has done little on his own besides rack up unlimited penalty minutes. We clearly need more of it.

Marcel Goc was not an answer. If anything hes part of the problem. Hes never going to step up for anyone or instigate with the other team. A good hockey player for sure, but not what the situation is dictating.

Lapierre is not necessarily the answer either. Alot of it depends on how he fits in the room . But this trade was made in late January, as opposed to the deadline, so if it doesn't work.. i expect we'll go out and find another character guy. The Pens need to start equalizing the aggression against them, if not turn it back around. Start whacking Giroux in the kidneys and punching Staal in the head. Get those guys to play scared.

We really don't lose anything losing 4 months of Marcel Goc. He wasn't putting us over the top or providing anything we didn't already have in better form.

My biggest gripe with the way this team is being handled is that they are still coddling and romanticizing Fleury. This year was their opportunity to cut ties, but someone high up in that organization is infatuated with him for some unknown reason. If anything is going to derail them this year, it will be the net.

Lack of aggression or toughness is not why the Pens lost to the NYR or NYI.

The Pens lost because they played slow and stupid, they executed poorly, and they didn't have good team structure or systems.

Lapierre helps with the speed.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
this kind of revisionist history once again?

the Pens don't make it past the Islanders with MAF in net...

Fleury got LIT UP in the Islanders series in '13. Consequently, he COULDN'T get lit up against Boston because.. well.. he was on the bench crying. Then he got in the one game and let up a blue line wrister, on the left hand boards, to left handed Marchand.. glove side.

But lets forget that happened.

Uhh thats kind of the point. Its not revisionist history at all.

He did in fact get lit up against the Islanders. Without a doubt. Then he was benched. If he WAS in net the whole time, they would have lost. Except .. he wasnt. He was on the bench. But yet .. still gets blamed for the loss? WTF kind of sense does that make?

Does he take the blame for the forwards only scoring 2 goals in 4 games as well? Maybe the guy slipping on beer in the hallway as well?

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
My only problem is a management team and coaching staff thinking that Marcel Goc was the problem on the ADAMS-Goc-SILL line.

Is Stl going to trade you Lapierre for Adams or Sill? I'm skeptical. Based on JR's comments, sounds like we called them looking for grit. They didn't call us looking for a 4th liner.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Is Stl going to trade you Lapierre for Adams or Sill? I'm skeptical. Based on JR's comments, sounds like we called them looking for grit. They didn't call us looking for a 4th liner.

Of course they aren't. But again, Goc was the healthy scratch a week ago, not either of the other two.

thecore

Jul 2, 2008
Nebraska
steeltuxbird.blogspot.com
It seems like that when we're healthy the construct of the 4th line becomes less of an issue, because Sill will likely be scratched. It will be either Spaling, Comeau, Downie or Arcobello.

It is VERY hard for me to see them playing Sill over any of those guys except Arcobello (against certain teams).

I don't mention Adams because barring injury we know he's not sitting, whatever we all think.

I think any of the above flanking Lapierre and Adams can be a decent playoff 4th line. Adams will be the only anchor.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Of course they aren't. But again, Goc was the healthy scratch a week ago, not either of the other two.

I think you both have valid points.

I wouldn't not make this trade even though Adams and Sill are still on the team however. Lets see what else happen .

penguins2946*

I've grown to be a little bit more okay with this deal. If we bring in another physical player to play with Comeau and Lapierre (maybe Neil?), I'd be fine with this deal.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
^^^^^

I don't have a problem with acquiring MaxLap. I have a problem with moving out the one good aspect of the 4th line and keeping the ****** ones.

Oh, so you thought Lapierre was going to be had for Adams and/or Sill? Keep dreaming that was never going to happen. If anything offering that would have insulted the Blues brass or they'd laugh in our face. Secondly, Maybe the two teams needed felt it needed to be C for C to work. Third, our cap saving with this trade is about 100k and in order/if they're making more deals we need all cap space possible. Adams is a free agent next year hold your anger for a second, God forbid they plan on resigning him which some board members are suggesting. Your post earlier with MJ's comments about Adams is kind of scary but lets hope he's just playing the media to not hurt feelings or throw people under the bus.

Lastly Goc is Shero's guy, not Rutherford's. We're slowly chipping away from a Shero built team.

Mike Martin

Nov 1, 2013
I don't like this. Goc allows us to move Sutter into a 2C position in a tough playoff spot so we can run Sid with Geno and still come back with a 2nd line that is a threat to score. Lapierre won't give us that ability. I don't like this trade.

Goc has 2 goals, what's good about that offensively?

May 10, 2010
now that I re-thought this trade, I like it because it seems apparently it's not Mario's fault that we have a watered down version of the Pens after all...

What are you talking about? He was Shero's boss and let every single move occur. The likely scenario is that Mario saw that the NHL and NHLPA don't give two damns about skill over holding, interference, and hitting dudes in the head and is now leaning towards correcting his mistake.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
You should be embarrassed by Downie getting pummeled by Schenn.

A 5'8 guy losing a fight to a 6'2 guy is more embarrassing than picking a fight with a midget you just boarded--while wearing a visor--and refusing to take your helmet off out of fear--fear of a midget, mind you--after he already has?

I think not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad