Post-Game Talk: GOATvechkin Vs McJesus @ 9:30

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
They'll figure it out because they're pros and pretty decent on paper but they're probably never going to be great. I don't think there's the ambition for it across the board from a conceptual standpoint.

Like I said in roster thread, some key guys could probably live with it, surely.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
If there was an internal solution some of their weaknesses would have been more seriously addressed by now. Despite whatever interviews there may have been elsewhere, I doubt there's a legit internal answer. Lambert may be good for the PK but he's shown very little developmental ability for the forwards otherwise.

Maybe in a couple months if they're still flat and in a funk there could be a trade but this is the group. They'll figure it out because they're pros and pretty decent on paper but they're probably never going to be great. I don't think there's the ambition for it across the board from a conceptual standpoint.

Well that's ****ing depressing.

So who is out there that could replace Barry?

DCRedhawk21

May 7, 2011
Northern Virginia
We got the bounces in that game, two deflection goals and two opportunistic goals by Williams and Johansson. The only great game we've played so far was against the Avs.

Normally the Caps are a very physical team, we're dead last in hits so far this year. This isn't normal, only the 4th line are playing physical, the others are playing cute perimeter hockey.

This has been apparent for me from the eye test. I don't know if it's a concerted effort to try and play the game differently, malaise for a new season, or a quirk of a small sample of games. The game last nightime was not good, but I didn't think they have played that terrible otherwise (with the exceptions of the second periods in the penguins, Rangers and Panthers games).

In the end, I would suspect they'll be top 3 in the division. But they won't be a dominant or great team without kuzy back at ppg.

8 - 19 -77
90 - 92 - 14
65 - 20 - 10
26 - 83 - 43

Let the first line and beagle line handle the top match ups and try to get the "middle six" going.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
So who is out there that could replace Barry?
Patrick Roy. :sarcasm:

I have no idea. It's probably very true that if a team needs the perfect ideal coach then they're not good enough anyway. The players need to take ownership of their game but the coaching staff also seems to give the players an easy out in how they tend to play. The difference between playing "patient" and complacent can be pretty thin.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Glad to see this place didn't overreact.

Is it really an overreaction from last night? At least some posters have been floating the idea of replacing Trotz since last season.

Me personally, I think Trotz Is here for a while.

Who knows, maybe Ted makes a move if they don't advance, but I would be surprised if he takes them to the playoffs and gets fired. It's against the Organizational MO.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Trotz is one of the most well-respected coaches in the world. I don't know if the organization has it in them to fire somebody like that so soon into his tenure, especially when this isn't even a bad team (just not good enough).

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
I don't think Trotz is the problem. He managed to put together a team that won the Presidents Trophy last year: only a good coach manages that, especially when you consider that just two seasons earlier we didn't even make the playoffs. The problem is his gameplan relies on key offensive players being able to produce - I don't know why Kuzy and Bura and Williams and Chimmers stopped producing, but that's what killed us in the playoffs, and what's killing us now. Guys on here lament Trotz for not trying new ideas to get offense restarted, like put Ovi and Kuzy together, or pair Orlov with Carlson, and then when Trotz does that and it achieves nothing they lament him further. In an interview with Isabelle Khurshudyan Kuzy have the impression his slump was because he stopped enjoying the game, and finds it hard to let go of bad play and move forwards. That's the kind of psychological mind field even the best coaches are unlikely to correct - and it'll likely be down to Kuzy and preferably a great sports psychologist to overcome it.

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
regular season doesn't matter, right? they will get into the playoffs - no question about that and i believe a team can win the SC with Trotz and his crew in the charge. also a team can catch fire and roll and win the SC with average coaching and roster too. this game this early in the season means nothing. only thing is i hope the management is smart enough to identify systematic holes and breakdowns that this team has if any and will fix them before the playoffs. no more webers and glencrosses in the trade deadline!

i mean they don't have to be fast, they just have to be able to neutralize the speed effectively and offer something on their own on attack. this league is the copy-past league. that's why it's hard to repeat the SC. i just hope the caps will be ahead of the curve to figure how to stop teams built on speed.

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
In an interview with Isabelle Khurshudyan Kuzy have the impression his slump was because he stopped enjoying the game, and finds it hard to let go of bad play and move forwards. That's the kind of psychological mind field even the best coaches are unlikely to correct - and it'll likely be down to Kuzy and preferably a great sports psychologist to overcome it.

my speculation about Kuzy not having fun anymore was correct! i can now proudly pat myself on the back lol. but if this is the problem, then it's not biggie. coz trotz and co are all about building a great organization where guys enjoy being and etc. few bonuses to kuzy's way and vuala he's again enjoying the game, coming up with crazy ideas on goal celebration and mocking the opposition.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
my speculation about Kuzy not having fun anymore was correct! i can now proudly pat myself on the back lol. but if this is the problem, then it's not biggie. coz trotz and co are all about building a great organization where guys enjoy being and etc. few bonuses to kuzy's way and vuala he's again enjoying the game, coming up with crazy ideas on goal celebration and mocking the opposition.

that makes no sense. that's not why he lost his way, it's why he can't get it back. what the hell happened last spring is what I want to know.

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
that makes no sense. what the hell happened last spring wasn't the question i was answering.

if he stopped enjoying the game, be it since recent time or since the playoffs, does it really matter why from a hockey/value standpoint ?
i am not sure if thats the reason but its worth to give it a thought. that would downgrade his role from the bat or at least reevaluate him on the roster, a unreliable scorer that can fill the top6. we had one in the past like that if i remember, also dont forget that kuzy gets already all the chances to prove himself unlike #28. bottom line we dont know what kuzy is, a 80 ppg player or a 60ppg player who had a good year.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Makes me sad....

This Trotz firing talk is premature. They would have to tailspin for it to be considered.

no. no its not. they have lost two in a row. fire the guy.

this forum has been demanding that Trotz use different combinations on both forward and defense. Orlov is in the top 4. Kuzy is with Ov. There is a rookie on the 3rd line.

If Trotz knew he needed to win, 19 would be with 8. 43 would be in the top 9. 65 wouldn't be on the first line. Orlov would be on the 3rd pair.

Give it time to settle. They are trying some things.

Oh...and Ovechkin. He is on a 4 game goal scoring streak. Playing with a center that is clearly struggling. And we are complaining about Ov?

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Oh...and Ovechkin. He is on a 4 game goal scoring streak. Playing with a center that is clearly struggling. And we are complaining about Ov?

Carried away here, doc.

Everyone knows Ovi is a legend and a miracle. No complain.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Trotz has said Kuzy is cerebral. I don't think Kuz was ready for the NHL limelight. He went from "the best guy not the NHL" to an All Star leading the team in points. After that his game and swagger declined. IMO he internalized it and got tight. I thought it might be injury, but it wasn't. It is mental as many have said, and it's this conflict of being the #1 scorer on a level with Ovie vs the guy who can hide in the shadows and then surprise you with nifty moves from out of nowhere.

Keep him on 2nd line and take some internal pressure off of him, then turn him loose on the opposition.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
19. It's very interesting talking to the Lightning players. I was chatting with a few of them about how they and Washington are the “start the playoffs already, that’s all that matters” teams in the Eastern Conference. Their response was instructive. They felt they had that attitude last season after losing the Stanley Cup Final and it was a major reason they weren’t anywhere near their best for a good chunk of 2015-16. The Lightning and their coaches are challenging themselves not to think that way this time around, to find more purpose before the postseason begins. They are number one on ESPN’s franchise list. Now it’s time to be number one in the NHL.

Tampa players know what's going on with the Capitals.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Trotz has said Kuzy is cerebral. I don't think Kuz was ready for the NHL limelight. He went from "the best guy not the NHL" to an All Star leading the team in points. After that his game and swagger declined. IMO he internalized it and got tight. I thought it might be injury, but it wasn't. It is mental as many have said, and it's this conflict of being the #1 scorer on a level with Ovie vs the guy who can hide in the shadows and then surprise you with nifty moves from out of nowhere.

Keep him on 2nd line and take some internal pressure off of him, then turn him loose on the opposition.

All good points here. I think a lot of this needs to be taken into account whenever we start taking Nicklas Backstrom for granted. Kuznetsov has a long way to go to be as good a player as Backstrom much less be considered a better player.

Yes...He belongs on the 2nd line. Not with Ovechkin. Let him play with players that are complimentary to him rather than the other way around. Johansson is there to get him the puck and keep up with him. Burakovsky or Williams or Oshie are there to finish what he creates. Right now he is trying to serve the monster and being game planned against. If he needs confidence, skating with 8 is not the way to do it. Let him run wild a little

RaindanceMaggie

Sep 3, 2011
Vancouver
I would've liked to see Marc Crawford as an assistant here, great offensive minded coach and can let Barry and Todd focus on the rest of the game.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Is it really an overreaction from last night? .

Sure it is. There is no evidence that the lineup that Trotz is using is the lineup he would use if he was all in to win a given game. I think every line and defense pair save for Alzner and Niskanen is an experiment.

Look who Orlov was on the ice against. There is a rookie in his first professional games playing with the Caps treasured playoff hero and the new center they are proud to have gotten. They have an obviously struggling center playing with their top goal scorer.

I think the lineup looks very different if Trotz thinks he needs to win games

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad