Post-Game Talk: GOATvechkin Vs McJesus @ 9:30

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I think the lineup looks very different if Trotz thinks he needs to win games

I am starting to wonder if that is the problem. He thinks he needs defensively responsible play above all else. That didn't work last year, nor the year before. Inevitably the people he is trying to shelter or hide, have to get out there and perform, and they fail. They know the coach has no trust in them; their confidence, shot.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think the lineup looks very different if Trotz thinks he needs to win games

I am starting to wonder if that is the problem. He thinks he needs defensively responsible play above all else. That didn't work last year, nor the year before. Inevitably the people he is trying to shelter or hide, have to get out there and perform, and they fail. They know the coach has no trust in them; their confidence, shot.

I don't know, RH. You have long championed moving the lineup arounds to see what you have. You have to know that when you do that, many of these different combinations are not going to work. So where we have largely the same group of players as last season and they are deployed in a significantly different way. The resuls are mixed. And so, the reason for that is the coaching?

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Too slow, with randomized offense that goes AWOL sooner or later in playoffs.

There was reason to think last year that with additions of Williams and Oshie, Kuz and Bura improving, there HAS to be a way to come up with a top-6 with real chemistry. But it's been fleeting.

To me the default take is that to have a real chance to win the Cup, Caps will (once again) depend on a bunch of players having individually brilliant runs. Otherwise -- puncher's chance beating good teams 2-1 with Holtby levitating on his head, an Ovechkin snipe and a triple deflection off Williams's ass.

As for firing Trotz, sure, but unlikely. His teams seem to lose in a very dignified manner, and I think the Caps are comfortable with that, haha. Objectively, there's also the question about who exactly goes in his place -- because, hey, this is the do-or-die year, and some replacements may screw things up to a point where even the puncher's chance (Holtby + defensive formation + individual offensive talent) is somehow compromised.

But hey, it's sports, still time for unpredictable chemical reactions to take place. Maybe if Kuz went into a cocoon, he'll eventually emerge as a different beast altogether, able to consistently slow down time and bend space both for himself and any linemates. Etc..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad