GOAT goalscorer?

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
I think there is a clear upper tier of players who all have an argument to be the GOAT depending on how weight you put on peak, prime, longevity and playoffs but there is not a clear GOAT.

Richard
Howe
Hull
Wayne
Mario
Ovechkin

Wouldn't this make for an interesting HOH rankings project.

Reactions: Hockey Outsider

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
Take your pick...

1efe80f16f6034458ef53f0e7701ff11.jpg

Reactions: Morrison

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
how can bossy possibly be the GOAT if he only beat gretzky in two out of the eight seasons they were both in the league?

with everyone else, their goal scoring peaks didn't overlap so we can say we can't really know whether peak bobby hull vs peak mario vs peak gretzky vs peak rocket vs peak ovechkin would have been better. but bossy vs gretzky, we know.

steve141

Aug 13, 2009
how can bossy possibly be the GOAT if he only beat gretzky in two out of the eight seasons they were both in the league?

with everyone else, their goal scoring peaks didn't overlap so we can say we can't really know whether peak bobby hull vs peak mario vs peak gretzky vs peak rocket vs peak ovechkin would have been better. but bossy vs gretzky, we know.

I agree with this. While Bossy was an outstanding goal scorer, he clearly has no case as the greatest of all time considering Gretzky outscored him by far during his own career.

It's interesting that nobody's mentioned Phil Esposito, who lead the league in goel scoring six consecutive times (nobody else has done it more than four times in a row). On the other hand, I can't ignore that his goal scoring pace jumped by 57% the year he joined Orr's team and plummeted by 39% the year he left.

Reactions: Sentinel

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.

Did anyone else do so?

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010

Playoffs is the only angle where Bossy might have an edge against Gretzky.

In the same vein, Rocket Richard has a case for greatest of all-time based on playoffs.

To OP: We had this debate many times before, it's a tough one.I usually end up going with Mario.

Honestly I cannot get myself to put Gretzky or Howe #1 in that category.I don't buy it at the gut feeling level that one of them is the "greatest goalscorer ever".It doesn't feel right.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Bobby Hull for me. Followed by Richard and Ovechkin

Espo needs to be on your list of candidates as well. 717 goals, 1 70, 3 60, 1 50 G seasons. 0.56 gpg career, and an incredible 0.73 gpg over 9 years in Boston

Reactions: Killion

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site

In the same vein, Rocket Richard has a case for greatest of all-time based on playoffs.

To OP: We had this debate many times before, it's a tough one.I usually end up going with Mario.

Honestly I cannot get myself to put Gretzky or Howe #1 in that category.I don't buy it at the gut feeling level that one of them is the "greatest goalscorer ever".It doesn't feel right.

This is what makes this such an interesting discussion. How much does one factor in the playmaking element to the discussion where Wayne, Mario, and Howe are concerned.

Do they get bonus points for being the best playmakers at the same time as being the best goalscorers?

bobbyking

May 29, 2018

richards playoffs are overrated, there was 2 rounds, what are everyone elses numbers after 2 rounds?

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Well, you'd compare it to the Conference Final and Stanley Cup Final, not the first two rounds, right? Gretzky going ham on the 16th best team out of 21 (or whatever) isn't the same as what Richard was doing...

this. Richard scored 82 G in 132 playoff games playing in nothing but the equivalent of conference and cup finals today.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009

I don't get it though. By what metric does a guy like Bossy or Lemieux beat Gretzky? He has the raw totals, the peak years, the dominance versus peers, and a solid number of goal scoring "titles". Unless we are going to credit a guy who was injured/retired for things they didn't do, we can't place either above 99

Reactions: Sentinel

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
this. Richard scored 82 G in 132 playoff games playing in nothing but the equivalent of conference and cup finals today.

More like the 2nd and 3rd rounds actually. If you played a 4th seed in the o6, they might not make the playoffs in today's league.

That being said, all you need to know is how much better Richard was vs. his peers than the others were against their peers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad