Goaltending

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
As a long time fan of the Ottawa Senators franchise watching greats like Mike Bales, Craig Billington, and Don Beaupre, we should do the opposite. Trade for more goalies. I want a goalie lineup of Anderson-Luongo-Bishop-Lehner. Then draft 3 more this year and find guys in Europe.

Sensbrah

Apr 24, 2012
Anderson was terrific for us from roughly the mid-point of last season until our eventual playoff exit. The only blemish on his record last year was that he was a bit hot and cold to start... but given he missed a few games early for "personal reasons" who is to say that is entirely his fault? Perhaps there were off-ice family matters or similar issues impacting his play. I am not making excuses for his mediocre start but it is a possibility. And again, he had a great year overall. Better than the numbers would indicate I would argue. I felt more confident in him than any Sens goalie in history not named Hasek. And Lalime and Emery had some pretty decent years.

I can't believe some are even entertaining the idea of trading him. It doesn't matter how impressive Lehner has been in the AHL.... Sens fans should know better than anyone that you don't move proven, high-caliber NHL goaltending without a sure-fire replacement in line unless other circumstances are at play (e.g. the contract is simply too hefty, they are old enough that it is simply time to groom the replacement, etc).

Milan the God*

I think we should keep Andy around for a bit.

We've been known for having goaltender issues. We finally found a goalie who had a very solid year and a great playoffs for us, in Anderson. Now we should think about trading him to run with two goaltenders who are unproven at the NHL level?

Keep Anderson this year and have an Anderson/Bishop tandem. Next year, if Lehner keeps up his play for the rest of the year, run with a Anderson/Lehner tandem and start Lehner for 25-30 games. If Lehner looks like he can handle it, let him fight Anderson for the starting job in training camp the next year.

Don't know what happens with Bishop in all of this. But I think we need to stick with Anderson until Lehner forces him out. No need to rush our top goalie prospect.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
Anderson was terrific for us from roughly the mid-point of last season until our eventual playoff exit. The only blemish on his record last year was that he was a bit hot and cold to start... but given he missed a few games early for "personal reasons" who is to say that is entirely his fault? Perhaps there were off-ice family matters or similar issues impacting his play. I am not making excuses for his mediocre start but it is a possibility. And again, he had a great year overall. Better than the numbers would indicate I would argue. I felt more confident in him than any Sens goalie in history not named Hasek. And Lalime and Emery had some pretty decent years.

I can't believe some are even entertaining the idea of trading him. It doesn't matter how impressive Lehner has been in the AHL.... Sens fans should know better than anyone that you don't move proven, high-caliber NHL goaltending without a sure-fire replacement in line unless other circumstances are at play (e.g. the contract is simply too hefty, they are old enough that it is simply time to groom the replacement, etc).

I think a lot of people forget how absolutely brutal our D was for the first half dozen games or so. Made it really tough on Andy.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
I love how discriminatory this board is - Andy has played his ass off to get us in the playoffs but he's not Swedish (Amerikan - even worse) so he should be traded and then we put our hopes in a kid. Why can't we just appreciate Andy and his veteran leadership and experience? If Andy starts off the season 1-10 then so be it, but he's played better, especially vs NYR, than Lehner ever could on his best day.

wilfred

Jan 13, 2010
New Bunswick
anderson/bishop lehner stays down

Bishop plays 10 games(out of 30 ish) before the trade deadline in NHL, Sens hope that a few NHL goalies are struggling/Injured. Bishop is traded at the deadline.

Rumcajs

Jul 25, 2010
Ottawa
I hope Andy is ready to go. If not i could see Bishop being thrown into the mix without hesitation.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Don't trade anybody.

Andy gets 2/3 of the starts.

Bishop and Lehner fight it out for the remaining games.

If either impresses, they get the 2/3 and Andy gets the rest.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
Why are you guys so obsessed with only having 2 goalies? Having three goalies is the best situation. Their ages are separated perfectly so that as one retires the next will be ready to take over.

I get that you want to see our big prospect Lehner finally come of age but there is no need to rush things. Bishop spent how many years down in the minors and he's an amazing goalie!

Lehner is fine for the next couple of years. He's not going to get worse.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
I feel like trading Andy would just cause more headache.

I don't necessarily feel he's one of the best. But he is good enough, as well as he is a veteren goaltender. Honestly, I was worried last year when he went down.

Minus the first month, Andy was solid for us in net. He was great with the young kids and teaching as well.

I'm always tenative with young goalies, and think getting rid of Andy would put too much pressure on the two. I do think Lehner could handle that, but I think he needs to put in the hard work in the AHL first (I think last year he let it go a bit, but this year he's back in full force, and should be that way for a year).

QuietOnTheFront

@QuietOnTheFront
Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Anderson and Bishop in the NHL and Lehner playing loads of games in the AHL. Only move either Anderson or Bishop if the offer is too good to refuse. Otherwise keep both and continue on as the organization develops its solid goaltending depth.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
I love how discriminatory this board is - Andy has played his ass off to get us in the playoffs but he's not Swedish (Amerikan - even worse) so he should be traded and then we put our hopes in a kid. Why can't we just appreciate Andy and his veteran leadership and experience? If Andy starts off the season 1-10 then so be it, but he's played better, especially vs NYR, than Lehner ever could on his best day.

I don't think it's anything to do with nationality. It's the 'new toy' phenomenon. Same thing would happen if Anderson were Canadian and Lehner Russian.

That said, as others have pointed out, we have one of the best goaltending situations in franchise history. We have 3 goalies who've all had a great 2012 and all look like potential starting goalies in the NHL. After waiting for so long for just this kind of organizational competition, why would we get rid of it right away??

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
1) Whine about the GM for lack of goaltending
2) GM fixes the problem
3) Whine about the GM for too much goaltending depht

Rinse a repeat. Some people just can't be satisfied with anything.

/human nature

I think a lot of people forget how absolutely brutal our D was for the first half dozen games or so. Made it really tough on Andy.

Great point.. new players, new coaching staff... system was non-existent in those first 6 games

Andy stats without those games would look very good

I don't think it's anything to do with nationality. It's the 'new toy' phenomenon. Same thing would happen if Anderson were Canadian and Lehner Russian.

That said, as others have pointed out, we have one of the best goaltending situations in franchise history. We have 3 goalies who've all had a great 2012 and all look like potential starting goalies in the NHL. After waiting for so long for just this kind of organizational competition, why would we get rid of it right away??

Because we had to pay a lot to get it!

Elliott and two 2nd round picks! We can't afford to wait anymore! Let's trade them all fast because in 15 years they won't have any value left! Let's get more draft picks

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
I have the feeling Lehner will not want to stay in Binghamton next year. He'll have paid his dues amd want a shot.

Could be trouble if Murray decides to keep all three.

That said if Anderson gets an injury, we are still fine.

General Granny*

"@AJonSports: MacLean says Craig Anderson is the #1 goalie. Has confidence in Bishop and Lehner with how they've played in AHL. Says best guy will play."

He also says under 30 players at camp.

So what happens with Bishop if Lehner out plays him in camp.

My ideal situation would be for Andy/ Bishop at the start then one of them traded at deadline and bring up Lehner then.

Anca18

Aug 19, 2010
Ottawa, ON
IMO, we should stick with Andy/Big Ben in the NHL for at least until the trade deadline, whenever that will be. Even then, I'd hope Ben won't be shopped and I would be disappointed if we trade Andy as I believe he will be a great mentor in terms of mental discipline for Lehner.

In short, Andy/Bishop = NHL + Lehner = AHL until the trade deadline at least if not the whole season, trade Bishop at the deadline if we get offers, then shop Bishop in the summer and go with Andy/Lehner for 2013-14.

Yokai

Mar 29, 2011
Ottawa
IMO, we should stick with Andy/Big Ben in the NHL for at least until the trade deadline, whenever that will be. Even then, I'd hope Ben won't be shopped and I would be disappointed if we trade Andy as I believe he will be a great mentor in terms of mental discipline for Lehner.

In short, Andy/Bishop = NHL + Lehner = AHL until the trade deadline at least if not the whole season, trade Bishop at the deadline if we get offers, then shop Bishop in the summer and go with Andy/Lehner for 2013-14.

Agreed I think if Ottawa cannot hold onto to Bishop going into the 2013/2014 season, and he plays well this season, then they have to move him at the deadline. Giving up a second is a lot so I would like to see something come back in return instead of Bishop walking in July.

sensR4real

Apr 19, 2006
Ottawa
I put this in the Lockout over thread, but I'll bring it over here:

Lehner has played the majority of games in Bingo. Judging by his last performance (43 saves), he seems ready to go! Some goalies are ready at a young age. Andy and Bishop are both rusty to start the season.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
I agree with Maindot. You don't rely on an American goalie as your #1 if you have a perfectly good Swede in the wings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad