Goaltending

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
So, with Lehner and Bishop on fire and our holes on D, what are the chances we try to trade Anderson and run with a Lehner / Bishop 1/2?

I'm not advocating it but our guys in bingo are looking rock solid and we could use a young defender or two to fill in the voids. In this case we'd get to keep our young forward prospects and graduate a goalie from the CHL to help out in Bingo (I believe we have two decent prospects down there).

Discuss

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
I am a lot less high on Andy then the rest of the board, but we might be able to get the d we need

But only do it if Lehner is ready

NinjaSlap

Jun 4, 2011
So, with Lehner and Bishop on fire and our holes on D, what are the chances we try to trade Anderson and run with a Lehner / Bishop 1/2?

I'm not advocating it but our guys in bingo are looking rock solid and we could use a young defender or two to fill in the voids. In this case we'd get to keep our young forward prospects and graduate a goalie from the CHL to help out in Bingo (I believe we have two decent prospects down there).

Discuss

Probably 0%. Teams that need a goalie need either A) A franchise goalie, which Andy isn't. He's too old and is good, not great. B) A young goalie, like Cory Schneider which Andy is not.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
IF we were to trade Andy, which is a HUGE "if", it wouldn't happen IMO until, at the very earliest, the trade deadline (whenever that's going to be in this weird shortened season).

Doubt he gets dealt this year. Small chance for next year.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
The more pressing decision is about what happens with Lehner and Bishop in the next 10 days or so.

jhjhjhjhjhjh*

Are you sure Lehner is ready to be a starting goalie in the NHL? He's only 21 years old and that for a goalie is pretty young.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Are you sure Lehner is ready to be a starting goalie in the NHL? He's only 21 years old and that for a goalie is pretty young.
Seems like he accomplishes things more when he's younger. Lehner and maybe even Bishop will be better than Anderson in the 1st month.

Due to our defensive weakness, trading Andy is an interesting idea, but we already know Andy has made our D better.

jhjhjhjhjhjh*

Seems like he accomplishes things more when he's younger. Lehner and maybe even Bishop will be better than Anderson in the 1st month.

Due to our defensive weakness, trading Andy is an interesting idea, but we already know Andy has made our D better.

Lehner is very talented, I wouldn't want to rush him into the NHL. Afterall he is the goalie of the future so why not develop him correctly. Anderson can start for maybe 1 or 2 seasons.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
I put this in the Lockout over thread, but I'll bring it over here:

With the shortened season even a short losing streak will put a team out of the playoffs.

I think this is going to put a lot of extra pressure on each player to produce and especially the goalies.

I don't think that they will stay with any goalie for long when and if he reaches a dry stretch.
For instance, Auld would not be able to stick as back up this year,and its a good thing that Bishop has had some games in Bingo.

I think if either Anderson or Bishop falter we might see Lehner up here.

JoeSakic

Aug 15, 2006
Perhaps the Senators use the buyout option on Andy at the end of the season (assuming Bishop plays well in net as back up this year).

jhjhjhjhjhjh*

Perhaps the Senators use the buyout option on Andy at the end of the season (assuming Bishop plays well in net as back up this year).

His contract isn't that bad if Bishop is playing extremely well they could trade him easily. Alot of teams are desperately looking for goalies.

JoeSakic

Aug 15, 2006
Buyouts don't have to be about ridiculous contract amounts, they can be used to clear the way when there are logjams...if Bishop plays well this year and you have Lehner ready for the NHL next year plus you have Anderson under contract for what, 2 more years, why not cut him loose and clear the path?

Yokai

Mar 29, 2011
Ottawa
I don't care who has what deal; take the best goaltender in training camp. This season is going to be short and intense so go with the hot hand. If Lehner is the best goaltender we've got then play him.

source

Jul 13, 2008
I don't care who has what deal; take the best goaltender in training camp. This season is going to be short and intense so go with the hot hand. If Lehner is the best goaltender we've got then play him.

Agreed. He'll be ready sooner or later anyway.

That might mean trading Bishop for less than we would otherwise, but we aren't going to keep Lehner in Bingo for the difference between a 2nd and a 3rd round pick if he's the best goalie in camp.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Bishop backs up Andy, Lehner stays down.

Bishop becomes a deadline piece to move.

This.

/thread

That's obviously the pragmatic and logical way to deal with the situation, but it doesn't feel quite right.

But in an asset management standpoint, that's the best way to do it. We have the possiblity to get back our investment on Bishop. I'm not sure the Sens will look to do that now though, having 3 good goalies is never a bad thing

His contract isn't that bad if Bishop is playing extremely well they could trade him easily. Alot of teams are desperately looking for goalies.

Well, I'm not sure someone could pretend that Anderson contract is bad without looking like a complete tool. His contract is actually good. Just need to watch him play on a regular basis and forget about his 5-6 bad games in a season. He's a quality NHL goalie and is actually paid a lot less than Elite/Star goalies...

The Sens are just over the cap floor, it would be stupid as fans to expect your team to have all the steals contracts in the league, and what would it gives ya anyway? Not able to reach the cap floor?

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
no way. We have three goalies. Stash lehner in the AHL for this half year. If someone gets desperate then we can trade either andy or bishop, but otherwise, we have a good situation and can deal with it in the summer.

source

Jul 13, 2008
no way. We have three goalies. Stash lehner in the AHL for this half year. If someone gets desperate then we can trade either andy or bishop, but otherwise, we have a good situation and can deal with it in the summer.

And yet in the other thread you say playoffs or bust.... hmmm.

Play whoever is the best goalie in camp. This means:

Anderson/Bishop/Lehner as starter
Anderson/Bishop as backup

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
And yet in the other thread you say playoffs or bust.... hmmm.

Play whoever is the best goalie in camp. This means:

Anderson/Bishop/Lehner as starter
Anderson/Bishop as backup

playoffs or bust is why you dont trade away andy or bishop. We cant afford to lose our depth there and then have an injury.

defense is fixable. Karlsson, Methot, Philly, and Gonchar are capable. Benoit can handle bottom-pairing and 2nd pp duty as well. We have plenty of other futures to trade (noesen/puempel, this years picks, etc), no need to risk our goaltending depth.

source

Jul 13, 2008
playoffs or bust is why you dont trade away andy or bishop. We cant afford to lose our depth there and then have an injury.

defense is fixable. Karlsson, Methot, Philly, and Gonchar are capable. Benoit can handle bottom-pairing and 2nd pp duty as well. We have plenty of other futures to trade (noesen/puempel, this years picks, etc), no need to risk our goaltending depth.

I'm not in favour of making any trades with our goaltending right off the hop. If Lehner outplays Andy and Bishop, start him, period. He's been beasting it in the AHL and we should give him the chance to carry it over.

If 15-20 games later it seems he can handle NHL duty, trade Andy or Bishop depending on what makes more sense at the time.

DonthaveaCOWEN

Jul 29, 2010
Whatever they decide, chances are Bishop/Lehner is going to get AT LEAST 50/50 of the first 10 or so games while Andy gets into game shape again. Both Bish and the Lehner are playing great, might as well roll with them and hopefully get some early W's in the standings till Andy gets into a groove.

Germz

4th liners ftw
Aug 14, 2008
Toronto, ON
Obviously Lehner is looking great this year, but Anderson had a very strong playoff and IMO a very good season for us last year. I'm in no rush to send him packing.

We will be raiding Bingo for a few of their better players (Silf, probably some combination or Wiercioch / Boro / Benoit). I say let Lehner finish what he started down there. Keep Bishop as our NHL backup.

Trade Big Ben in the off-season and let Lehner and Anderson battle it out in camp in September.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad