Speculation: Goaltending problem?

Do you think goaltending is a problem going into the playoffs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

makbeer

Sep 28, 2006
Campbell is a playoff goalie. He was in the top 3 in postseason GAA and SV%, i have no doubt he will rise to the occasion. Give him at least a week rest before playoff

That is a lofty claim for a guy with 7 career playoff starts who couldn't overcome the pressure of an elimination game in 3 tries, and was 0-3 and sub .900 over those 3 games.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Varlamov won't waive for EDM, but apparently he is an option for us. That is big for us, considering most of our competition was on that list.

He isn't perfect, but I'd love to jettison Mrazek somewhere (Arizona?) and get Varlamov. At least Varly has been a starter before and has some limited playoff success.

It'll never happen, as I'm sure him wearing a Putin t-shirt 10 years ago is too much for Dubas to handle

Reactions: RaFe

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
That is a lofty claim for a guy with 7 career playoff starts who couldn't overcome the pressure of an elimination game in 3 tries, and was 0-3 and sub .900 over those 3 games.

To be fair, this team has a history of losing elimination games no matter who's in net.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006

whats your point ?
the past decade is filled with dozens and dozens of goalies with no experience winning series. besides vasil is anyone comfortable with bobrovsky or ullmark ? what have they ever accomplished ?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
It was everything Keefe could not to blame Marazek entirely for the loss against Arizona yes goaltending is a real problem it's cost them at least 10 points by itself.

Arizona twice, Colorado once, Vancouver, Columbus once, NYR once, Calgary once that's just off the top of my head I'm sure there is more

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I'm guessing the Leafs management wished they had Freddy Andersen back as their #1 right now, seeing as Leafs netminding has gone completely of the rails with their 1A/1B tandem plan for this year.

Andersen has played in 40 games and won 30 of them [record 30-8-2] with a GAA of 2.06 and a sparkling .929 sv%.

Meanwhile since Dec 1st Leafs sv% has bounced between 31st and 32nd ranked overall with the team struggling with sub .900 sv% for months now.

The Blueprint

Dec 4, 2018
I'm guessing the Leafs management wished they had Freddy Andersen back as their #1 right now, seeing as Leafs netminding has gone completely of the rails with their 1A/1B tandem plan for this year.

Andersen has played in 40 games and won 30 of them [record 30-8-2] with a GAA of 2.06 and a sparkling .929 sv%.

Meanwhile since Dec 1st Leafs sv% has bounced between 31st and 32nd ranked overall with the team struggling with sub .900 sv% for months now.
Freddy has certainly made me eat crow, he looked cooked after last year... Seems like this market has a tendency to destroy goalies confidence though.

Obviously the team in front is to blame for odd man rushes and not clearing the net all the time but there's no denying the goaltending has been hurting for awhile now, both goalies look like they have zero confidence.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

I seriously doubt the Leafs have any regrets. If anything, they are looking into why these goalies end up doing far worse than their norm. It is not normal for goalies to just go on wild down swings like this on a high end team, especially at the same time.

At some point the Leafs will likely have a serious look at Steve Briere and whether they need to explore other options. He has been here for 7 years and while the rest of our team has made major strides, our goaltending has not... At least not consistently. They seem to make a lot of fundamental and mental errors, and he is apparently a guy who prides himself on fixing those sides of goaltending.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Replaced a true #1 goalie with 2 backups playing like ECHL goalies. What's to regret ??

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Not exactly thread-worthy but just curious to see what percentage of people think goaltending is a problem going into the playoffs?

Personally, I don't think it is. I'm pretty confident that they'll likely be competent relative to the team in front of them; soup (or possibly stints of Mrazek) should likely make the timely stops when the time arises. The team is at least built to bail out goaltending even if that's not the norm. Goaltending consistency is Hogwarts sorcery to me but I feel this goaltending drought is at least a bit overblown even if it's costing them some regular season points.

Please continue the absolute lie that we don't have a goalie issue

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Please continue the absolute lie that we don't have a goalie issue
Sure.
1647214720580.png

Don't worry, just be patient.

Attachments

• 1647214668012.png
    1647214668012.png
    99.7 KB · Views: 7

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
All that proves is the rest of this team, especially the offense is elite. If they could get a save they'd be up with Carolina but they can't so they aren't
Mrazek has been in the league a while as a tandem goalie & is known to be streaky even for a goaltender; this is obviously the worst he's played his entire career. Luckily he's only the backup.

I doubt Campbell's ability fell off a cliff after being elite for the Leafs; the two are just in a slump at the same time while one is injured, so it's ugly ATM or the time being.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Mrazek has been in the league a while as a tandem goalie & is known to be streaky even for a goaltender; this is obviously the worst he's played his entire career. Luckily he's only the backup.

I doubt Campbell's ability fell off a cliff after being elite for the Leafs; the two are just in a slump at the same time while one is injured, so it's ugly ATM or the time being.

Supposedly Campbell has only had the injury a short time so that's not an excuse

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
We could use a colourful personality in net. Someone that will yell at the defense and hold them accountable. Lord knows coaching and management wont.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
We could use a colourful personality in net. Someone that will yell at the defense and hold them accountable. Lord knows coaching and management wont.

As long as they can yell at him when he fails to make a basic save.

Because nobody has held our goaltending accountable. Ever. Defense gets all of the criticism.

Even right now, defense gets as much criticism as the league worst goaltending right now, even though it is one of the better groups in the league.

Reactions: Seath The Scaleless

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
The Leafs need a legit 1 D and a 1 goalie to take a serious run. You can’t get that at the TDL and expect them to turn it around in a few weeks. It takes time. I hope Dubas doesn’t get sucked into trading a 1st round pick unless they can shed salary and add players with term to take a run next year. If the right deal comes along, go for it and don’t wait until the summer.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Campbell is a playoff goalie. He was in the top 3 in postseason GAA and SV%, i have no doubt he will rise to the occasion. Give him at least a week rest before playoff
He’s never done it before and was weak last year.

zacholistic

Nov 5, 2016
You had a good starting goalie (top5 goalie with good defence)... management just chose to play him too much last year while he was dealing with a long time knee injury which resulted in a bad season for him (this is pretty much known in the danish hockey world). Then all of you guys started shitting on him constantly and got high on the dream of a goalie who has never proven he could be a starter in NHL. So premature, so dumb.

Reactions: SwissLeaf

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
So if I took over for as leafs gm today, this is what I’d try and do. You need to hit a home run. The team really isn’t properly built imho but getting a dependable defence minded top 4 d man and a goalie would go a long way to give yourself a shot.

id pick up the phone, call Montreal. I would hammer out a deal for price and chariot. I am fully aware price hasn’t played yet, but I’ve heard he should be back soon. What would I offer? Mrazek (3.8 mil), Nylander (6.9 mil), Holl (2.0 mil), 2023 1st and N.Robertson for Price (5.5 mil) J.Anderson (5.5mil), chariot (1.75 mil)

Caphit to Toronto = 12.75 mil (Montreal retains 5 mil on price and half of the 3.5 on chariot)
Caphit to Montreal = 12.7 mil

once we agree to this deal, price has a no move clause, so I get permission to talk to price, see he would waive for Toronto AND to see how close of a return he is. Toronto replaces mrazek with price , holl with chariot and nylander with Anderson.

zacholistic

Nov 5, 2016
Also, where is the solid defense? Rielly? LOL hes not even a top30 D when it comes to actually defending... Muzzin used to be good, hes on his way over the hill. Then it all hangs on Brodie? Well, thats not ideal is it. This is the real problem right there. Goaltending is just half of the story. Always has been.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad